cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escape Hatch Condensation

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2002 Lance 811 has the crank-up hatch over the bed that also has the quick-release as an escape hatch. With cool weather outside, the aluminum frame produces condensation like crazy, to the point where it drips on the bed.

The factory did provide an insulated vinyl cover that snaps to the ceiling around the hatch. The problem is it doesn't form an air tight seal to the ceiling, so condensation still forms and just puddles on the top of the vinyl cover.

Obviously what's needed is a way to stop the inside air from contacting the aluminum frame of the hatch. I thought about spraying some of that Flex Seal liquid rubber on the exposed aluminum but not sure if that would insulate it enough.

What have you guys figured out for this?
15 REPLIES 15

Bedlam
We have small dehumidifier that runs on 9vdc. It sits in the dry bath and runs anytime we have shore power. I didn't look into 12vdc model and just looked for something compact that could run for a couple days without emptying.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they made a small build in unit dehumidifier. One that self drains so you don't have to empty the tray all the time. Now this idea has gone on for a long time really, but no one builds one for RV's unless I missed it.

Just did a search for '12 volt dehumidifiers' and a few came up.... not too expensive, they also help clean the air of mold and bacteria laden moisture. Seems like a good product to look into.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
One of my first experiences with truck camper camping was unpleasant: it was a cold rainy night in the Pac NW; and I was getting "rained on" by our ceiling vent. I wrongly assumed it was leaking, but it was simply condensation. After getting some advice on this forum, I learned that no matter what the weather, that vent needs to be cracked to allow moisture created by us simply breathing, to escape. My current truck camper just got a new Fantastic Fan installed, to deal with any possible condensation problems.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 on venting. The condensation on the aluminum is a symptom, not the problem.

I have added memory foam and a down pad on top of the mattress pad. Under them I have an electric blanket (we are not sleeping directly on the blanket). So when we are hooked up, the bed stays nice and toasty warm. This allows me to have the vent over the bed open. The air cools off, but it does keep the camper from filling with stale moist air.
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Heki has a screen that stop moist air from causing the frame to sweat. Unless it is not sealing well, I would think your vinyl cover would act the same way. Another option would be to tape a piece of plastic sheeting to the vent to seal moist air from the frame.

Regardless venting moisture out of the RV is a big issue in cold weather. You need some ventilation. Also you need to vent out moisture from cooking and showers.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Quit breathing.

Did my wife tell you to post this?

LOL too funny :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I used the foam padding that comes in a roll for under your sleeping bag when your sleeping on the ground. Easy to cut and flexible, you can cut it a bit large and stuff it tight. This has helped a lot. I lined the underside of the hatch cover as well using contact cement. Remember to cut a bit larger for snug fit.

If you don't do a good job remember the hungry Grit Dog will bite you right where it counts.

Bedlam
billtex wrote:
Open the hatch a crack.

X3

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Open the hatch a crack.

I agree with this. Just 1/4" worked for me. No condensation.
Zulu

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
Quit breathing.

Did my wife tell you to post this?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dog's recommendation is a last resort problem solver IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Quit breathing.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open the hatch a crack.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
cut a square of Styrofoam to fit tight into opening.
Better yet, you can buy polyurethane boards at HD with foil on both sides. Put some masking tapes on the edges to prevent scratching the foam.