cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY Bumper Support

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
My Arctic Fox 1150 has an aluminum bumper that flexes a lot when we step on it. I am a very big guy (think NFL lineman) and this thing is way too wimpy. It is starting to pull the siding apart at the bottom of the camper. I have been supporting it with various lengths of closet rod dowel, but would like something more permanent. I have three ideas so far and I am looking for feedback, examples, or other ideas.

1) A couple pieces of angle iron attached to the bottom of the camper that extend out to support the bumper.

2) An adjustable pole that mounts to the bumper and extends or retracts to match the height of the bumper.

3) A bar that extends across the back of the camer below the bumper that mounts to the jacks.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.
9 REPLIES 9

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
insp1505 wrote:
Here is how the new fox landing bumper attaches to the frame

Thanks for the pics. I think something like this is the most robust solution for the camper.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
A t-shaped tube inserted in the truck's receiver hitch can support the bumper while the camper is loaded on the truck and is an easy thing install.
I didn't think about it, but when the extension is in, the step actually fold down and sits on it, supporting the bumper. The simplest solution would be to just always have the extension in. :S

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
I added supports from bumper to rear jacks using bolted angle to bumper and fence clamps on the jacks.
Though I added to give side to side stability to jacks-tying them together thru bumper. The lower jack to camper mounts add virtually nothing for side to side-plus they are 2' from end of jacks.
This did firm up bumper flex a bit, as a side benefit. The bolted angle doesn't go all the way across, I didn't feel it needed to. 2 short pieces on either end.
If you wanted to go all they way across, Id use maybe aluminum angle to save the weight (& rust). The 'working' part is only ends stopping downward movement.
Other thought are rear stabilizers similar to our small jeep trailer. Used when unhitched. They fold down, then drop to ground. Mounting, height maybe problem-fine tuning, but simple. Just one example
http://www.etrailer.com/p-AT82297.html. Many styles of rear stabilizers.
Your mod is what I was thinking of and I was thinking of aluminum box tubing. The flip-down jacks were actually my first idea, but sometimes my bumper can be really high. Just last week I was in a horribly sloped campsite and the bumper was over 3 feet off the ground.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_Anderson wrote:
What about an angled bracket of some sort from the ends of the bumper, up to the jack mounts?
I like the simplicity of this idea, but I wonder how much the middle would still flex. I can probably test the idea by supporting the ends and testing the flex.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
A t-shaped tube inserted in the truck's receiver hitch can support the bumper while the camper is loaded on the truck and is an easy thing install.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
What about an angled bracket of some sort from the ends of the bumper, up to the jack mounts?

insp1505
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how the new fox landing bumper attaches to the frame

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I added supports from bumper to rear jacks using bolted angle to bumper and fence clamps on the jacks.

Though I added to give side to side stability to jacks-tying them together thru bumper. The lower jack to camper mounts add virtually nothing for side to side-plus they are 2' from end of jacks.
This did firm up bumper flex a bit, as a side benefit. The bolted angle doesn't go all the way across, I didn't feel it needed to. 2 short pieces on either end.
If you wanted to go all they way across, Id use maybe aluminum angle to save the weight (& rust). The 'working' part is only ends stopping downward movement.
Other thought are rear stabilizers similar to our small jeep trailer. Used when unhitched. They fold down, then drop to ground. Mounting, height maybe problem-fine tuning, but simple. Just one example
http://www.etrailer.com/p-AT82297.html. Many styles of rear stabilizers.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suppose it depends on the frame of the camper, but I'd try to support from the frame of the camper if possible. It sounds like your frame needs to be supported in any case. Perhaps Arctic Fox would have some ideas.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member