cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton

Nighduckman
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I recently bought a Jayco Eagle HT 24.5 CKTS fifth wheel. After being somewhat taken in by the marketing and our Ford dealer, we bought a beefed-up F150 that, in the end, was overweight on GVR and the rear axle rating. For safety and out of an abundance of caution, after much research, we traded it in for an F250, gas engine, 2WD. We got the 4x2 instead of the 4x4 because it is a much better fit, height-wise, with our fiver and because we are not going to boondock and only camp in prepared campgrounds with decent roads. I understand we will likely get stuck once in a while, but, will have a tow strap and I understand we can usually count on a nice 4x4 owner to tow us out and/or we have GoodSam towing assistance. Again, we are not going to off road or seriously boondock. We won't be driving the rig in snow etc.

Having said all that, I am curious about the real-world experience of any others who have towed with 2WD. We are comfortable with our decision and know there will be tradeoffs over 4x4 like much lower resale and, potentially, getting stuck occasionally. But, all in all, mainly interested in what other 2WD towers have experienced. Thanks in advance.
34 REPLIES 34

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
This whole argument will be moot sooner or later, within the next 5-7 years if you ask me.

2WD trucks will go the way of the manual transmission. 4x4 is so overwhelmingly popular, and 2WD sales are dwindling year after year. Eventually the manufacturers will drop the 2WD option, and with it all the specialized components required to make them, thereby cutting production costs.

Maybe, and I would not be surprised. But have you looked at service trucks? Most of the pickup trucks used by electric companies, gas, etc? Almost always they are 2wd, even in New England. Maybe more north they are 4wd, but all around me the vast majority of commercial pickup trucks are 2wd.

There's a place near me that auctions used commercial trucks, and regular cab 2WDs are the majority.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
This whole argument will be moot sooner or later, within the next 5-7 years if you ask me.

2WD trucks will go the way of the manual transmission. 4x4 is so overwhelmingly popular, and 2WD sales are dwindling year after year. Eventually the manufacturers will drop the 2WD option, and with it all the specialized components required to make them, thereby cutting production costs.

Maybe, and I would not be surprised. But have you looked at service trucks? Most of the pickup trucks used by electric companies, gas, etc? Almost always they are 2wd, even in New England. Maybe more north they are 4wd, but all around me the vast majority of commercial pickup trucks are 2wd.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
drsteve wrote:
The best thing you can do to a 2WD truck is install a live front axle.

Agree completely.
But if you can’t, good AT tires sure help.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing you can do to a 2WD truck is install all terrain tires.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Nighduckman wrote:
.....I understand we will likely get stuck once in a while, but, will have a tow strap and I understand we can usually count on a nice 4x4 owner to tow us out and/or we have GoodSam towing assistance. Again, we are not going to off road or seriously boondock. We won't be driving the rig in snow etc.

The 2WD will tow your camper perfectly fine and if you stay on 'improved' roads you will most likely not need 4WD at all.

I towed with a Chevy 2500HD 2WD for 10 years. That truck did everything I ever needed it to do, except for a few occasions. It came factory with an open differential and I eventually installed an Eaton LSD. The limited slip did make a difference but after having been stuck on wet grass, wet boat ramps, and snow I'd had enough. The last gotcha was towing my camper to a NASCAR race and the campground had gravel roads and grass sites. While parking the camper I spun the rear tires and was stuck dead to rites. Of course the front wheels were on solid gravel and could have pulled me up....IF I WOULD HAVE HAD 4X4 :M That was my final straw and within 2 weeks I had a my Ram 4WD in the driveway.

Your situation sounds a little different and you will most likely not need 4WD. In my case I had just enough situations of getting stuck that I was no longer willing to deal with it.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Nighduckman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Great perspective.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2WD truck may actually be superior to 4WD for many reasons considering your driving style. Can't say regarding your truck, but many 2WD trucks have independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering which deliver better tracking. You can probably slide into your seats instead of stepping and contorting. You can probably reach your hitch to latch/unlatch without a step stool. With the trailer disconnected, you'll find it easier to load and unload your bed with the lower lift height. All of these conveniences will make you appreciate your truck 100 percent of the time; a nice trade-off for the one tenth of one percent of the time you need 4WD. For that time, install chains.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
drsteve wrote:
Been towing 30+ years with 2WD, have yet to get stuck.

You're not going to the right places!

There's and old saying..."There's 2 types of boaters. Those who have left the drain plug out and those that will...."
Same applies here. But I agree. We all drive around in 2wd the vast majority of the time. Some need 4wd, some want 4wd and some dont.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing 30+ years with 2WD, have yet to get stuck.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2wd Duramax. I pull a lightweight 5th wheel toy hauler. I also pulled it with a Chevy 1500HD. The diesel is much quieter and gets much better mileage. I've gotten stuck in the Duramax twice, never in the gas truck. Yes, even wet grass. Doesn't take much of a tow with a 4wd buddy. For example I was stuck at an Indy Speedway campsite on wet grass. The Tow truck couldn't budge me. Some guy in a 20 years old F150 4WD got me right out, no problem.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Oh gawd no!
Have you read the 4x2 thread below this? Rear locker is certain death! (Mostly for the people who would get stuck on a wet fart and those that think the traction control button is a locker switch, lol)

linedriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed with a 3/4 ton GMC 2wd in the past with no problems. The secret I found is to have a locked rear end and to run a good set of snow tires on the rear year round. They will usually keep you from getting stuck on wet grass and mud.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Only did the RV thing for about 12 years:

- Had small (19' to large 33') travel trailers and large 39' - 16000 lbs 5th Wheel
- Used everything from a 2wd Yukon to a 2500 Suburban to a 2500 Silverado to an F350 on the travel trailers; F350 on the 5th wheel.

- Went mostly on the Gulf Coast with frequent trips to CO (1-2 times per year) and the Carolinas (2-3 times per year)

- Had both 2wd and 4wd (in different vehicles) towing the travel trailers. Had both a 2wd and 4wd F350 thanks to an acquisitive car thief.

- Much prefer going bigger for towing. Within reasonable limits, of course the 2500 will do it; more comfortable to use a 3500 vehicle.

- Got stuck 3 times with 2wd: all on wet grass involving uphill and a heavy (for the vehicle) trailer. Never got stuck (even though driving twice through the same spot years later) with 4wd.

- I live in Alaska...so will never own anything less than an AWD vehicle again but for the OP's use, I'd suggest (if it's an option) using the $$ on going 3500 vs. 2500 and not doing 4wd.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN