cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic air conditioner OK?

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Hey y'all, my old rig is in need of a new air conditioner. I see that rv parts country has dometic ac units for decent prices. Are they a decent unit? I typically have had Coleman AC units and they work well. My camper has it's original Coleman ac unit in it now, or at least i think it's the original.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.
11 REPLIES 11

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, i appreciate them! I'm going to continue looking, but it's good to know both units are decent and reliable.

Any issues with changing the coleman to dometic? I guess im mainly concerned with the existing electrical in my rig. Physically, they both should be the same (14x14 roof vent opening).

I've never changed out an AC on an rv. But it does not seem too bad to me. Trying to avoid any mistakes. I don't want it to leak inside the coach when done. From what I understand you tighten it down until the gasket is half it's original thickness? Subject to the install instructions it comes with of course.

Any tips / suggestions from those that have done it?

Thanks
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I would install is a soft starter. They will add about $350 to HVAC, but they reduce the LRA by up to 70 percent. This might allow you to start a 15K HVAC while gunning your gensets in eco mode.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Camper G wrote:
Ok, thanks guys. The one i was looking at is a dometic, not duotherm

Same thing- Duotherm by Dometic, though I see they are dropping the Duotherm name.

I have had duotherm/dometic in all of my previous and my current trailer. All have worked flawlessly.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old motorhome had the original Duotherm in it from 1990. It worked perfectly. A couple of summers ago we were camping at the beach and it was hot, hot every day. The static temperature in the campground. That old Duotherm kept the inside of our old motorhome ice cold all day, every day. Granted, it was a 1990 model AC unit and most certainly made in the USA.

I put a brand new Carrier on my wife's grooming van that lasted about a year and a half. When it quit I bought a scratch-n-dent duotherm from Adventure.rv and it worked great till the day we sold the van and I would bet it's still going strong. As far as noise I could never tell that one was louder than another. I suppose it's possible but, I wasn't paying attention.

I once bought a Coleman AC off of a wrecked class B. I installed in on the van I converted to a camper then, when we sold that I put in on the cabover camper we bought. It was rock solid reliable.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Dometic works very well so far. It is no noisier than others I have had, in fact, I'd say more quiet. It is 15K, and easily cools my FW in any temps I've been in. I'd buy same for replacement, if needed.

Jerry

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks. The dometic is about $100 less than the Coleman and my rig is not worth much so I'm weighing all my options. Im not concerned about noise pwr se, I'm mainly concerned with reliability

I appreciate the thoughts

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:

Same thing- Duotherm by Dometic, though I see they are dropping the Duotherm name.
-- Chris Bryant

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Personally, I would go with US built Colemen over the made in China Duotherm.

Some are being made in INDIANA now.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would go with US built Colemen over the made in China Duotherm.
-- Chris Bryant

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stick with the Coleman. The Dometic units are very loud in my opinion.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)