cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equal-i-zer head identification

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up what I thought was a 90001201 used from Amazon. Was right from their warehouse, but I guess it was a return item. So it showed up with no bars (good start) and the box and manual is for a 4,000 lb unit. Is there a way from the head to tell what the unit is? Trying to decide to return it and try again or keep it and buy bars. It was ~$375 Cdn so even paying for bars I could be ahead, but not if it is the wrong unit.

Any help is appreciated. I have emailed Equalizer as well.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS
7 REPLIES 7

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
AH64ID wrote:
Since progress mfg labels the bars you will need to call them to identify the head.

Huntindog wrote:
I have had a 12K and now a 14K. They use the same sized bars (probably a different strength though) But they will NOT interchange. The half moon cutout on the 14K bars is offset, and the 12K bars is centered.
I beieve the smaller versions use a smaller bar.

Per my call to Progress mfg last fall, and having my dads 14K bars and my 12K bars in hand at the time, there is zero difference in the bars(besides the sticker). The instructions do say there is a difference in the cutout, but there isn't.... At least not on their kits made in the last 8-10 years.

The heads were visibly different, but bar interchange was possible. The bars are identical, and the only difference is what sticker they get.

The difference between a 14K and 12K setup is the head on the 14K unit is a little stronger.
Mine ARE different. My 12K bars could be installed upside down based on the sticker.(because the cutout was centered) My 14Ks cannot... The cutout is offset, so they will only insert into the head one way, and that also prevents 12K bars from being used in the 14K head.

I bought the 14K new when I got my present TT new, back in 2009.

Interesting, my dads 14K bars can go in on either side, upside down, or on my 12K.

Based on the info I got from Progress Mfg it sounds like your kit may have been on the shelf for quite a while.

Do your L brackets attach with 1 pin bolt, or on two studs?
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
AH64ID wrote:
Since progress mfg labels the bars you will need to call them to identify the head.

Huntindog wrote:
I have had a 12K and now a 14K. They use the same sized bars (probably a different strength though) But they will NOT interchange. The half moon cutout on the 14K bars is offset, and the 12K bars is centered.

Per my call to Progress mfg last fall, and having my dads 14K bars and my 12K bars in hand at the time, there is zero difference in the bars(besides the sticker). The instructions do say there is a difference in the cutout, but there isn't.... At least not on their kits made in the last 8-10 years.

The heads were visibly different, but bar interchange was possible. The bars are identical, and the only difference is what sticker they get.

The difference between a 14K and 12K setup is the head on the 14K unit is a little stronger.
Mine ARE different. My 12K bars could be installed upside down based on the sticker.(because the cutout was centered) My 14Ks cannot... The cutout is offset, so they will only insert into the head one way, and that also prevents 12K bars from being used in the 14K head.

I bought the 14K new when I got my present TT new, back in 2009.

also, I had both hitches and TTs for awhile, as I sold my old ones after purchasing the new ones.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog wrote:

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Well I learned something today, I didn't realize they had a hitch that large. But at any rate as you say based on the website you have a 400/4,000 lb hitch.

For grins I just measured the sockets on my 1,000/10,000 hitch and they are 1 3/8 inches (35 mm) across. If your sockets are the same size you'll have to wait for Progress mfg. But I would say if they are smaller then you definitely have the wrong hitch.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
According to http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=e79fda3f9767200384d00bc1296ff284 they have 4k, 6k, 10k, 12k and 14k.

Side of the box shows part # 90-00-0401. Pretty sure it is going back but will wait for Progress to reply to my email to be sure.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've never heard of a 4,000lb Equal-i-zer hitch. A call to Progress mfg will probably answer your questions though. I imagine they will ask you to measure the size of the square sockets as I believe they use different size bars and therefore different size sockets for the different ratings.

Phone: 801-377-9599
Toll Free: 800-478-5578

Mail: Progress Mfg. Inc.
533 S. 500 W.
Provo, UT 84601
USA

Email: info@progressmfg.com
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup