cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do my eyes deceive me?

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, We just came back from Florida and on I-95 going north in Georgia we saw in the distance a nice looking rig. When we got closer my jaw dropped when I saw how this large camper was secured to the truck. BLACK RUBBER SHOCK CORDS WITH THE SMALL HOOKS. There were 2 cords on the front and 1 on the back. It also looks to me that this camper spends more time on the truck than off. It had no legs. I'm sorry I could not take any pictures to share. The traffic was out of control. Bill
20 REPLIES 20

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
billyg wrote:
...BLACK RUBBER SHOCK CORDS WITH THE SMALL HOOKS. ....

These always work fine for me... until they don't :S
Just remember to replace them right before they break.

He should upgrade to the $.99 web straps with cam buckles from harbor freight!
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
HMS Beagle wrote:
Clearly he was old school. Everyone knows that zip ties are today's duct tape.

Zip Ties? Are you crazy? Those are expensive. Baling wire still rules. Everybody has that hanging around. I mean you gotta fix your fence anyway right?

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to a tow truck driver last night, said that he went to a call where a guy lost a next to new tuck camper off of his truck on a bridge of all places. He bungie corded the camper to the side lips of his box liner hahahahah

The guy said to the driver. "I don't understand how the weight didn't hold in in there"
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
You mean there are two of us? I used truck straps when I hauled my camper home after purchase. In fact all the way to Tx and back to Az.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Could it be the camper was bolted or secured to the truck and the bungee cords were added as a joke?
Even with gravity and friction doing most of the work, the wind, passing trucks and quick turns could easily remove the camper. :@

X2.
Back in the '60s and '70s when truck campers were the norm around here many folks including my self bolted the TC down through the floor. Some would add long tarp straps down the sides as a joke.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
He may also have velcro under it. It's good stuff

Plus a dab of JB Weld :B
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:

Today's homework:
How many zip ties do you have to string together to hold a TC on a truck?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I had a truck camper on a ford and I had to hook the fender to the camper so the fender wouldn't rattle in the wind.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
Youve probably been punked.it probably was bolted to the deck.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why he bothered with the bungees. Obviously, they aren't even needed to secure a TC, that TC would never fall off... :S
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I will admit I brought my first (used) TC home (8 miles) using a strap made to hold a boat on a trailer (it was a case of buy it now or someone else was getting it). But never with rubber straps.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.