cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a 3500 series truck to test drive....

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is my dilema. I currently have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I'm looking to get a new truck and I like the SRW GMC 3500's. My only issue is...nobody has any on the lot to test drive. And any that are in transit are already sold so no test driving when they get one in. How can we be expected to pay $75,000 for a vehicle we can not even take a test drive in?

So does anybody here have any experience going from an older Dodge to a newer GM? Is the ride better?
I'm sure it will be a better experience than praying the Dodge doesn't go into another death wobble when I hit the next pothole.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
39 REPLIES 39

schlep1967 wrote:
Was just on GMC's website where you can chat with an expert to find the vehicle you want. He found one for me to test drive. Only a nine hour round trip for a test drive. I don't think I'm making that trip.

Only 9 hours?? that's probably $500.00 in fuel now ! ! :S
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was just on GMC's website where you can chat with an expert to find the vehicle you want. He found one for me to test drive. Only a nine hour round trip for a test drive. I don't think I'm making that trip.

schlep1967 wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for the no response, I was away from the computer. The older 2500 Dodge's with the diesel are well known for the poor front end. I already spent $3,000 on the front end once and 5 years later I am looking at doing it again. I am also looking at a heavier 5th wheel so I want to go to a 3500/1 ton. The length of my garage dictates it will need to be a short bed so SRW is where I need to be.
I have used the GMC search option and contacted all of the dealerships within 50 miles trying to find a truck to drive. As for Ram's, a search for them found one DRW within 200 miles.
We are getting prepared for retirement and we will be traveling across the country putting many miles on. I want to be comfortable in whatever truck I end up buying.

If you wanna PM me the specifics of the truck you are look for, I will keep an eye out over here for you... I also know a few people that MAY be able to keep an eye out as well
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for the no response, I was away from the computer. The older 2500 Dodge's with the diesel are well known for the poor front end. I already spent $3,000 on the front end once and 5 years later I am looking at doing it again. I am also looking at a heavier 5th wheel so I want to go to a 3500/1 ton. The length of my garage dictates it will need to be a short bed so SRW is where I need to be.
I have used the GMC search option and contacted all of the dealerships within 50 miles trying to find a truck to drive. As for Ram's, a search for them found one DRW within 200 miles.
We are getting prepared for retirement and we will be traveling across the country putting many miles on. I want to be comfortable in whatever truck I end up buying.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
My 2008 3500 SRW 4x4 Ram has never "death wobbled". That said, I bet a 2022 3500 GM would be a nice truck but what if it didn't drive better?

As subjective as what "drive better" means, I think there is zero chance of that.

Everywhere but rv.net land, anywaysโ€ฆlol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Seriously, I would make the effort and have the death wobble fixed. On my old 2004, it was ball joints, replaced them, no more wobble. As for reliability, I would take any 5.9 Cummins before any GM or Ford. Ford feels like driving a brick, GM's seats are like milk crates.

I haven't driven a GM but I've driven two recent model year Super Duty diesels, an F-250 and an F-350 and honestly I didn't like the way either one drove very well. They felt very isolated from the road, the steering had no feel to it and the turning radius sucked. They're nice trucks and are certainly faster than my Cummins, and they shifted better. Roomier back seat too which matters to me with 3 kids. I'd definitely buy a new Ram CTD over the Super Duty again if I had a do-over, though. GM, I don't know - the current models look pretty nice on paper.

I'm not a big Ford fan but I did own two 2004 E350 based RVs. One had the problem of absolutely no road feel at all - it was like driving a video game. The other drove perfectly fine. An engineer friend of mine who had worked for Ford at one time told me the drive systems used were "fly-by-wire" and a simple adjustment to the firmware could solve the problem which could be done by any Ford Dealer who serviced trucks. Got rid of the bad one before doing that though.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
My 2008 3500 SRW 4x4 Ram has never "death wobbled". That said, I bet a 2022 3500 GM would be a nice truck but what if it didn't drive better?

As subjective as what "drive better" means, I think there is zero chance of that.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

shades9323
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Last two of three trucks that were new, I ordered, not test drives. Drove all three for 200K miles. All were GM's. Pretty much did the same with my 2014 use 1500 I drive now. Took it for a drive when I went to pay for it.

Not saying dont get a test drive, but trucks today are way better than the first new one I bought back in 81.

Marty

When I went to pick mine up they asked if I wanted to test drive it first. I was like nope, lets sign that paper work.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I test drove my 2019 Chevy on the 11.5 hour drive home, Idaho was the closest I could find a long bed diesel in white. Canโ€™t imagine trying to find one now.

blt2ski
Last two of three trucks that were new, I ordered, not test drives. Drove all three for 200K miles. All were GM's. Pretty much did the same with my 2014 use 1500 I drive now. Took it for a drive when I went to pay for it.

Not saying dont get a test drive, but trucks today are way better than the first new one I bought back in 81.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The GM 1 ton trucks ride the best of any 1 ton with the possible exception on the Ramโ€™s with the air ride option.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My 2003 RAM 3500 turns 20 y/o this year.
Never had DW.

shades9323
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
shades9323 wrote:
I went from a 2014 Ram 1500 to a Chevrolet 2500 HD without a test drive. I was lucky to find a truck in stock. The guy who originally ordered it got tired of waiting. I got my truck. Win win I guess.

What is it that you are worried about that a 20 min test drive will tell you?

A lot of truth in that. Being a GM guy, especially easy. You can test drive about any GM HD and get an approximate feel of the suspension and interior layout. Test driving any used gm diesel from '20 to current will give you a feel of the engine, nothing substantial has changed since '20. I like the look of the GMC as well, I am ok with the Chevy version but the GMC AT4 is a great looking truck.

They do look good. I like my cherry red tintcoat z71 LT. I think it looks sharp! ??

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
shades9323 wrote:
I went from a 2014 Ram 1500 to a Chevrolet 2500 HD without a test drive. I was lucky to find a truck in stock. The guy who originally ordered it got tired of waiting. I got my truck. Win win I guess.

What is it that you are worried about that a 20 min test drive will tell you?

A lot of truth in that. Being a GM guy, especially easy. You can test drive about any GM HD and get an approximate feel of the suspension and interior layout. Test driving any used gm diesel from '20 to current will give you a feel of the engine, nothing substantial has changed since '20. I like the look of the GMC as well, I am ok with the Chevy version but the GMC AT4 is a great looking truck.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1