cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge EcoDiesel

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I currently tow a 24', 6000# wet, trailer with a 2012 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 engine. While it does OK, I am considering moving to a diesel, specifically the Dodge EcoDiesel. My concern is whether or not that is enough engine. I really like the specs on the Eco but I want to be sure I will get enough extra power by trading up. If anyone has some first, or second, hand info on this engine I would greatly appreciate you passing it on. Of course my second choices are Chevy or Dodge 3/4 ton diesels. I have no intention of buying a bigger trailer so that is not a future concern. Thanks in advance.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
23 REPLIES 23

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Well, here's the update.I did purchase the Ecodiesel. As I said earlier I tow 5-6k per year and I didn't want a 3/4 ton, or bigger, for a daily driver. While I wasn't towing today I got 23 mpg going up to 7000' from 1400'. Over on the Ram1500diesel forum they all extol the virtues of this set up. I really appreciate conversation that has taken place her. My thanks to everyone that contributed. I won't be towing for a couple of months but when I do I will start a thread to share my observations. Again, thanks for the info, it really helped.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:

There is also a huge difference between towing a 6,800 boat with little wind resistance versus towing a 6,000 RV with a lot of wind resistance especially at higher speeds. I could hook my old boat to my old 5.4L F150 and it would do the speed limit up any hill you wanted. However, hooking up a lighter RV that I rented to it and it would barely do 50 mph up the same hills. It was that truck that made me swear that I would never buy a truck with "just enough" power again.

It's funny you said that because it was my '98 F150 5.4 truck that I learned that just enough power wasn't going to cut it.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That said, I WISH my company would put us in these new 1/2 ton diesels. Even with the good unloaded mileage that the new gassers get, little fuel tanks and high miles have me filling the tank daily some days and average 3x a week at least. I would love something I could get 20+mpg consistently, simply for the time savings.
In the last few months, I've had to go about 45min out of my way to fuel up the truck, probably 10 different times.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
He's towing 6000# wet TT, he does not need a HD diesel pickup to do that! Hell I towed 9,800# with a 2500 CTD rated at 305/555 without one issue what so ever. Towing my 6800# boat over the Jellico my truck stays in 8 gear the whole way up towing @ 70 mph. Given most TT's are longer flat in the front I can't see him having any problems with that weight.

Now if he is thinking that he might get a larger TT within the next four years than he may want to look at a HD pickup. Otherwise he is just wasting his money IMO.

Don

I think you are missing the point of the OP. They seem to be looking for more power. If that is the goal there are better options than the ecodiesel staying in the half ton category. If the OP just wants a new truck and and extra power is not a high priority nothing wrong with the ED route.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
He's towing 6000# wet TT, he does not need a HD diesel pickup to do that! Hell I towed 9,800# with a 2500 CTD rated at 305/555 without one issue what so ever. Towing my 6800# boat over the Jellico my truck stays in 8 gear the whole way up towing @ 70 mph. Given most TT's are longer flat in the front I can't see him having any problems with that weight.

Now if he is thinking that he might get a larger TT within the next four years than he may want to look at a HD pickup. Otherwise he is just wasting his money IMO.

Don

Isn't yours tuned as well?

There is also a huge difference between towing a 6,800 boat with little wind resistance versus towing a 6,000 RV with a lot of wind resistance especially at higher speeds. I could hook my old boat to my old 5.4L F150 and it would do the speed limit up any hill you wanted. However, hooking up a lighter RV that I rented to it and it would barely do 50 mph up the same hills. It was that truck that made me swear that I would never buy a truck with "just enough" power again.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not go to the EcoDiesel. I would go to a 3.5 EcoBoost and never look back.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I asked OP what he's looking to improve, because honestly moving from a 2012 5.3 V8 to a new ecodiesel I don't think will be much of an improvement unless unloaded MPG is the #1 concern, or he is afraid of RPM's above 3,500. If he was moving from a 1983 350 V8 I'd say he'd be very pleased in every measurable category save for the payment$.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
For 6,000 lbs wet I'd opt for the F150 3.5 with 3.55 gears. That will yank that TT around like nothing. Empty you'll get pretty decent mpgs. And you'll have enough payload to be comfortable.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Not sure why others keep asking the OP what he's looking for in a new truck. Made it pretty clear he wants mo par! Oops I meant more power!

