Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you drink.......

specta
Explorer
Explorer
the water from you FW tank?

I've read where some people don't and i don't understand why not.
If you have sanitized your system what is there to be afraid of??
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
53 REPLIES 53

video45
Explorer
Explorer
Like Hawkeye said to Sydney " Only to excess"

Thank you
Moondog

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Yes, I understand things *CAN* happen but the odds of that happening given reasonable precautions being taken, are very very small, almost negligible.
X2

We sanitize about every 3 years or so, give or take, and have over 110,000 miles on the 2013.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
We drink lots of water while camping, all of it from the RV tank. I ran a bit of bleach through 3 years ago, and try to drain it every year.

swhunter
Explorer
Explorer
We drink the water from our FW tank which is filled with good water from our well before we leave home. We usually carry a few 1. gallon jugs also filled with our well water, basically because I am in the habit of almost always carrying extra water with me all the time. I usually do a flushing routine of the FW tank once a year, which may include disinfecting it too. I do like to carry a in-line filter in case we have to get water at unfamiliar places.

swhunter

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I do take bottled water camping with me.

I take them with my when I ride my ATV.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, I understand things *CAN* happen but the odds of that happening given reasonable precautions being taken, are very very small, almost negligible.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
mkirsch wrote:
Seriously guys there are a lot worse things than what's in your tank. Have any of you ever been sick or heard of someone getting sick and it being directly attributed to the tank water in an RV?

Any time you are storing potable water there is some risk. Even water districts have boil orders when things go wrong and some have problems with the source.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criid/2013/286347/

https://www.epa.gov/ccl/types-drinking-water-contaminants

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tap-drinking-water-contaminants-pollutants/

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/public/water_diseases.html

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we do.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I *snick* *twitch* drink from my *twitch* *twitch* fresh tank all the time and *snort* *twitch* *snort* *twitch* *snick* have no issues *twitch* *twitch* *twitch*.

Seriously guys there are a lot worse things than what's in your tank. Have any of you ever been sick or heard of someone getting sick and it being directly attributed to the tank water in an RV?

Frankly, if you "don't want to take the chance" you shouldn't be camping.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I fail to understand how anyone could or would want to avoid drinking water from the fresh water tank. Even in moderate temps with moderate exercise my wife and I each drink about a gallon of water a day. If we stay in a National Park or remote area for even just a 10 day period that would total 20 gallons of bottled water. That would not include the water used for washing and rinsing dishes and certainly not for taking showers. I would really not want to use questionable for either of those.

Aside from the tremendous waste of plastic and the high cost, it just does not seem feasible to buy bottled water for drinking. I cannot even imagine trying to buy bottled water at some place like one of the general stores in Yellowstone. The cost would be more than camping fees and fuel costs combined.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I sanitize my tanks every spring, and even chlorinate water that gets put into the tanks (stops it from smelling later).
I will use my tank water for cooking, cleaning, bathing, toilet etc but we use bottled water for drinking/teeth. I guess my fear is not knowing the source of the water going INTO my tanks. but even at home we drink bottled water in 5 gallon jugs in a cooler.

now in my RV that used to set on a permanent lot, even though I delivered (chlorinated) water to it myself I still did not drink it. Plus it took too much water to sanitize the tanks every spring.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpoole wrote:
thedavidzoo wrote:
Well, .....Look into Berkey or Royal Dalton. Plus you just periodically clean the filters, no replacements to buy like those wasteful plastic Brita things! These systems are used by relief organizations like UNICEF, the Peace Corps and the Red Cross. Bonus, when the SHTF you are covered!

Kewl, thanks, I put it on the Amz wish list along with the stand... hard to overhang on Camper Sink...
Thanks again... nice one..

X2
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
We drive bottled water and use the tanks fresh water for showering, brushing teeth, doing dishes etc. we sanitize tank once a year in spring. We would drink from fresh tank, but primarily donโ€™t to extend boondocking range.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
From a trusted source,ofcourse we do and have for over 50 years..Some of the nastiest water out there, is campground water.I never use campground water..PERIOD..I use creek water with a Sawyer water filter,spring water right out of the hillside but never ever campground water..Did I mention campground water can kill you..LOL

I truly do not understand why anyone would buy an Rv and not use all the amnetties...Even a 40 gallon water bladder used for extra water has No taste if properly cleaned just prior to filling..

If you put bad water in a water tank,the water will be bad,if you put good water in a properly cleaned water tank,the water will be good..

Buying a used Rv is always a **** shoot for several things including how the water tank was taken care of..Even though the one I just bought was seldomly used, including the pooper,I have run hundreds of gallons of fresh water through it at home just to make sure and the taste is just as it it out of the "white" RV hose I fill with.No odor or unusual taste..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04