cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 tow vehicle

thoms
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, I need a little advice, just got a 2001 ford f150 ext cab. with a 5.4L motor. GVWR 6300 lbs. I think it has the 3.31 rear end.
it also has the full towing pkg. hitch,shocks,cooling,etc.
looking to buy another tt. 20`to22` range.
My question is can I safely tow around 5500 to 6000 lbs???
Wish I could give more info, but no manual came with it.
I have all the equipment from last camper, WD bars,hithc,sway control
ect. just can`t find how much to tow.
Thanks for any help.
24 REPLIES 24

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Camper G wrote:
if that's the case, i Wonder where TL gets their info from then? they have to get it from some source.

They get and print exactly what their advertisers tell them to. You might as well be listening to the salesman on the "Honest John's" RV lot.

Read any of the reviews in Motorhbome and or Trailer Life magazines... have they ever reviewd a coach they did not love and fawn over? Even when the "actural" numbers scream this rig is piece of garbage the article spends multiple paragrapghs telling you how great is inspite of...

Arrrg!

:S

Good info. Thanks. I've never read the magazine, only used the towing guides. Sorry to read here they are not unbiased. Good to know.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper G wrote:
if that's the case, i Wonder where TL gets their info from then? they have to get it from some source.

They get and print exactly what their advertisers tell them to. You might as well be listening to the salesman on the "Honest John's" RV lot.

Read any of the reviews in Motorhbome and or Trailer Life magazines... have they ever reviewd a coach they did not love and fawn over? Even when the "actural" numbers scream this rig is piece of garbage the article spends multiple paragrapghs telling you how great is inspite of...

Arrrg!

:S

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:

It's not as detailed as Ford's guide.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Ford's Towing Guide is so much better than not only TL, but Dodge and GM too.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
Camper G wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Camper G wrote:
i towed the rig in my sig with a 2000 Ford expedition eddie bauer for 2 years with no issues. it had the 17" wheels also, which reduced tow rating.

Actually that is not true. 17 inch wheels in fact adds 500lb to the tow rating. Look at the manual. I had a 2002.

the info i mentioned i believe came from trailer life's towing guide. makes sense too as with the same gear, 3.31, a larger diameeter tire will reduce torque manipulation and thereby reduce tow rating. if you want to argue the outside diameter of the 16" versus 17" wheels/tires are the same, i can't prove it either way, but I'd believe the 17s are larger overall.

maybe your correct, i don't have the info from TL handy to quote it. i believe it had a 6900 lb tow rating if i remeber correctly.

Ford's Towing Guide is WAY better than Trailer Life's lousy towing guide.

Thanks for this info! I just looked up my F150 and found it had 1400 more lbs of trailer weight rating than I thought with my configuration.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Camper G wrote:
i towed the rig in my sig with a 2000 Ford expedition eddie bauer for 2 years with no issues. it had the 17" wheels also, which reduced tow rating.

Actually that is not true. 17 inch wheels in fact adds 500lb to the tow rating. Look at the manual. I had a 2002.

the info i mentioned i believe came from trailer life's towing guide. makes sense too as with the same gear, 3.31, a larger diameeter tire will reduce torque manipulation and thereby reduce tow rating. if you want to argue the outside diameter of the 16" versus 17" wheels/tires are the same, i can't prove it either way, but I'd believe the 17s are larger overall.

maybe your correct, i don't have the info from TL handy to quote it. i believe it had a 6900 lb tow rating if i remeber correctly.

Ford's Towing Guide is WAY better than Trailer Life's lousy towing guide.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper G wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Camper G wrote:

Well. Truth is. IF you are comparing 16 to 17 inch. You are correct. I foolishly thought we were comparing 17s to 18s. My manual only compared 17s, and 18s. My bad.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
BTW.. they are not small full sized trucks. It was the first body style of the sloped front end. But that trucks dry Weight is just a little less than my current SCREW.
Jeremiah

Glad you pointed this out. Those trucks are essentially the same size weight as all the rest of the half tons then and now.

My '97 F150, same basic body and drive train options, came with the 4.6L V8 and 3.55 gears. It sucked to tow my 6000 lb trailer with it, until I upgraded to 4.10s. Still didn't win any races, but it was competent. The rear springs were kind of soft, so I added a leaf. That truck was awesome for towing hauling after that. It was usually loaded with a couple small ATVs, gas, firewood, etc. which put it over GVWR, but usually under GAWR. It was a great truck for many years.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Camper G wrote:

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper G wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
i towed the rig in my sig with a 2000 Ford expedition eddie bauer for 2 years with no issues. it had the 17" wheels also, which reduced tow rating. the truck had the 5.4 and i believe 3.31 gears, not optiomal for towing

my rig is around 6k loaded and it pulled out just fine, even in the mountains. it had the factory lls which i hated.

I'm sure i was probably over my payload limit, but never checked.

i think if you watch your weights, you'll be fine if you stay under 6k loaded weight and 25' or under for the TT, Again, considering the truck is sound mechanically. good luck

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh the new tow vehicle, or accept all the guesses our members are offering. It would not surprise me if you only have a few hundred pounds of payload available after loading up the vehicle with people and gear. 6,300 minus actual weight equals actual payload.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled my 31.5 ft which was 4,950 lbs dry home with a 3:31, 5.4 equipped Expedition. Let me tell ya, it was miserable.

I bought a F150 super cab with the 5.4 and 3:55 gears and it towed much better. Imho opinion based on experience, dump those 3:31 gears and step up to 4:10.... thatโ€™s what I wished I had done.

One thing, make sure you have a transmission cooler...you will fry the transmission without it.

There is a small cooler on the drivers side in front if the radiator. Donโ€™t mistake this for the Transmission cooler. Itโ€™s the power steering cooler.

BTW.. they are not small full sized trucks. It was the first body style of the sloped front end. But that trucks dry Weight is just a little less than my current SCREW.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~