Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ecodiesel and Nissan Cummins

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

here

Comparison, but not a head to head 'this one is better', just a detailed look inside each engine.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-
33 REPLIES 33

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO a real shame RAM let that CUMMINS go to the competition! I mean really who wants an "EGO DIESEL" ?

Uhhh Ram does not own Cummins, so in reality Ram has no say in the matter!

You could make the argument that Cummins "owns" Ram. Without them where would their HD pickup be? Treat them well, that is one vendor you do not want to tick off.

When I bought my 98 RAM/Cummins it was because of the engine. I figured the truck would fall apart but the truck proved to every trouble free and is still in great condition at 400K.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see more diesel options becoming available. There is certainly a place for both of these to meet different types of users.

If the Cummins 5.0 would have been an option when I was shopping for my 2012 F150 Max Payload I would have seriously looked at it, but by time you were done adding that heavier engine into the 8200 GVWR truck I would not have had enough payload left. If the truck had an 8800 GVWR then we would have maintained sufficient payload and I would have given that a hard look. And this is right where the new Nissan fits in.

rjstractor wrote:
The comparison between the Ram 1500 diesel and the Nissan XD will be inevitable, but the XD really will be in a class by itself as far as LD diesels go. I think its most direct competitor will be the F150HD Ecoboost. I think it will offer very comparable towing performance. Fuel economy remains to be seen as well as purchase price.

I agree these two trucks seem to be similar in terms of capability. If Nissan goes with an 8800 GWVR and we compare that with the new F150 Max Payload at 7850 GVWR Ford will probably come out ahead on the payload because of the lighter chassis and motor. Nissan will likely be able to put up payload of about 2k which is respectable and hopefully they will include a stout hitch. I would expect the Nissan to have better MPG, more weight on the front axle which adds stability and better engine braking. On paper it has real potential. Question will be one of execution in design and manufacturing. It will be fun to see how the higher torque of the Cummins 5.0 plays out against the higher HP of the EcoBoost when the TFL guys run it up the Ike gauntlet. Not suggesting this is the best test of a towing rig, but it is fun to watch.

Mostly this is just fun to see new diesels and trucks coming out. I will be sticking with the truck in my signature for a long time. It works well for what I am doing.
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO a real shame RAM let that CUMMINS go to the competition! I mean really who wants an "EGO DIESEL" ?

You could make the argument that Cummins "owns" Ram. Without them where would their HD pickup be? Treat them well, that is one vendor you do not want to tick off.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
texasclarks wrote:
Still wish Titan would make theirs a Heavy-Half ton with beefier front & rear suspensions. It will be an interesting TV to look at when the eventually come out.
how mmuch more do you want. 8800 GVW. This is equal to the old 3/4 tons. Aisin trans and the same axle as he ram power wagon.

Going back to 2001, a 2500 had 9200 GVWR...I consider that old at 14 yrs ago, unless you're going back even further.

Aisin transmission was in the old 3/4 tons???? Which one's?
I said the GVW was equivalent to the old 3/4 tons. You were asking to make it beefier. And I said aisin transmission and same rear axle as a power wagon.

With that being said, the Nissan has a better tow rating and more power than my old 1 ton dually. I think it is a good choice for a lot of weekend warriors.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Aisin is approx 160# heavier than the Ram 68RFE automatic, probably cutting into GVWR, so that would have to be considered, unless there is another lighter duty Aisin tranny available....heck, if Cummins can move around, maybe the Allison could be dropped into the Nissan with the Cummins:)

Ford slaps the heavier duty Allison behind the Cummins 6.7 in their F650/750 trucks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
texasclarks wrote:
Still wish Titan would make theirs a Heavy-Half ton with beefier front & rear suspensions. It will be an interesting TV to look at when the eventually come out.
how mmuch more do you want. 8800 GVW. This is equal to the old 3/4 tons. Aisin trans and the same axle as he ram power wagon.

Going back to 2001, a 2500 had 9200 GVWR...I consider that old at 14 yrs ago, unless you're going back even further.

I said the GVW was equivalent to the old 3/4 tons. You were asking to make it beefier. And I said aisin transmission and same rear axle as a power wagon.

