cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For your consideration, the Chinese Airstream.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
It even comes with its own "Personal Tailor" for those last minute alterations to your jeans at the campground and an "intelligent toilet". LOL.

New Style mobile House Travel Trailer Airstream trailer house trailer camper
I have a burn barrel in my yard.
16 REPLIES 16

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
Communist China isn't exactly the world standard for craftsmanship.

But then again, neither is Elkhart.

LOL....What is ironic is just about every piece of material used in Elkhart came from Communist China, from plywood to the steel used by LCI. If you imported the Chinese workers and paid them US wages in Elkhardt then you might have something, at least until they were Americanized in a few years and the work ethic goes in the poop shoot . Right now you get the final product as slapped together junk from either place.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Communist China isn't exactly the world standard for craftsmanship.

But then again, neither is Elkhart.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really need a US dealership so we can kick the tires. 80L water seems small. need 3x that.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Skibane wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
How much is shipping? That's where they're gonna get ya!

They pack the inside with cargo before loading it on the ship - The trailer is the cargo container!

Brilliant!

They could ship it on a RO-RO ship where it is pulled onto the vessel up the ramp then lashed to the ship. Very expensive way to do that. How this could be lashed inside a container is interesting, it would have to be an Open top style. Heavy equipment is loaded that way, then a tarp fastened on top.

If you scroll thru the linked page they have a picture of one inside a conex box. It looks like they removed the wheels, and maybe the axles, then stuff packing material between trailer and Conex box wall.

I bought 100 rapid cell phone charges through that Alibaba site for $0.75 each 3 years ago. I dissected one and compared it to a Samsung branded charger of which they were an exact copy. The insides appeared to be exactly the same. I sold most of them on Ebay for $8.00 each and am still using 4 or 5. Not sure I'm brave enough to try a trailer, or a bass boat LOL. Lots of Chinese boats on there also.

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Even at that price, I still can't understand why anyone would want to camp in a tin can.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

They pack the inside with cargo before loading it on the ship - The trailer is the cargo container!

Brilliant!

They could ship it on a RO-RO ship where it is pulled onto the vessel up the ramp then lashed to the ship. Very expensive way to do that. How this could be lashed inside a container is interesting, it would have to be an Open top style. Heavy equipment is loaded that way, then a tarp fastened on top.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Brilliant!

LOL. They learned that from US RV manufacturers. It's not uncommon for them to pack parts they provide for warranty repairs in a new unit being shipped to a dealer, just to save some nickels on shipping. One of the reasons your new trailer could sit at a dealer for months waiting for a warranty repair. The manufacturer saves a dime, the dealer gets the blame.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Typical of stuff from that country: They can't be bothered to design their own RV, so they copy one of our iconic brands, and even use the trademark name. D'bags.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:

Brilliant!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think I could get used to the door being on the wrong side.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PButler96 wrote:
1492 wrote:
Moot point as customs would confiscate the shipment.

Confiscate it for what? Perhaps if it's stuffed with Fentynal or something. You might have to jump through hoops such as making modifications to register it, but all sorts of vehicles are imported every day from everywhere. You might not ever be able to get it registered but If it comes in a conex on a ship and you pull it at the port, load it on a flatbed truck and truck ot home it's no different than buying a conex full of cheap sum ting wong phone chargers, or never charp Chinese chainsaws. A lot of junk on Alibaba is sold on Ebay by US sellers and it never touches the sellers hands, it's shipped direct from China to the buyer in the US, and the entire transaction is made with software automatically.

The cost to ship that POS over in a 40' Conex would be anywhere between $4000 to $8000+ depending on the market which is at the high end right now, and some other fees such as duties etc.

LOL, right?
Idk what would even spur a comment like that.
(Thinking back to when I bought a bridge that was made in China. It wouldn't fit in a Conex, but it fit on 3 barges. It didn't get confiscated.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Confiscate it for what? Perhaps if it's stuffed with Fentynal or something. You might have to jump through hoops such as making modifications to register it, but all sorts of vehicles are imported every day from everywhere. You might not ever be able to get it registered but If it comes in a conex on a ship and you pull it at the port, load it on a flatbed truck and truck ot home it's no different than buying a conex full of cheap sum ting wong phone chargers, or never charp Chinese chainsaws. A lot of junk on Alibaba is sold on Ebay by US sellers and it never touches the sellers hands, it's shipped direct from China to the buyer in the US, and the entire transaction is made with software automatically.

The cost to ship that POS over in a 40' Conex would be anywhere between $4000 to $8000+ depending on the market which is at the high end right now, and some other fees such as duties etc.