Eco D ain't the truck for that.

Work your way up in order from a little more to a lot more in the current models.

New 5.3 Chevy

1500Hemi

6.2 Chevy

Eco boost

3/4T diesel.

If it's towing power you're after, just go get a big diesel. Doesn't matter how fast all the big HP half tons are, there's no replacement for an addl 300-500ftlbs of tq.

LMAO do you own one? Have you driven one? Have you towed with on? No? Then you might want to qualify your post as in my opinion. I own one and have towed a 7800# TT through the hills of Tennessee without any issues at all. I tow a 6800# boat all summer again without one issue. Would I tow much more than 8500# with it, NO but this little diesel is a work horse.

Not everyone needs to own a semi to tow with. Buy the right tool for job. Do you use a ten pound sledgehammer to drive a finish nail? Then why buy a truck that is way over powered for the job you are doing?

Don

I don't own one. However, I have driven and towed with one, and I will back Grit up on this. It is way under powered compared to the other options he named if the OP is seeking something with extra power over his current 5.3L V8.

Doing the math from the HP required to tow thread, the OP would be slowed down to 55 mph with the Ecodiesel's 240 hp going up certain hills with what he tows. If he is coming from a 315 hp truck and wanting more power then I seriously doubt 240 hp will fit the bill.

Also, you have to understand that not everyone has the same expectations when towing. Some like me have "overpowered" vehicles because expect to at least do the speed limit with power to spare up any hill with what I tow. To me, that is not overpowered, that is just right. Others are fine with doing 10 or 20 mph under the speed limit up hills. There is nothing wrong with that as long as they move over to the right lane.

It is all relative to ones expectations. You may think 240 hp is fine towing, but I would go nuts having to drive something with 240 hp coming from a 450 rwhp truck. Heck, I think my 230 rwhp/390rwtq ZF 8-speed 3,500 lb diesel car is slow compared to my truck. I can't imagine how it would be with another 8k lbs......Actually yes I can because that is what I towed in the ED. However, my car is great on fuel economy which is why I bought it.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Not sure why others keep asking the OP what he's looking for in a new truck. Made it pretty clear he wants mo par! Oops I meant more power!
Work your way up in order from a little more to a lot more in the current models.
New 5.3 Chevy
1500Hemi
6.2 Chevy
Eco boost
3/4T diesel.

If it's towing power you're after, just go get a big diesel. Doesn't matter how fast all the big HP 1/2 tons are, there's no replacement for an addl 300-500ftlbs of tq.

LMAO do you own one? Have you driven one? Have you towed with on? No? Then you might want to qualify your post as in my opinion. I own one and have towed a 7800# TT through the hills of Tennessee without any issues at all. I tow a 6800# boat all summer again without one issue. Would I tow much more than 8500# with it, NO but this little diesel is a work horse.

Not everyone needs to own a semi to tow with. Buy the right tool for job. Do you use a ten pound sledgehammer to drive a finish nail? Then why buy a truck that is way over powered for the job you are doing?

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
New 5.3 Chevy
1500Hemi
6.2 Chevy
Eco boost
3/4T diesel.

If it's towing power you're after, just go get a big diesel. Doesn't matter how fast all the big HP 1/2 tons are, there's no replacement for an addl 300-500ftlbs of tq.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted a half ton Diesel I would wait until the new Chevy in line six came out next year.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd take the ecodiesel over the 5.3l to tow that trailer any day. Sure, it may lack horsepower for mountains or passing but it should truck down a normal road much better than the 5.3l, stronger and at a lower rpm with less downshifting. At 2000 rpms, the ecodiesel probably puts out 40% more power.