With that being said, the Nissan has a better tow rating and more power than my old 1 ton dually. I think it is a good choice for a lot of weekend warriors.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Aisin is approx 160# heavier than the Ram 68RFE automatic, probably cutting into GVWR, so that would have to be considered, unless there is another lighter duty Aisin tranny available....heck, if Cummins can move around, maybe the Allison could be dropped into the Nissan with the Cummins:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
ib1516 & Scott get it. I am not sure why everyone else has such a hard time with that.

The truck was not designed to tow RVs. And most trucks, especially 1500's, rarely tow much.

Then why is Sam Elliot telling me different every 2nd set of commercials? "Forget Jack of all trades, the Ram 1500 masters them all..." & "...Ram 1500 's unbeatable combination of towing, hauling, interior and impeachable fuel economy..."?
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
texasclarks wrote:

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Uhhh I never said they did.

Someone can correctly but the Cummins was intended for the RAM but Fiat wanted to use their own engine "EGO DIESEL" so Fred Diaz took the Cummins with him when he left RAM and went to Nissan.

Actually Fiat has a foot in both doors, not only owning VMotori, but co developing the Cummins Diesel with Cummins, it's version is called the Tector and it also appears in the CNH Agricultural machinery as well which Fiat owns

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The comparison between the Ram 1500 diesel and the Nissan XD will be inevitable, but the XD really will be in a class by itself as far as LD diesels go. I think its most direct competitor will be the F150HD Ecoboost. I think it will offer very comparable towing performance. Fuel economy remains to be seen as well as purchase price.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
I would have bought a 5 ltr diesel in my ram for sure. Especially if it was a 4000 option vs the 8000 the 6.7 is. I would not pay 8. I would have bought the hemi. I am a self professed ram fan. So it was going to be a ram.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Someone (the author of that article) GETS IT. The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is marketed to those who want fuel economy and will tow occasionally. The Nissan will be marketed to those who want to tow and haul heavier loads than most half ton owners, but don't want a 3/4 ton. Great stategies by both.

Ram has no need for the 5.0L Cummins as it's too close to the capability of their other offerings. The 3.0L was what they needed as it offers better MPG. Look at all the ads for the EcoDiesel. Great mpg is what they brag about, not it's HD towing and hauling capabilities.

Yes ! exactly
Horses for courses,they don't compete with each other , so more choices is good,pick the one that suits your needs.

No they don't. One is a 5 litre engine and the other is a 3 litre. A head to head comparison is pointless because the results would be obvious.

Did you even read it?
It was not a comparison in the sense of which is better ,in fact no statement was made as to a 'better'.
It was a dissection if you will , of each of the newest diesels on the market,no "pro or con" just a explanation of how each manufacturer approached design .

I read it and I get it but if a magazine puts them side by side you know darn well what some on this forum are going to do.

I like the 3/4T idea to but it would be FCA gambling hundreds of millions on it, not me.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
texasclarks wrote:

Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

SKG
Explorer
Explorer
I find it funny all these people slagging the Ram Ecodiesel and you don't even own one??? They are a nice small little motor with good power for the design. Its not built for racing its built for MPG's and long service life. If they wanted it to be a race engine they could have slapped a second turbo just like the fords Eco boost but like IB said they choose to be part of a different market segment.

The 3.0 liter motor tows great with great MPG's and if you want to really go at the towing capacity of the 1500 Ram then beat your brains out because the ratings for all trucks are firstly driven from marketing then performance for the trucks we use. Otherwise how would the OEM's justify the pricing matrix already in place?

I like our Eco diesel and I also like my Ram 6.7 CTD and love that its SRW despite all you DRW lemmings!!!! hahahaha Lets see what this brings.
2014 Silverback 37BH
2014 Ram Crew Cab 3.42 gears 370hp, 800tq

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
canadiankid wrote:
If Ram really wanted to make a point they could put the 5L cummins into their 3/4 tonne as a second diesel option. I personally think the 5L in a 3/4 tonne with the nice coil rear suspension would be great option.

X2
Then you would really have a difference between a 2500 and 3500.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin