cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enough with the recalls

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Well for 5 weeks in a row now I have gone out to the mailbox and each week had a recall notice on my truck. Security recall, drivers airbag, passenger airbag, steering wheel harness and now steering box plate welds. I was about to make an appointment to take it in but I think I should wait another couple of weeks and see what else comes in. This truck has been perfect since day one plus it drives and tows like a dream so I hope it stays that way and yes its a Ram. But don't puff your chest out if you have something else because I work with a guy that has a new Ford F-350 and he is going through the same thing. I guess none of them can get it right the first time anymore.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
62 REPLIES 62

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I think that's true on the earlier models and the lower trim levels but my truck is a Laramie and has Alcoa aluminum alloy wheels on the outer rear tires and fronts, and has steel wheels on the rear inners. So that may be an issue with the simulators but not with these trucks. It is a real annoying problem, though.

:h just thinking (and I know how dangerous that can get for me :B )

but, is it possible to have a wheel out of round or something along that line of thinking causing the problem????????

I have wondered about that too; thank you for your thoughts :B

I think at this point I need to take it to a good tire shop myself and have all the tires road force balanced. If they can successfully do this then the problem should be eliminated. If they can't then hopefully they can advise me whether one tire/wheel is the problem or they all are; then I can go back to the dealer loaded with better information.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
I think that's true on the earlier models and the lower trim levels but my truck is a Laramie and has Alcoa aluminum alloy wheels on the outer rear tires and fronts, and has steel wheels on the rear inners. So that may be an issue with the simulators but not with these trucks. It is a real annoying problem, though.

:h just thinking (and I know how dangerous that can get for me :B )

but, is it possible to have a wheel out of round or something along that line of thinking causing the problem????????
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put a set of 3rd gen take offs I installed on my 98. They were aluminum with a stainless clad cover. They were awesome!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
mich800 wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:
A salesman told me they figure in recalls when calculating what the MSRP will be.

Than it must be true. All the automobile sales people have a direct line to the finance side of corporate on how they calculate product costs. But I know you were just kidding just did not see the ๐Ÿ™‚

What do you mean? Logically they would HAVE to figure in the cost of recalls, or else they would go broke! The manufacturers have to get the money from *SOMEWHERE*. They're in the business of selling cars, so where do you think that somewhere is?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
Hey Man, Wishing you the best.

Thank you very much.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

Same here with wheel set up, outside 4 are Alcoa aluminum,inside rears are steel.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I have all of the recalls too and the track bar one just came this week. I have looked at the welds and they look just fine so I am not at all worried about it. I'm thinking it may have affected a small amount of trucks because I have yet to read about anyone with poor welds.

I too am OK with the fact that they are making good on potential issues. I absolutely love the truck so I can live with it. I am still not happy about the vibrating POS General tires though....:M

Just bite the bullet and throw on a set of MS2's!

So far no recalls on my 15. Maybe 3rd year is a charm.

It's really weird how some of these trucks act with same tires..I too have OEM Generals on my truck and have never had a vibration or wobble issue..I've heard complaints about these tires, but also other popular brands...Guess I've been fortunate.

EXACTLY! My Dad's 12 LongHorn Dually 2wd has the Generals and at 25K his are wearing good. No rime or reason to it.

X 3 for mine, also Generals on it. Wearing extremely well.

Mine are wearing really well too. The issue is that they vibrate like h*ll over about 65 mph. I usually tow around 62 mph so the issue isn`t as noticeable but drive the truck itself over that speed and there it is. I have been pricing out a new set of MS2`s and will probably bite the bullet and do it sometime this winter but I`m not happy about having to shell out the $ this soon after buying such an expensive vehicle. We have been looking at newer Acura MDX`s for my wife and low and behold, they come with Michelins from the factory as did her 2005.

I read that the Laramie chrome wheels are actually covers, and one owner seems to think that dirt gets in between the cover and the steel wheel and causes them to go out of balance. Could this be true?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Man, Wishing you the best.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ben
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Good gosh Jim...and glad to see you back here!!!

Best wishes and know your determination...which showing here

Take care my buddy
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Jim been thinking about you lately! Good to hear you are getting better!!!

We too will cross path in the future, lot's of good "FISH" stories to talk about. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes there are:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim been thinking about you lately! Good to hear you are getting better!!!

We too will cross path in the future, lot's of good "FISH" stories to talk about. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
blofgren stated;
"Mine are wearing really well too. The issue is that they vibrate like h*ll over about 65 mph. I usually tow around 62 mph so the issue isn`t as noticeable but drive the truck itself over that speed and there it is. I have been pricing out a new set of MS2`s and will probably bite the bullet and do it sometime this winter but I`m not happy about having to shell out the $ this soon after buying such an expensive vehicle. We have been looking at newer Acura MDX`s for my wife and low and behold, they come with Michelins from the factory as did her 2005"

That's what I don't understand,. When empty, I run speed limit, up to 72-75 mph...no vibration, no wobble, AND, though i don't recommend this, and shouldn't have done it, but once, just to see if I would have a vibration issue, I ran the truck up to a 100 mph on the interstate , and NO vibration..I've towed at 70 mph, (16.4K), and zero vibration...Went to that speed, up to 72 mph and maintained just to see if I would have an issue, anI had none...front tires at 80 psi, per placard, rear dually tires at 65 psi each, also per placard.....loaded, and unloaded..I don't rotate the tires....Never have on any dually I've owned...and never any kind of vibration at all:?

..just doesn't make sense...you'd think they'd all act the same to some extent..

Going from PalmSprings to Phoenix on I-10 in the middle of nowhere I slowly ramped up my last RAM 11 DRW with the Generals to 103mph and it was so smooth that the wife did not know how fast we were going. 103 was when the governor kicked in.