Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally getting a camper!

sbodi4d
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all.
Been lurking here for a few years, posting sporadically. Hopefully by this time next week, we will be the proud owners of a new 2014 Rockwood HW296!
I have a 2007 Silverado 1/2 ton truck to haul it with. My question is, should I get a WDH or just go with the TV the way it is? Truck has a factory installed towing package rated at 5000 lbs, towing weight, and 600lbs. hitch weight. The new Popup is rated at 373lbs. hitch weight, and 4573lb. GVW. Can't decide whether a WDH would be needed, or not. Hate to spend the dough if it is not needed. Thanks for all the advice I have gleaned so far.
2007 Silverado 1500 5.3L/3.42 gear ratio.
2013 Honda CRV
22 REPLIES 22

sbodi4d
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice! My TV does have a factory installed hitch, not a bumper mounted ball. I have a 2" drop, and a 4" drop receiver ready to go. Thanks for the heads up on the shocks, and alignment. I will try it without the WDH on the way home after picking it up. It will be a 300 mile trip, so I should know pretty quickly how she does. My hitch says with a WDH the towing capacity is 10,500lbs. and 1,100lb tongue weight, so if I think I need a WDH, it will well exceed the campers specs. Can't wait to pick it up and get out to the campground. We have been tent camping since we were married 36 years ago. The last time we went camping a herd of Javelinas attacked our tent, and got into the ice chest (I inadvertently left it on the ground instead of putting it in the bed of the TV like I usually do), and my DW hasn't wanted to go camping since then!

We had the grandkids with us, and that made it worse for her. I had my pistol with me just in case, and she said, you can't shoot them! I said just watch me! If it comes between my family's safety, and a Javelina, he's gonna loose every time!!!
2007 Silverado 1500 5.3L/3.42 gear ratio.
2013 Honda CRV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I towed our PUP with a Chevy Mini-van for over 6 years all over this country and never used any weigh distribution bars. I towed a pop-up, some 28 years ago, with a Chevy S-10 without WD bars. Both vehicles did just fine. For your 1/2 ton, I think you'll be just fine. Do make sure you get a hitch and ball set up so the trailer tows level. You may have to get a step-up or step-down hitch and ball so it will tow level with your 1/2 ton.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Hook it up and check the amount of squat at the rear tire. If it's one inch or less you're good to go. You want your best tires on the rear as a low tire or flat there makes for the worst instability. Check for rise at the front tire. You don't want any unloading there or it will result in instability too. Test drive. If everything doesn't seem solid then go to a weight distribution hitch with 500# bars. If you haven't replaced your shock absorbers it's probably time to do that. Have your tie rod ends checked for play. If everything's in good shape you should be OK but you're not too far off from it being an automatic requirement.
Currently Between RVs

Seymore
Explorer
Explorer
We never had one for our Jayco PUP and it towed just fine.
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
Trailer 2014 Rockwood Roo 21SS Equalizer Hitch

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't need one. Hook it up and see how much rise you get on the front wheels that would indicate the front is being unloaded by the tongue weight. My guess is that you won't see much. I'm running in the neighborhood of 425lbs with my truck and have very little change when I am towing.

If you really wanted to quantify it, hook up and go weigh where you can weight each axle. Get a weight with the camper attached and then without. The difference on the front axle weight is how much the tongue weight is unloading the front.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe a WDH is needed IMO.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I would try it without first. The tongue weight will increase as you put stuff in the pup, I would load it up like you think you would for a camping trip and see how she does. If the tongue is too heavy then you can get the WDH. My little 8' pup has around 325 lbs on the tongue when I am loaded up to travel.

Those highwall Rockwoods are nice campers, you are sure to enjoy it.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If your ball right is not mounted in your step bumper I would try it out first.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"