cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing - How much?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Sold the class A and ready to downsize back to a TT.

I really prefer an RLS (rear living room) rig for just two older folks.

Is a 21' tandem-axle way too small, or would you go with a 26' RLS camper?

I could name a dozen or more reasons to get a smaller rig, but larger is nice only for the extra room to roam around in.

Decisions.....

Thanks

Edit: this is actual body length, not including the hitch.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
36 REPLIES 36

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Just get whatever the wife wants. Otherwise you will both be miserable.

JMO but this is terrible advice. 😞 By observation my own wife is no different than most and only cares about the floor plan, interior amenities, and decor of any trailer. She has zero interest in the technical aspects - length, weight, what it takes to tow it, how easy or difficult it may be to park, what it takes to maintain it, etc, etc, etc. BOTH partners need to have input when selecting a trailer suitable for both so to suggest "just get whatever the wife wants" is sure to result in disappointment later when it becomes apparent those aforementioned technical details are just as important and not to be ignored. 😉

Right on SoundGuy, Whenever we look for a TT, she picks the floor plan but I hold out for aerodynamics and weight. I've rejected 90% of TT's she'd like cause they had flat backs (bad design). Ended up with a very aerodynamic '05 26' TrailCruiser that our weak engined 94 Suburban can tow comfortably. Took us about a year to find a good one.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Take out the dinette and put in a couple of nice, small recliners.

Eat sitting in the recliner.

Like this
https://www.rvcorral.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=5534171&p=1&make=keystone%20rv&vc=trav...

rose090999
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently looking to upsize from our 19' TT and seem to be in the same situation. Right now I think the "sweet spot" for a couples TT is about 25'(30' from hitch to bumper) for us. The 19' is perfect if I'm camping by myself but when the wife and dog come along it's a little cramped plus the dog keeps me up all night pacing around. It seems like at that length you get separate bedroom (to keep the dog out), theater seating to relax, dinette, nice size bathroom, and additional counter space....anything bigger seems to be overkill for us.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Take out the dinette and put in a couple of nice, small recliners.

Eat sitting in the recliner.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
We found a 26' TT too small for two people on rainy days - and not many options for comfortable seating. TT furniture is not in the same league as what you had in your class A.

Rob

I go along with this. Our 21 foot trailer is great for weekends and the odd week-long trip, but to actually "live" in it would get tiresome quickly. The dinette seating is comfortable for maybe 20 minutes - and there are no other seats.

I would want room for some sort of recliner type chairs, or at a minimum a comfortable couch.

We love our 21 footer and weekend with it all the time, but when I am just relaxing at the campground I am just about always outside in a comfy recliner camp chair.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

JMO but this is terrible advice. 😞 By observation my own wife is no different than most and only cares about the floor plan, interior amenities, and decor of any trailer. She has zero interest in the technical aspects - length, weight, what it takes to tow it, how easy or difficult it may be to park, what it takes to maintain it, etc, etc, etc. BOTH partners need to have input when selecting a trailer suitable for both so to suggest "just get whatever the wife wants" is sure to result in disappointment later when it becomes apparent those aforementioned technical details are just as important and not to be ignored. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tnrv'er wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Like so many, the OP asked a question that only he knows the answer to. Full timing? Weekend trips? Tow vehicle? Destinations? Budget? So many variables. I have traveled in fifth wheels, travel trailers, 34' Class A motorhome, Sprinter chassis class B, and just finished up three months in a truck camper. What works for me, might not work for you.

IMO you cant get much more spot on than this^^^^^^^ While some may judge it as "fence sitting" only the OP knows what he & the wife needs are.

Yup, it's all up to you and the style of camper that you are used too.

I Love my 20 foot TT. For me and the dog plus occasionally the girlfriend it works well. Easy to tow. Easy to park. I can take it anywhere.

But, I am a weekend camper that stays close to home.

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
My camper box is 21 feet and is a bunkhouse, my kids are grown so don't camp anymore but we've always had plenty of room. Even now with the bunks empty there is plenty of room for me and the dogs.

I also pack so light half the cabinets and front baggage area are empty, never understood the need to pack so much junk for a camping trip but to each his own.

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 17 foot Hybrid and upgraded to a 25 foot Catalina, we studied the floor plans of various trailers to get what we wanted for the type of camping/travel we do. We wanted access to the kitchen and dinette as well as bathroom without having to extend the slide as we travel.

Look at the floor plans for your type of life style, you will be happier as opposed to looking at size, In my opinion.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
tnrv'er wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Like so many, the OP asked a question that only he knows the answer to. Full timing? Weekend trips? Tow vehicle? Destinations? Budget? So many variables. I have traveled in fifth wheels, travel trailers, 34' Class A motorhome, Sprinter chassis class B, and just finished up three months in a truck camper. What works for me, might not work for you.

IMO you cant get much more spot on than this^^^^^^^ While some may judge it as "fence sitting" only the OP knows what he & the wife needs are.

I agree with this. I've got a 21ft class C with two large dogs and have no problem even with visitors. I also have a 12ft box trailer and other than a lot less storage, it works fine for the three of us too, although not so much for visitors.

Others can't stand being in anything less than 26ft solo.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:
Theres a another non-slide (ORV 22RD, I think is the model) that im also liking. Just stating to like the non-slides more lately.

Our most recent Coachmen was the first we've ever owned with a slide and although there's no question a slide does open up the interior of any trailer I'm still not convinced. No slide topper means dragging along a ladder so I can reach the top of the slide for cleaning and of course any slide means additional mechanical / electrical complication. Pundits will always claim that slide issues are relatively infrequent but I've personally talked to others in campgrounds experiencing slide failure and read countless stories of slide issues here on the forums. No slide(s) obviously eliminates any of these issues entirely. One of our previous trailers was a non-slide K-Z Spree 240BH-LX triple bunk bed family trailer and our family of four had plenty of space. If we were living in it full time that would be another issue but as a recreational vehicle used a few times each season I'd have no issue whatsoever returning to a non-slide trailer.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you sound guy but to each their own. My buddies wife packs a lot of stuff because she "might" need it. I like your neighbors camper! Theres a another non-slide (ORV 22RD, I think is the model) that im also liking. Just stating to like the non-slides more lately

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Like so many, the OP asked a question that only he knows the answer to. Full timing? Weekend trips? Tow vehicle? Destinations? Budget? So many variables.

tnrv'er wrote:

Exactly. I personally don't see how any couple could find any trailer measuring ~ 25' coupler to bumper as "too small" or offer too little storage. After all, unless you're living in it full time how much space do 2 adults really need, how much storage? :h These are recreational vehicles intended for occasional occupancy a few days to perhaps a few weeks at a time. Fellow around the corner bought a new Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD last year and as far as I can tell it's been off his driveway exactly once this entire season :R ... SO tempting to go ask him if I could buy it! Like most Airstreams it too doesn't have a slide - JMO but shorter and simpler the better. :B

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Our 25 ft Airstream was the perfect size for 2. It was half ton towable. It was our first travel trailer and wish we had never sold.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Let me say... weekend use, some weekday use, a coast-to-coast trip, dodge 2500 diesel. but, I do like smaller campers best.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer