cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ever trade in a TC at an auto dealership...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have decided to let the Arrow go, wish that I made this decision earlier in the spring as I feel that is a better time of year to sell. While I have had it advertised for about a month I am getting very few inquiries. If I have to store it for another winter I will, but would rather move it as soon as possible.

I have been considering a new vehicle and have been wondering if trading in the TC towards a car is possible. Has anyone here done it? I know that I would get much less than what I am currently seeking, but it would move it sooner. I would need to weigh the options but am more curious if anyone has ever done it... I have never really seen a TC on a dealer's lot.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
15 REPLIES 15

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, but 30 years ago, I used a freezer as part of my trade/down payment.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
The Bozeman (MT) Ford and RV dealer sells both Ford vehicles and RV's. I would think they would take an RV as a trade on a Ford purchase.
a_flyfisher

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found my truck camper on a auto dealers lot. The took a truck and the camper in on trade. Only bad part for me was they sold the truck before I came so I had to get a truck for the camper. I think it depends on the dealer and the deal as to if they will do it or not.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I bought big boat from Jeep Dealer.
They took it as trade-in hoping to make good money, but ended in the red.
Anyways, I traded-in 10 years old Ford Truck for new Ford Truck and the dealer had no intention to resell the old truck, just send it to public auction.
So what difference (beside carrying it) the camper might do?
Coming to tire-kickers , find me used item for sale that will not have them coming?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You're in CO and it's huntin season. Whatever you can get private party should be decent. If you expect more than that it's likely overpriced and what a dealer will offer you will be less tanning you can sell it for private party. Jmo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
The last two campers we sold were through a used rv lot. They offered consignment but we opted to sell outright for cash. In both cases I think we got about 60% of what we could have sold them for ourselves with us doing the advertising, showing and helping people get them on a truck. In the past I have tried selling truck campers but inevitably it ended up in an exercise in futility as people showed up with wrongly matched trucks, no tie down hardware or just plain wasting everyones time by just wanting to see it and ask a million questions.

In the end for us the potential loss in sales price had to be balanced by not having to make ourselves available to meet random craigslist strangers.

You said a mouth full there (Craigslist window shoppers). Most are tire kickers or low ballers and the ones that aren't are rare.

I've become numb to them actually. I see hay on CL and it's appointment only and if they are 5 minutes late, the barn is locked up and there is no one home. I have no patience with idiots and inconsiderate people.

I learned my lesson. Next time I buy a new one (if I do), the old one will get traded in.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
The last two campers we sold were through a used rv lot. They offered consignment but we opted to sell outright for cash. In both cases I think we got about 60% of what we could have sold them for ourselves with us doing the advertising, showing and helping people get them on a truck. In the past I have tried selling truck campers but inevitably it ended up in an exercise in futility as people showed up with wrongly matched trucks, no tie down hardware or just plain wasting everyones time by just wanting to see it and ask a million questions.

In the end for us the potential loss in sales price had to be balanced by not having to make ourselves available to meet random craigslist strangers.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar originally got started by building several units, and Mr Willett loaded them on truck and trailer and headed out--to car lots and anyplace he thought could sell them. So you are kind of just completing the original circle. Good luck.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Being 'out west' you have a better shot than say me back here in Michigan. Around here, people don't even know what a Truck camper is for the most part. I always get lots of nebbishers when we stop to get something to eat or fuel, it's like 'what is that thing' on that pickup truck...

I've never seen a used unit on an auto dealers lot around here in 35 years. Most used units are sold on Craigs List if there are any.

I still think your best shot is private sale in the spring, not now.

You could visit some dealers and inquire about worth but I think you will be unpleasantly surprised.

Problem is, while we love out TC's for their ease of use, they are still a very niche market item. with a limited audience.

Keep in mind that any TC, or TC/truck combination sitting on any dealers lot is subject to floorplan tax (at least here in Michigan, so it behooves any dealer to move inventory quickly and because TC's are niche RV's that is unlikely to happen.

Just my thoughts.

I had a heck of a time selling my Lance when I bought my new pop up TC. I practically gave it away just to get it out of the backyard. I should have traded it in but I thought (wrongly) that I could sell it private. That wasn't the case. Had it on RV Trader, on CL and local papers and got a couple bites but nothing of substance and those that did inquire wanted to low ball me.

Turned out a friend of a friend had purchased a new Ford F350 diesel pickup and was considering buying a TC and one thing led to another and he bought it. At that point I was so frustrated with it, I basically gave it to him just to be rid of it. I don't need 2 units. Everything worked, needed a board for the fridge and a bath and that was it.

He got a bargain and I got rid of it. I din't want to say what I sold it for because it's embarasing but it is what it is.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The place from where I bought the TC is just north of Salt Lake City and they deal primarily in larger 5'ers and motorhomes... I got it for a decent price becuase it sat longer on their lot then they would have liked. In general what they inferred is that TC's are not a big seller in that region. I won;t be going back to them for these reasons ... and it is a little too far for me. I do have the Colorado Mountain region in my favor in that this type of RV is popular.

I only ask because I was discussing it at work among my co-workers when one brought up the idea. I kinda' dismissed it as a lark know I would most likely take the proverbial "bath", but in answering him I had to be honest that I really do not know if dealers would even consider a TC unlike other types of RV;s that I have seen on dealer lots.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
My totally personal opinion is, you will take a bath on the camper.

I think that's putting it mildly..

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a 5th wheel and a TT at a local new car dealer's lot, but a TC is probably going to be a stretch.

I'll bet that a car dealer is going to offer you a really low amount. Maybe they will surprise us and be reasonable, but I have my very strong doubts.

You might even make out better asking the dealer that sold it to you about putting it on their lot on consignment.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I...I...I wouldn't trade a camper at an auto dealer's lot. Sell the camper separately.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen them at used lots. Not sure if a new car dealer would want it or what their mechanism would be to wholesale out of their dealership. Doesn't hurt to ask. As with any trade-in it's always best to work the best deal on the new car first and then make a good value on the trade-in a final negotiation to seal the deal.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.