cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the gas RV Fifth Wheel Hauler's out here.

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I've been researching for a used 6 sitter truck. That can tow a fifth wheel GVWR 17K. Boy, it is truly a mind blowing experience!
I started with diesel. But, from my research. Diesel would use a lot of unwanted gas consumption using it as my everyday vehicle. We live in New England and the hard starting at 6:30am 5 days week to get my girls to school. That would be a challenge I think.
my girls and I only RV 2 months in the summer. Then a few weekends in the Spring/Fall. Then it goes into hibernation for the New England winter.
Right now I'm towing our Jayco Flight 32 TSBH GVWR 10,900LBS with a Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab gas/FlexFuel.. GVWR12,200LBS/10,000LBS!

I have talked with my mechanic and he told me, nope do not get diesel... Just put adds on your F250 gasser and it'll do just fine.... Umm, after researching, reading tons of stuff... He could be putting my children and my life in harms way with 17K LBS behind us going 60 on a freeway in our F250.

Can anyone who pulls a fifth wheel with a gas truck help me in determining if that's impossible to do or if there is a used truck floating out there for sale. That can pull it safely and not prematurely damage the gas engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
66 REPLIES 66

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you 1jeep.
I'll definitely be looking there!!
Thank you Hawkeyes-08.
I'm open to any truck. Just want it to be a long lasting one.
With proper care of course.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for information, the GMC will have higher standard trim levels than Chevrolet (and higher price to go with it). The Denali is the deluxe trim level.

I would offer that you can get more truck with Chevrolet for the same money unless you are set on all the bells and whistles. Those bells and whistles can push a $50k truck into $70k prices.

Keep looking and asking... develop a "must have/don't want/would be nice" list. Check it each time you are looking at a truck.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Some good info has already been said, I will add this. If you are set on a ford you should be able to find a lightly used 2015/2016 6.7 as there have been many people trade up for the new style 2017, not to mention leasing is ending soon on some 2015 models. For $50k you should easily be able to find something, I purchased my 2016 drw platinum form prime ford out in auburn, they had a ton of trucks and were great to deal with.

I paid $60k out the door, this was about 14k off the sticker after rebates and such.

http://www.primefordauburn.com/

also my platinum came with supplemental heater, heated seats, heated steering wheel and remote start. in the winter just push that button go out and everything is toasty warm. im sure GM and Ram also have similar offerings.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
mattmountz94 wrote:
I wouldn't try to pull that thing with gas. For one you lose out on the exhaust brake which is a huge benefit of diesel. Second the mileage on the diesel will be better even driving around town. I think you should highly consider a dually with that amount of weight. I am running a RAM 3500 SB SW with 14k. I am looking to get a heavier trailer soon and when I get another truck it will be a dually

Gas engines don't NEED an exhaust brake...they get it from the closed throttle.

I would look for a Ford F450 or F550, with the 30-valve V10 gas engine. It will tow 17K with no trouble.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer
That's awesome information FireGuard. Thank you.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I would be VERY Leary of buying a used diesel truck with all the flood vehicles that will be hitting the market soon.
Even new ones may require a little more thorough inspection.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Rod3rd, Grit dog, Jerem0621 for the info, advice.
Honestly speaking. I'll be going with a certified per owned, or new from a nationwide dealer.
With a lot of the unknown of a Diesel engine on my part. Plus, my type of luck in life...
I want to up all my chances of getting a great diesel truck!
Thanks to everyone for the advice and opinions!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Repaintes are very common with used cars. I had a CarMax manager tell me that they repaint a lot of bumpers and hoods just to clean them up before they sell the cars.

That 'damage' is not significant and I probably wouldn't have given it much of a second thought. Of course I am more concerned about how the vehicle runs and then it's cosmetics secondarily.

My truck was bought used, it has some scratches in the paint...it was used as a truck by its former owner and I am continuing that use type. Trucks that get used tend to show their use. You can have the dealer address these items, but it will cost you some.

Also, Dually trucks tend to rub curbs and stuff. Most people have a hard time judging the size of these trucks and can kiss other things as they are maneuvering them. Heck, a lot of folks have an issue with half ton trucks in tight spots.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,
I need a new mechanic.
If your speaking of the Gem Module. Wished I had found them up for sale for that much 5 months ago... We did find one on EBay for 1,200.00.
The point of pictures was to show damage on a used vehicle. That was not documented or acknowledged by the dealership..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And the scratches hub cap likely has nothing to do with the bumper. Duallies scrub the front lug nuts all the time on stuff.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mommytwo6girls wrote:
Shift_85.... My mechanic said Ford stopped replacing them. So, we hunted for 2 months... The rental bill for a rental was killing me. So, said goodbye to my Excursion..

You still need a new mechanic.
I googled it and seen a dozen options from $172 to $289 in literally 5 seconds.

Yes that Jimmy has been hit/repaired but that doesn't mean there's any more than cosmetic issues. Without more knowledge it may be the perfect truck that you can get a better deal on because someone did a half @ssed repair.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
jus2shy wrote:
Well, with that budget, you can certainly get a new rig. Especially if you bide your time and wait for a decent sale. Rule of thumb is that without a sale, you should be able to knock of 10k from the sticker price on a diesel. Fords may be a little tougher to deal on for the time being because the current truck is new from the ground up. However, if any dealers have a left-over previous model truck, you can probably get it for a deep discount. RAM's trucks are currently the bargain king. You could probably deal a bit for GM's since the current truck has been out for a couple years now as well.

Also, be aware of other buying options. If you have a USAA membership, they have a purchase program. Same with Costco membership. Thats an alternative route you can go for buying if you don't like bargaining.

Keep us posted!

...and I think you'll find you can get the Ram Cummins for about $10K less than the Ford. Both are great trucks but the price of the Ram and the proven Cummins engine swayed my decision.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer

Hope this works Shift_85!
Thank you!
Here is the pictures.

Please tell me. My gut instinct was right about this truck having Front in damage. But, didn't file with their insurance.... The Carefax is clean...
Even the black plastic casing of the fog lights. Had white paint on them in areas.. You had to be looking hard to catch it...The Fog light casing on the passenger side were that damage hubcap in located. It was popping out just enough. If you was looking good at it. You could see inside behind it.

Mommytwo6girls
Explorer
Explorer
Shift_85.... My mechanic said Ford stopped replacing them. So, we hunted for 2 months... The rental bill for a rental was killing me. So, said goodbye to my Excursion..