cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does anyone use stabilizers under their slide out?

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has a slide where the kitchen table and couch slide out and I was wondering if I need to be using some type of stabilizer when it is in the out position. If so, which ones are the best without costing a fortune?
72 REPLIES 72

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
twxsby89 wrote:
Is this type of banter common around here? I left a Jeep forum for the same thing. If we were all camping together, would this same conversation have a different tone? Just curious.

This is the first time I have been here in a long time and I see the same thing and mostly from the same people. It seems some of those who are more high and mighty cannot resist the urge to either insult someone or their RV. I frequent a lot of other forums and by far this is the worst. This is it for me as I will not return. If a moderator would, please delete my account
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
CAUTION
Additional support jacks are not needed under the slideout.
Damage can occur to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support jacks

Seriously?

First,it does not say "Do Not Use" and secondly and most importantly it says "Improper use"...Improper use applies to everything in an RV.

As an example...Every firearm manufacturer I know does not warranty there firearm using any type of reloaded ammunition therefor by using such it voids your firearm warranty.Millions of people reload safely and by doing so void there warranty.

Improper use of any product could result in injury or death....Used properly, some after market products for RV's come in pretty darn handy and help your RV last a lot longer such as tire covers to protect against sun damage to the tires etc etc.

Lot's of RVer's use slide out stabilizers and they get high marks for there ability to stabilize not only the slide out, but the whole RV..Win/Win for those wanting more stabilization..

Like anything..If used properly they are nothing but a plus to RV living.
You are correct. It does not say do not use. It says not needed. :B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
Is this type of banter common around here? I left a Jeep forum for the same thing. If we were all camping together, would this same conversation have a different tone? Just curious.
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Crambo

I have not find one (1) RV MFG. that recommends using slideout supports.
Fact is they recommend against using them

One major retailer says they, "Protect your slide-out extension tubes from bending, causing difficult slide-out operation." Sounds pretty serious--a bent frame could be bad news when it's time to weigh anchor and hit the road. But hang on a minute--if they're so critical, why don't RV manufacturers provide them with new rigs, or at least make them a piece of optional equipment?

And that begs the question: If your slide out needs stabilization to prevent damage, why aren't there scores of unhappy campers limping across the country on their way to service bays, slide out rooms flapping in the breeze?

Just an aftermarket product that is NOT needed or required

BUT can be used if so desired......So like everything in life YOU have to decide if something available aftermarket is worth it.

Hahahahah...I posted that picture a long time ago....Copy Cat..:B

I will let everyone who has never used stabilizer jacks bash the heck out of them without ever having used them..Ignore those that have used them and have valid opinions on how they work...

Have fun...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Crambo

One major retailer says they, "Protect your slide-out extension tubes from bending, causing difficult slide-out operation." Sounds pretty serious--a bent frame could be bad news when it's time to weigh anchor and hit the road. But hang on a minute--if they're so critical, why don't RV manufacturers provide them with new rigs, or at least make them a piece of optional equipment?

And that begs the question: If your slide out needs stabilization to prevent damage, why aren't there scores of unhappy campers limping across the country on their way to service bays, slide out rooms flapping in the breeze?

BUT can be used if so desired......So like everything in life YOU have to decide if something available aftermarket is worth it.

Like button
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crambo

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Let air out of a tire on the side of the slide out and see what happens. Or even from just the suspension movement alone.

They are not worth the potential problems they can cause.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
OK. Let's put it this way then!!!!!

Do not use aftermarket slide out supports. They will damage the slide out room and/or assembly!

Very simple!

Not quite.I cannot find one example of the slide out support damaging anything when properly used or even improperly used.I have used mine for 5 years without any damage what so ever and I have even had the dreaded flat tire with them in use.

I assume you own a pair to reply as you have..What happened to your slide with them on?
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Let's put it this way then!!!!!

Do not use aftermarket slide out supports. They will damage the slide out room and/or assembly!

Very simple!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
The entertainment level is high with this thread
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
CAUTION
Damage can occur to your slideout room from improper use of aftermarket support jacks

Seriously?

First,it does not say "Do Not Use" and secondly and most importantly it says "Improper use"...Improper use applies to everything in an RV.

As an example...Every firearm manufacturer I know does not warranty there firearm using any type of reloaded ammunition therefor by using such it voids your firearm warranty.Millions of people reload safely and by doing so void there warranty.

Improper use of any product could result in injury or death....Used properly, some after market products for RV's come in pretty darn handy and help your RV last a lot longer such as tire covers to protect against sun damage to the tires etc etc.

Lot's of RVer's use slide out stabilizers and they get high marks for there ability to stabilize not only the slide out, but the whole RV..Win/Win for those wanting more stabilization..

Like anything..If used properly they are nothing but a plus to RV living.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Here is what Jayco RV has to say in their Owners Manuals

CAUTION
Game, Set, Match.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is what Jayco RV has to say in their Owners Manuals

CAUTION
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Crambo wrote:
Guys, I didn't mean to get an argument going. I was just digging through an RV catalog and was looking for gift ideas since everyone is asking me what I want. I have never felt a need for them but thought I would ask before putting them on my must have list. I have been out of the RV game for several years so I am eager to gather items that I might need.
LOL Don't worry about starting an argument here. There are some here that live for it and would argue with a rock. :B

THATS FOR SURE !!!

As hohenwald48 says those type stabilizers come from another era before the modern powered slide outs. Tips outs or pull outs as they were called required the stabilizers. These types wer all pulled out by hand. My first unit with a pull out came with the stabilizers.

Now would I use them on modern hydraulic or gear drive slide outs I've owned. Nope...especially where we camp. Now if I had 200 lb kids romping around then I might consider them.

Will you need them ?? I doubt it...unless your 200 lb kids get rowdy ๐Ÿ™‚
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crambo wrote:
Guys, I didn't mean to get an argument going. I was just digging through an RV catalog and was looking for gift ideas since everyone is asking me what I want. I have never felt a need for them but thought I would ask before putting them on my must have list. I have been out of the RV game for several years so I am eager to gather items that I might need.
LOL Don't worry about starting an argument here. There are some here that live for it and would argue with a rock. :B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds