cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Farewell Message...Final Post

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our camper today. It was very sad watching it being pulled out of the drive for that last time. 😞
I just found out a few weeks ago that I have terminal cancer...3 to 6 months to live. Suddenly priorities have been rearranged, and camping didn't make the 'must do' list.
Anyway, don't feel badly for me because I'm still feeling good and will totally enjoy the time I have left.

I spent well over an hour with the couple who bought our camper and simply amazed and overwhelmed them with my knowledge of my rig and my ability to 'educate' them during our walk through. Remembering back when we got our first camper, like them we knew NOTHING about weight distribution, towing capacity, camper maintenance...NOTHING. Everything we learned, we learned from the good folks at RV.net. I am grateful for this site and don't know how I would have done without it!
I made sure to jot down the name of this site, and the new owners are anxious to join. Thank you all again for the knowledge and wisdom you so unselfishly share with the entire camping community.
Tom Miller
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#
36 REPLIES 36

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
classicdude wrote:
I don't what to say. It has taken me a long time to read these replies, since the tears have sooo obscured my vision. I'm overwhelmed by the kindness you all have shown. Sharing this with the camping community was wonderful therapy for me, and for that I thank each and ever one of you.

I spent so much of my life self absorbed, thinking mainly of myself and MY personal wants that I often dropped the ball on the really important things in life...my wife, God, my kids, and to a lesser degree my grand kids (I had evolved pretty well by the time the grand kids came along). Camping changed much of that over the last several years since it's such a family oriented activity.

I am so thankful that I have the chance for a re-do, if only for short time. My main mission now is getting affairs in order so my wife will be able to transition, in the least painful way possible, to life without me. I am trying to find the right words to tell her to move on as soon as she can and hopefully find someone else to grow old with-someone who will cherish her as I do. That's very hard to say, and probably just as difficult to do, but I don't want her to be alone.

I feel I am rapidly making amends for my past failings...oh, and I talk to God daily! It's funny how the reality of our mortality can change our attitudes isn't it? It's not over for me just yet. I had another great day today and can still do anything I want to do only a lot slower, but I am starting feel fear, not overwhelming, but fear nonetheless.

Final thought: Hold those you love closely and tell them, show them, just how much you love them. Take a daily break from the stress of your busy day to look around at the trees, flowers and birds, and take note of all the things that you may have never noticed before. Of course as campers you probably already do this! I better quit before I get pathetic. 🙂

I know I'm late to this post but it seems that you just summed up probably the best "words of wisdom" that could ever be written,and you show incredible strength and courage in them. In the last 12 months I have lost two of my dearest friends to cancer that came out of nowhere and took their lives at 47 and 53 respectively within 8 months of being diagnosed.I will say a prayer for you and your family and wish them well moving forward. I would say stay strong but obviously you already seem to be one of the strongest people out there. Best of luck.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
😞 thinking of you and your family.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
classicdude wrote:
I don't what to say. It has taken me a long time to read these replies, since the tears have sooo obscured my vision. I'm overwhelmed by the kindness you all have shown. Sharing this with the camping community was wonderful therapy for me, and for that I thank each and ever one of you.

I spent so much of my life self absorbed, thinking mainly of myself and MY personal wants that I often dropped the ball on the really important things in life...my wife, God, my kids, and to a lesser degree my grand kids (I had evolved pretty well by the time the grand kids came along). Camping changed much of that over the last several years since it's such a family oriented activity.

I am so thankful that I have the chance for a re-do, if only for short time. My main mission now is getting affairs in order so my wife will be able to transition, in the least painful way possible, to life without me. I am trying to find the right words to tell her to move on as soon as she can and hopefully find someone else to grow old with-someone who will cherish her as I do. That's very hard to say, and probably just as difficult to do, but I don't want her to be alone.

I feel I am rapidly making amends for my past failings...oh, and I talk to God daily! It's funny how the reality of our mortality can change our attitudes isn't it? It's not over for me just yet. I had another great day today and can still do anything I want to do only a lot slower, but I am starting feel fear, not overwhelming, but fear nonetheless.

Final thought: Hold those you love closely and tell them, show them, just how much you love them. Take a daily break from the stress of your busy day to look around at the trees, flowers and birds, and take note of all the things that you may have never noticed before. Of course as campers you probably already do this! I better quit before I get pathetic. 🙂

This is a great post and the attitude I try to live with every day. Admittedly I fall short frequently, but I lost my mother at a pretty young age, and cherish every day I've got with my wife and our 6 kids.

I prey for you and your family and greatly admire your outlook. Enjoy your life, never quit fighting, and keep your faith in God.

Be strong.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, I am glad you could share your experience with the young couple but also that you could share something so personal as your diagnosis with terminal cancer. You will be in our prayers as live your life for the remaining time you have with your family. Make the most of the good days and try not to worry of those not so good days. Know that you have been a positive impact to many here and in Illinois.

God Bless you and your family with strength and understanding. Saying a special prayer for you all!

Steven
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

bobbyblue
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, I'm so sorry about your illness. I want to thank you for your heartfelt post. You sure put in perspective on what really matters in life. It sure made me stop and think about putting too much time in much less meaningful things. Raising a family has to be one of the most difficult challenges we can ever face in life and we all fall short in many ways. I'm sure you did your best and I can bet their are some very very fine results because of the way you lived. I believe that life is about touching people, not as much physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. You touched myself as well as many others on this forum with your genuineness, honesty and by sharing your vulnerabilities. As I'm sure you touched many others throughout your life's journey. I will pray that God holds you and your family very close to him at this most difficult time. God Bless with much Love and Thank You again. Rob

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. Your priorities are where they should be, with family and loved ones.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

eastern_shore_g
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom, God bless you and comfort you. You have an amazing outlook and seem to have found peace. I pray your peace is from the Lord and is everlasting. Take care of your family brother.

Peace by with you.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,
You truly are a Classicdude!! Thank you so much for all your help over the years! Our prayers are with you and your family.
Bill

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Can I just say I love you? Thanks for being so inspirational for the rest of us. I hope to be half as amazing as you are, if something like what you are dealing with comes my way.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers your way from WA.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, stay strong. You will be in my families prayers. The trip we are taking this weekend is dedicated to you.
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,
Prove them wrong and live twice as long. Make the best of every day.
Cancer has taken a few in our family including one this week. Our thoughts are with you.
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#