cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Endurance failure

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Uh oh. This is how it always seems to start.
Grand Design Forum wrote:
. Always check your tires! I found a sidewall bubble on one of the brand new Goodyears. Got it swapped the day before we left.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
31 REPLIES 31

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
How do we know it was an Endurance? Just because it's Goodyear doesn't mean it's an Endurance.
Well, Goodyear doesn't make the Marathons anymore.

Besides, someone asked him a little further into the thread. He confirmed that it was an Endurance.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
How do we know it was an Endurance? Just because it's Goodyear doesn't mean it's an Endurance.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta say, I read tire posts with interest, I been towing 40 years, carry an infrared gun, I have never had a tire failure on the road or off road in all that time. I pay attention to my units, watch where I go, where the trailer tracks, all on st tires. I also think the majority of rv'ers have similar experiences. I'm also passed on the 4 lanes by younger guys pulling way too fast with way too much weight behind them, incurring tire failures often. As usual, they blame the tires, rather than their own driving habits.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
CapriRacer wrote:
When I was working at a major tire manufacturer, we used to classify tire returns into 3 categories:

1) Initial quality: Anything that exhibited itself almost immediately. This included vibrations, bulges and indentations, and appearance issues. These are all manufacturing related.

This "failure" sounds like one of those - a manufacturing problem.

2) Road hazards - self explanatory

3) Endurance - these occur many miles down the road and are what most everyone means when they are talking about ST failures, China bombs, etc. Endurance failures are design related, not defects!

This "failure" is NOT an endurance failure.

Did a certain tire manufacturer name a tire after an industry class of tire failure? Oops

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was working at a major tire manufacturer, we used to classify tire returns into 3 categories:

1) Initial quality: Anything that exhibited itself almost immediately. This included vibrations, bulges and indentations, and appearance issues. These are all manufacturing related.

This "failure" sounds like one of those - a manufacturing problem.

2) Road hazards - self explanatory

3) Endurance - these occur many miles down the road and are what most everyone means when they are talking about ST failures, China bombs, etc. Endurance failures are design related, not defects!

This "failure" is NOT an endurance failure.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The biggest trouble I have with my Bridgestone R250โ€™s with the Big Fat curbing protection on them is they are rated Max 99mph. Both my singly and my dually have a time getting them going that fast.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Sorta like shark attacks.
OMG, the sharks are coming, the sharks are coming!
58 attacks this year...across the world. Jillions of swimmers.
One bubble out of how many tires?
Oh, the humanity!

LOL, nailed it. 400,000 RV's sold yearly with however many being towables and one guy gets a blow out and it's the end of the world for that tire.
Funny thread, like you said how many thousands of Endurance tires have they sold.

Funny indeed, especially when you do the math.

RVs sold 2018, 500,000 and change.

Around 80+% were towable by the RVIAs own numbers. I'd guess 80% of those were tandem axle. That's 1,800,000 tires put out on the roads in 2018 on towable RVs and that does not include utility trailers.

The kicker is the vast majority of those would be some China Bomb brand el cheapo ST. Goodyear Endurance would be a small percentage.

According to RV forums all ST tires must be junk, unless they're the brand one has on their rig in most cases. Why should Goodyear's Endurance get special treatment. Tires grenade just sitting static and hanging from the carrier mount according to these boards? Funny.
Actually if you read my post's that is exactly what happened to a brand new Carlisle mounted on the back of a 5th wheel, it blew out. Still the law of averages is in your favor.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Well so far this movie is pretty much an exact rerun of the others.:E

The suspense is killing me.:R

Actually I am hoping for a different ending.:B

Iโ€™ll get the Sno-Caps, you get the popcorn. Better get the extra large, this could be a double feature.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Oh, the humanity!

LOL, nailed it. 400,000 RV's sold yearly with however many being towables and one guy gets a blow out and it's the end of the world for that tire.
Funny thread, like you said how many thousands of Endurance tires have they sold.

Funny indeed, especially when you do the math.

RVs sold 2018, 500,000 and change.

Around 80+% were towable by the RVIAs own numbers. I'd guess 80% of those were tandem axle. That's 1,800,000 tires put out on the roads in 2018 on towable RVs and that does not include utility trailers.

The kicker is the vast majority of those would be some China Bomb brand el cheapo ST. Goodyear Endurance would be a small percentage.

According to RV forums all ST tires must be junk, unless they're the brand one has on their rig in most cases. Why should Goodyear's Endurance get special treatment. Tires grenade just sitting static and hanging from the carrier mount according to these boards? Funny.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Brand new tires just installed before your first trip......I'd be asking the knuckle heads at the tire out let how they let a tire with a bubble in it get mounted in the first place.

Seems like it's part of the job to give each new tire a careful inspection as they they get mounted.
It is quite possible that the bubble wasn't there when it was mounted.
There have been a LOT of reports over the years, with pics of ST spare tires, that had never been on the ground exploding on their mount.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new tires just installed before your first trip......I'd be asking the knuckle heads at the tire out let how they let a tire with a bubble in it get mounted in the first place.

Seems like it's part of the job to give each new tire a careful inspection as they they get mounted.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Well so far this movie is pretty much an exact rerun of the others.:E

The suspense is killing me.:R

Actually I am hoping for a different ending.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Oh, the humanity!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
TPMS, alarm set for 5 psi below set temp. I don't worry about my tires.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired