cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone here use air shocks?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems that I have seen a lot of discussion on here about air bags vs Timbrens or Supersprings but I came across these air shocks that seems to be reasonable priced and easy to install. They are not as strong as the other devices but are probably all that I would need on a half ton truck. So has anyone tried them?

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A5839A0A0.aspx
14 REPLIES 14

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
About thirty or forty years ago, I had air shocks on one of my vehicles.
Within the parameters detailed in the instructions, they were great. They are not intended to replace overload springs!
As always, when all else fails, read and follow the instructions.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I put some on my 70 impala back in high school so I could get the jacked up rake look when I wanted it. Wouldn’t use them on a truck for hauling anything heavy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Groover wrote:
The reason that I asked is that a family member has found a gooseneck horse trailer that is light enough to be pulled with an F150 but the gooseneck hitch is not compatible with air bags from what I have been able to find out. So my choices are no extra support, air shocks, Timbrens or Super Springs. Etrailer.com recommends Timbrens for use with the hitch. I like the adjustability of the air springs and am concerned that the use of one of the other type devices will make the empty ride too harsh.

Have they installed the hitch yet? I would get the hitch installed and load the GN and hook it up and see how it sets, could be surprised.
I am a firm believer that a GN or 5er is a far safer and more stable package even at max GVWR than a bumper pull.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bedlam
Firestone makes two different mounts based on whether you have a goose neck or fifth wheel hitch installed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it turns out that etrailer's advice that air bags don't work with a gooseneck hitch apparently does not apply to the Airlift 5000 bags with built in jounce bumpers so we are keeping the Airlifts for now. Putting in the gooseneck hitch was easier than I thought that it would be and the F150 seems to pull it well. We did use a 5" offset ball to give us a more clearance from the back window with the 5.5' bed. We looked at going with an offset coupler on the trailer but decided that the benefit would be minimal as that type of offset does not help much when the trailer is sideways.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone makes airshocks for 3/4 ton front ends and I'd go with the Airlift bags on the rear. Have run them for years. I run about 15-20 lb ety and it takes the shock out of a 3/4 ton ride.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I had them on a 3/4 ton conversion van that I towed a 6500 lb loaded TT with, and they didn't do the job. As other have said, shock mounts are not designed to carry weight.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I would add a leaf long before I would trust an air shock with a heavy load.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
The reason that I asked is that a family member has found a gooseneck horse trailer that is light enough to be pulled with an F150 but the gooseneck hitch is not compatible with air bags from what I have been able to find out. So my choices are no extra support, air shocks, Timbrens or Super Springs. Etrailer.com recommends Timbrens for use with the hitch. I like the adjustability of the air springs and am concerned that the use of one of the other type devices will make the empty ride too harsh.

I have Timbrens on my Ram 2500. I set up mine to set about 3/4" above the spring perch so under normal driving conditions they don't make contact. When I drop my 5th wheel in the bed the truck squats to make contact and they provide excellent helper support for my coil springs.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's my understanding as well... Shock mounts are not designed to be load-bearing, so if you go into this thinking air shocks == air bags, you will be sorely disappointed.

Don't think that they'd be all you need because, "it's only a half ton truck." Half ton trucks are the ones that need the MOST help usually.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Except for the Bilsteins made for the GM SUVs, most air shocks are lacking in the damping department. The Bilsteins are huge however, so they don't fit other applications. The more modestly sized air shocks make it all fit by reducing both chamber sizes, so they don't do either function very well.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Shock mounts aren't meant to carry weight. Now if the full size car or burb or suv needed help with leveling light loads then they may work in that situation.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Helper air spring are more durable.