Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does a lower profile tow better? NOT a mileage Question

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Not concerned about Mileage.

I'm looking for a new to me Travel trailer (2010 or newer). I plan to use my 2014 F150 as a TV. It's specs are 1400# payload, CC, 4wd, EB 3.5, integrated brakes and 6.5'bed.

Only one kid still at home for a couple of years, so don't plan on a bunkhouse just a fold out or convertible table for a 6' kid. Travel 3-5 times a year 100-300 miles and once every 4-5 years cross country trips.

I'm looking to stay around 5500# and 28'. I've seen a couple of local used models that are lower profile and more aerodynamic (Cougar X-Lite and a Keystone Vantage). Their dry weights are 6200-6300#'s. Should I consider them as well? I'll use a WDH/Sway system.

Thanks
62 REPLIES 62

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You could argue this all day long, and at 4 pages it looks like it might go to many weeks.

Just get yourself some sway bars and a nice weight distributing hitch and go camping!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
There really is no rhyme or reason to gas mileage. The worse mileage I ever got for a full days drive was 7.5 mpg!!! Hills and hard head winds. The best mpg I ever got is 12.7 mpg. with a very strong tail wind. I average 10 mpg and so do most folks.

But the issue is not mpg but towing comfort. Since I am from the school that says floor plan is everything; you find the TT you like, hook-up and go.

A good floor plan, a decent TV match at a price you can afford are my priorities.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
any thing you get in the 28 or shorter model will be mostly OK behind teh f-150. The 3.5 EB is a strong engine with the main issue payload. for no more than you are going to be using the RV go with floor plan and then go camp.

if you have the same TV pulling a 30 ft airstream vs a 30 ft 5th wheel the airstream will tow better, especially in winds, and you will get better MPG. the difference is one shaped more like an airplane and other more like a brick.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Our travel trailer (BigFoot) had radius top corners all around similar to an Airstream and was also a low profile trailer. It towed very nicely and super stable but the only other thing I had to compare it to was a very low profile Coleman pop-up. That thing towed just OK except when the water tank was filled and then it swayed terribly. There are other tradeoffs with low profile. Any one over 6'-2" should probably cross BigFoot off their consideration list.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
The only difference we've noticed about our sloped-front Bullet is that there's less overhead storage space for our foldable clothes over the bed. The slope eats into that space. There's also less head room sitting up in bed. Fortunately, my husband and I aren't tall, and we don't tend to read or watch t.v. in bed, so it's not a big issue for us.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I was enjoying the wind buffet waltz with my 25 ft. TT when a 5er came my me with half again my length and half again my height. The weather man had predicted 25 mph gusts which sounds about right.

It was a big truck but not a dually. I was going 60 mph he was probably 65 mph. I surmised that both of us were comfortable at our towing speeds because neither of us slowed down.

Fifth wheel or not I have to believe the driver was feeling the wind on that much side area but the traffic was light and he seemed no more concerned than I did.

It goes back to the fact that people drive at the speed they are comfortable with for the driving conditions they are in.

"Better towing" is an individual measure, different for each of us.

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
Our current TT is an airstream which replaced a Keystone Bullet (1500 lbs lighter) I never had any issues towing the Bullet but I do believe that the Airstream is an easier tow and more stable - especially into a brisk headwind, I track fuel milage, towing the Airstream results in about 10 % better mpg but I do not believe that fuel milage is a very good reason to select one TT over another. The Airstream is perfect for us, but may not be a for other traveling enthusiasts. The best TT is one that is properly set up on a TV that meets tow weight and pin weight specs of your TT.
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I have four different trailers that I tow regularly. They all tow acceptably and what I would call safely.

I suspect any difference in how they handle would likely come down to what might happen in an emergency swerve situation, or for instance, running off the road at speed.
My 24' low deck equipment trailer, if it were empty would likely be very difficult to roll, since it's C-of-G is very low indeed when empty. By comparison, my travel trailer is not only taller but has a narrower track width, so would be more likely to roll.

Trailers are generally designed with a short travel stiff suspension which helps them remain more stable in the roll axis since the suspension does not allow as much roll angle compared to a longer travel, softer suspension.
I see potential advantages and disadvantages in both leaf spring vs torsion axles under trailers. Coincidentally, two of my trailers are leaf, and two are torsion. They all work.

We can logically argue that a Corvette handles better than a 4WD pickup towing a trailer. But does that mean you're gonna die in a firey roll-over crash just because you choose to drive a pickup daily ? Well, maybe, maybe not. Up to the user to develop the skills to safely operate anything.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
The lower CG will only improve roll over stability, the possibility of sway is the same as any other trailer.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about it. All will tow just fine. Pick the plan you want and go for it.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the rig is really not stable or a terrible mis match, how a rig tows is such a personal thing it is hard to define.

My 2500 lb PUP would sway a little from side to side. I never paid much attention to it. My 6000 lb TT is rock steady.

I would never expect two TT to tow the same, any more than I would expect two vehicles to drive the same. It is just something you get in and do.

I really bad TV and TT match are soon corrected or replaced.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line - I think there are other factors to consider.

My $.02, having towed four different trailers around the country.....

My heaviest, largest and least aerodynamic trailer tows the best. It tows so great that I don't use WD or sway control. See my sig below.

My personal theory is that there's probably an equation that describes the relationship between weight, physical dimensions/shape, and stability. My lightest trailer was my least favorite to tow - that was 28' and 5000 lbs. I think it was too much of a sail and not enough weight.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Given that the trailers are box shaped (otherwise comparable) the one better to tow will be short versus tall, and the Floor will be lower. In fact, shorter height but longer length will still be better than the tall one.

Crosswinds are what turn TT over. Theyโ€™re NOT comparable to other trailer types UNLESS these other types have the high floor, tall roof and extended sail area.

Best upgrade are torsion axles. Independent suspension with far better roll center height. Can much more easily deal with road surface problems as have much more wheel travel. Better ride, too. Should be standard.

As to 4WD versus 2WD, if the latter has IFS plus rack & pinion steering, it will be the better TV. As itโ€™s likely lower in ground height, that much more so. Will have lower operating and ownership costs, and quite likely a better turning radius. MPG also better and ride quality.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
Please!!!

I'm not concerned about the mileage. Just wanting to know if the towing is really improved.
I have raised all of my TTs. I have never been able to tell any difference in towing after the raise.... But it does put a stop to dragging all the time.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW