cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric brakes

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
4 year old TT with est. 14000 miles. One cross country trip across the Rockies, and a number of trips locally in the NC mountains and down to the coast. Always use tow/haul mode and engine braking when needed. Never had the hubs/drums off, and use Dexter zerk to keep bearings greased. All seems well...so what is the general experience on brake life? I prefer the actual experience of those on this forum that is more relevant than “rule of thumb” opinion.
9 REPLIES 9

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I would pull the drums, clean and repack the bearings and inspect. I had TWO different shoes with the magnet wires broken drum on different occasions. The bent tang had broken allowing the magnets to lay in the drum thus no braking. When I went to adjust a wheel I could see something through the adjustment hole which was the broken tab. A also carry a AC/DC amp meter to check the amps after pulling the break away cable as a test.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I find out that the magnets are done about every 10 years so I "inspect" them and see what they look like at 7 years.

Not sure why, but the magnets are the item that seems to die most often.

Not that I would want to replace one on a trip, but those are small enough that carrying a pair or magnets is not a bad idea !

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Based on the experiences shared, I do need to go through and adjust the brakes. I understand the concerns over using the zerk fittings and the possibility of blowing the seals. I have done this twice while spinning the wheel as I pump in the new grease...no problems. I know there are many differing opinions on this practice, but i’m comfortable with the manufactures suggested process.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
In Pennsylvania a safety inspection is required each year. That inspection requires that one drum be pulled from each axle to check the condition of the brakes. Many totally ignore maintenance procedures for drum brakes that have been around for about a century.

I have found a brake magnet that wasn't connected from the factory, magnets that caused deep grooves in a few thousand miles and bearings that were poorly manufactured and were failing in one season. If you don't know what is in there, maybe you should check.

Yesterday a utility trailer crossed right in front of me and ditched it on the roadside with the wheel smoking. Maybe he didn't know what was in there.

Good Luck, if you depend on luck.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:
.................Never had the hubs/drums off, and use Dexter zerk to keep bearings greased. ...........
Careful with those zerks - it's very easy to over-grease and get grease on the shoes. They don't work well when that happens! A visual check (drums off) before camping season is good PM.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I "inspect" my brakes and bearings about every 7 years. Why 7 years? Experience.

I find out that the magnets are done about every 10 years so I "inspect" them and see what they look like at 7 years. I have never repacked the bearing unless I do a brake job. A repack is just not needed "for me." In over a dozen trailers I have owned (not all TT'er) I have never lost a bearing.

"For me" the shoe's last forever. I think on my 30 YO trailer I replaced the shoe's once. If I remember right I think they were contaminated and not wore out.

This is what "I" do and YMMV because driving styles make a big difference.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't say if you have manually adjusted the brakes, but if not they need to be. It is not likely that the shoes, or magnets need replacing yet. If you detect no braking issues, you may be okay for a while. I use a temp gun on the hubs once in a while, to see if all are close to the same. If one hub is MUCH hotter/colder than the others, it would indicate a brake, or bearing problem, that should be checked.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manually adjust them and then go camping!

And ease up on using those zerk fittings....
If you do NOT see signs os grease leaking they are still packed
Squirting grease in can blow seals and spread grease all over the shoes/drum etc
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the hubs off and inspect should take a hour. Then no worries.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch