cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electronics module

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
What is the first year that ECM's were installed?

Looking for pre-electronic ignition, etc vehicles
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch
24 REPLIES 24

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
Won't worry about that. I'm just trying to find a cheap, easy to keep truck down here in SoAmer.

I would just drive whatever the locals drive.

I agree, buy a truck down there and that way you will not have to worry about not being able to find parts for a truck imported from North America.

Thanks Don.
There are several diesel LandRovers here in scrap yards. Same with old Beetles. Most need clutches. Not importing them back to Canada.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
My 1965 Oldsmobile 442 had points, my brothers 1967 had electronic ignition. So to answer your question, look for vehicles at least 50 years old.

Not stock he didn't! I had a 1970 and from 1962-1970 they all ran the same distributor and they all ran points and condenser not HEI or any other from of pointless distributor.
think I'm wrong? Look up a tune up kit for a 1967 Old's 442 455 V8, it uses points and condenser.

GM ran points and condenser all the way up tell 1984? They did start putting the HEI coil on top of cap sometime around 1973? That would knock you on your butt if you got hit by it lol. But that system still used points and condenser and had the little metal window to adjust the dwell angle of the points. It was 30* if I remember correctly.

Don

Yep, he bought it new just as I did. The electronic ignition was an option and it was standard with the W30 package. The factory electronic distributor cap was red in color. The 455 engine came out in 1968, but I believe that it was available with the Hurst Olds.

Anyway, you are incorrect, so please update your response.

Well this kind says I'm not, note the window for adjusting the points. Also according to Hemmings the 1967 442 came with a L78 400 CDI (yep not the 454 the only thing I was incorrect on). There is no mention of any factory electronic distributor only points. The factory ordered W-30 came with red inner fender linners.
"In 1967, the L69 was no longer available, although the W-30 package remained as a viable option, this time applied to the base L78 engine. The NHRA mandated that factory production was to be much higher, at 502 copies (129 Cutlass Supreme Sports coupes and 373 Cutlass Supreme hardtops), each with essentially the same build traits as the '66 editions; chrome rocker arm covers were a W-30 upgrade from the previous incarnation. There were two other notable differences, the first being the re-routing of the induction system--now running above and below the front parking lamps (which were now located between the headlamps) via a Y-pipe--and the first use of red inner fender liners. Again, convertibles were unavailable with the W-30 due to a lack of space for the trunk-mounted battery, though the Turbo Hydra-Matic automatic could accompany the package. The W-30 was also available as a dealer-installed upgrade referred to as the Track Pac, which didn't sport the red inner fenders; it's estimated that perhaps as many as 100 were issued. Officially, the W-30 produced 360hp and 440-lbs.ft. of torque."

Since I actually bought a 1965 442 and a 1968 442 W30 with red fender liners, and my brother bought a 1967 442, I do have an idea what they were made of. I can only report the facts and you can accept them or not.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
Won't worry about that. I'm just trying to find a cheap, easy to keep truck down here in SoAmer.

I agree, buy a truck down there and that way you will not have to worry about not being able to find parts for a truck imported from North America.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Don,

Thanks for the post. My buddy had a 1970 442 and it was quick. Appreciated the photo with the window on the side of the distributor cap. Had pretty much forgotten about those. On a side note I was cleaning out the garage and pitched my dwell meter a year back. Within 6 months my son bought a 25 year old Honda Acty that has points. Who would of thought...

Anyway, thanks for the post. Good memories.

Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
My 1965 Oldsmobile 442 had points, my brothers 1967 had electronic ignition. So to answer your question, look for vehicles at least 50 years old.

Not stock he didn't! I had a 1970 and from 1962-1970 they all ran the same distributor and they all ran points and condenser not HEI or any other from of pointless distributor.
think I'm wrong? Look up a tune up kit for a 1967 Old's 442 455 V8, it uses points and condenser.

GM ran points and condenser all the way up tell 1984? They did start putting the HEI coil on top of cap sometime around 1973? That would knock you on your butt if you got hit by it lol. But that system still used points and condenser and had the little metal window to adjust the dwell angle of the points. It was 30* if I remember correctly.

Don

Yep, he bought it new just as I did. The electronic ignition was an option and it was standard with the W30 package. The factory electronic distributor cap was red in color. The 455 engine came out in 1968, but I believe that it was available with the Hurst Olds.

Well this kind says I'm not, note the window for adjusting the points. Also according to Hemmings the 1967 442 came with a L78 400 CDI (yep not the 454 the only thing I was incorrect on). There is no mention of any factory electronic distributor only points. The factory ordered W-30 came with red inner fender linners.
"In 1967, the L69 was no longer available, although the W-30 package remained as a viable option, this time applied to the base L78 engine. The NHRA mandated that factory production was to be much higher, at 502 copies (129 Cutlass Supreme Sports coupes and 373 Cutlass Supreme hardtops), each with essentially the same build traits as the '66 editions; chrome rocker arm covers were a W-30 upgrade from the previous incarnation. There were two other notable differences, the first being the re-routing of the induction system--now running above and below the front parking lamps (which were now located between the headlamps) via a Y-pipe--and the first use of red inner fender liners. Again, convertibles were unavailable with the W-30 due to a lack of space for the trunk-mounted battery, though the Turbo Hydra-Matic automatic could accompany the package. The W-30 was also available as a dealer-installed upgrade referred to as the Track Pac, which didn't sport the red inner fenders; it's estimated that perhaps as many as 100 were issued. Officially, the W-30 produced 360hp and 440-lbs.ft. of torque."

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
How about a Toyota Land Cruiser?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Toyota/Land+Cruiser?startYear=1981&endYear=1986&makeCodeLis...
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Bedlam
Although I like how I can work on almost anything on my old air-cooled VW, there is more routine service than my newer cars. If I didn't enjoy working on it, I would have sold it for a car that was less 20 years old rather over 60.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Looking for a truck that will survive an EMP?

If cheap and easy to maintain is the goal I don't think a vehicle 30-40+ years old is the first place I would look.

My father kept very meticulous maintenance records on all of his cars. I came across one of his log books the other day and was astonished at how much maintenance his 1969 Chrysler took and that was his favorite car. I know that I spend much less time working on cars now than I did 40 years ago. A big issue though might be whether suitable fuel for new cars exists in South America.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ghostrider421 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Looking for a truck that will survive an EMP?

If cheap and easy to maintain is the goal I don't think a vehicle 30-40+ years old is the first place I would look.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I remember right it was 1980 when GM started using an ECM to control the engine. There might have been a few models earlier than that and almost everybody used some sort of control in the next couple of years.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problems with electronic ignition systems (I installed several in older vehicles), but I sure wish I could afford to buy a pre-computer vehicle.
I have a vehicle that has computer problems, and it has been, so far, impossible to fix.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ghostrider421 wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ghostrider421 wrote:
What is the first year that ECM's were installed?

Looking for pre-electronic ignition, etc vehicles

That is two different times !

Ford install the first true ECM on the 1978 Lincoln Versaille (I actually worked on that project). Electronic ignition (no points) was several years before that.

If you really want point, it had better be pre-1970 !

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Don