Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Food: Storage and stovetop oven

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We have been looking at collapsible containers. Looking for ones that are microwave safe. What are your experiences with this type of container? Anybody using a stovetop oven using the gas burner?

Thanks, Jeff Drennan
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18
6 REPLIES 6

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a Coleman Camp Oven for a number of years. It works great for me.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Bedlam
We mostly use ceramic and glass cooking containers since they can be used in an oven, in a microwave or on a stove top. They are heavy and can crack but being able to use them everywhere is why we chose them. I do have a non-stick pan to fry things and one of the glass tops fits it, so one material is not the sole solution.

I have had poor lock with collapsible plastic wear not lasting longer than a couple of years before it starts to leak yet cheap containers from food products last a long time as long as you do not heat in them.

We have a convection/microwave and also a toaster oven we use outside when it is hot inside. Either one runs off shore or generator power but we do have to watch how much more we load the circuits if the air conditioner or fireplace/heater is also running.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you find an oven that fold up, they take a lot of room. I never had any luck with the stove top oven that I had. You have to sit there and watch the temp very closely or you end up with a lot of burned food.
Taking up about the same amount of room would be a toaster oven. We use on on the deck at home with good luck for pizza, biscuits, etc. The toaster oven that we have is also an air-fryer that cooks french fries, pizza rolls, etc and reheats leftover pizza well. I have never felt that it was worth the storage to take it with me.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Used a stove top oven quite often while tent camping (we've now gone to a 5-th wheel). Worked fine for some things (biscuits and muffins), but wouldn't use it for any large/tall things. If I remember correctly, temp was at about 305 F.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Finding containers that work well take research.
For example gallon milk bottle will not fit on the door, but if you use bottle from Clamato (?) juice, it will.
We do use RV ovens. You have to bare in mind that they are small, therefore will not keep steady temperatures like household ovens.
Easier to burn something, when learning thermostat tolerances is always new lesson even on $10000 household ovens.
Nothing like fresh hot Croissant on the morning at the lake.
But not in the summer when we have 100F.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using the collapsible storage containers for sometime and they do work fine in a microwave. Try to get the square containers and the round are harder to store.

Years ago i used a Coleman stove top oven and I was not impressed with it.