cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down payment on a new 2018 Grand Design Reflection 279RSTS

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Well DW and I shopped around for a couple of weeks looking at new trailers. DS and DD are older now and don't do a lot of camping with us anymore so it was time to trade in the Rockwood with bunks for a couples trailer. It has a pull out sofa bed so more than happy to take them along in the future.

We decided on a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 279RSTS Travel Trailer. Finalized the deal today and paid the down payment.

Should have it in a couple of weeks after the PDI is done. Will go and sign all of the paperwork on Saturday and go over it to highlight everything that we want them to fix. Hopefully not a lot.

First trip already planned for 2 weeks in Florida once we pick it up.

Sad to see the Rockwood go. Lots of good memories over the last 11 years but really looking forward to making new ones in this trailer.:)
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller
17 REPLIES 17

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, we're newbie GD owners too! This weekend is our first real trip more than a few minutes away from home. And we're double towing for the first time, the very reason we went back to a 5th wheel. I can't find anything I don't like about the Grand Design. It was the first unit we looked at. I hope you have many good years with yours and safe travels!

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your new home on wheels!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
Sounds like everyone loves their Grand Design RVs. Very good to hear. We were also thinking about a Cougar but it was more money and less features that we like. The only thing that the Cougar had that I liked was the autolevel system.

I will definitely join the GD forum. Looking forward to all of the great people and information.
Not sure about the travel trailer lineup, but Reflection Fifth Wheels come standard with an auto leveling system. When it's time to hook up, the system puts the trailer at the same level it was when unhooked, leaving no guess work. I just line up to the king pin and lock in.

We looked at Cougar, Jayco, and a few others. All paled in comparison. Got mine brand new for less than one dealer wanted for a leftover 2017 model which was unimpressive.

To the OP, my experience with the fresh water is the same as what ksbowman wrote - mostly because he has the same rig I guess!

X2 on the GD owners forum. Lots of nice folks on there - very refreshing atmosphere.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Looks like a great unit. Was just looking yesterday (dreaming ahead) of the kind of thing we might get when the day comes for us (still a ways down the road). This is exactly the kind of thing we would look at for our 'empty nest, non-retired' years. Congrats!

Yes exactly what we are doing. Thanks
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great unit. Was just looking yesterday (dreaming ahead) of the kind of thing we might get when the day comes for us (still a ways down the road). This is exactly the kind of thing we would look at for our 'empty nest, non-retired' years. Congrats!

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like everyone loves their Grand Design RVs. Very good to hear. We were also thinking about a Cougar but it was more money and less features that we like. The only thing that the Cougar had that I liked was the autolevel system.

I will definitely join the GD forum. Looking forward to all of the great people and information.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
My 2016 GD Reflection 303 rls has a overflow/vent tube coming off the fresh water tank that exits next to the fresh water drain valve. When filling water will run out when the tank is full. Very easy fill. My spare is under the back of the trailer and jacks down with a handle that goes in the thru an opening at the back of the passenger side slide. Works very smooth, unfortunately I just used it last week. We love our Reflection, I'm sure you will enjoy your GD.

Awesome. That makes me feel better knowing that.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailer_newbe wrote:
You selected a very nice trailer. Just curious where do they store the spare tire?

On the Reflection series, the spares are on a crank-up cable system underneath the trailer just behind the rear axle.

OP - take a look at the Grand Design Owners Forum and consider joining. It 's a great bunch of folks over there and the forums are independent from GD (owned and operated by a volunteer GD owner).

GD Owners Forum

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Love our GD Imagine. There's a GD owners page on Facebook. Lots of info & help there if you need it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
Well DW and I shopped around for a couple of weeks looking at new trailers. DS and DD are older now and don't do a lot of camping with us anymore so it was time to trade in the Rockwood with bunks for a couples trailer. It has a pull out sofa bed so more than happy to take them along in the future.

We decided on a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 279RSTS Travel Trailer. Finalized the deal today and paid the down payment.

Should have it in a couple of weeks after the PDI is done. Will go and sign all of the paperwork on Saturday and go over it to highlight everything that we want them to fix. Hopefully not a lot.

First trip already planned for 2 weeks in Florida once we pick it up.

Sad to see the Rockwood go. Lots of good memories over the last 11 years but really looking forward to making new ones in this trailer.:)

Congrats, as you can see I have a 315 RLTS, I recommend you join the Grand Design owner forum at granddesignowners.com/
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2016 GD Reflection 303 rls has a overflow/vent tube coming off the fresh water tank that exits next to the fresh water drain valve. When filling water will run out when the tank is full. Very easy fill. My spare is under the back of the trailer and jacks down with a handle that goes in the thru an opening at the back of the passenger side slide. Works very smooth, unfortunately I just used it last week. We love our Reflection, I'm sure you will enjoy your GD.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Awesome choice - as the owner of a new GD 303RLS fifth wheel, I'm comfortable with saying that your going to love it! Where in Florida is the shake down trip?

Thanks. Glad to hear that you are very happy with yours. We are going to Gulf View RV Resort and Punta Gorda. Looks like a nice place and part of our Thousand Trails membership.

One question that I hope you can answer is about filling the fresh water tank and how you know when it is full. With my current trailer and gravity feed just waited till it ran out. With pressure fill I am concerned about damaging something if I don't realize it is full and not sure best way to do that.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
congrats,, grand designs are very nice

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
You selected a very nice trailer. Just curious where do they store the spare tire?

Very good question. I need to look this weekend where underneath it is and how it comes down. Will let you know once I find it.
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller