cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-450 V10 Battery cover?

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Changed out the Battery today in my 2012 F-450 chassis cab flatbed. V-10 engine. Noticed the battery has some sort of wrapping material around it. Ford is calling this part a battery cover assembly. Has a Ford part number of BC3Z-10A687-A. Anybody know what purpose this serves? thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I'm thinking protection from heat would be the main player here. We all know Ford would not spend money on any part that had no benefit. So I guess to some degree there is logic behind the part and all the time and money spent on R & D to produce the part.

FordMastertech
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
Yes it is an insulator and my dealer said its mainly for cold weather and he advised to take off here in Az. I have had them on several vehicles and took all off and suffered no ill effects afterwards.

So its your choice to use or take off since its really not needed.

Your dealer is a idiot, that battery insulation is to protect the battery from the extreme under hood temps, heat is what kills battery's, evaporates the electrolyte and turns them into junk.
Tim & Donna :W
04 Prowler 830Y lots of mods 5200 lbs Axles 16 inch LT E tires
00 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD Pullrite Prodigy Autometer Gauges Magnaflow Exhaust DP Tuner Chip Terminator Big Oil :C

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
Yes it is an insulator and my dealer said its mainly for cold weather and he advised to take off here in Az. I have had them on several vehicles and took all off and suffered no ill effects afterwards.

Just the opposite ! They protect from HEAT !!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hank85713 wrote:

It's also for heat, which is worse than cold in general for batteries, but not an issue either way. I'm sure theoretically there's a small benefit.
Like most things, real world, not enough to make a difference and too many other contributing factors to battery life anyway.

Last set of quality batteries lived in my 07 diesel for 10+ years, no blankets and 2 winters in Alaska.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
It is insulation. It prevents the heat from the engine from getting to the battery and extends the life of the battery.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably a battery blanket. It's insulation.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.