cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCUSSION: 8 ft + crew cab vs. SUV

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
#1. This is not a question; pretend we're having a beer by the campfire. The goal is fun discussion and sharing of experiences. People regurgitating "canned answers" and telling me I have to make the decision will be flamed. (mild sarcam).

I've towed a 30 & 32 ft TT for ~20 total years with 0.5-ton and 3/4-ton Suburbans (That's a great subject too). I'm thinking about switching to a pickup truck- and convinced I want a crew cab AND the 8-ft box. (Please don't SUGGEST the shorter box unless you have some stories to go with it. I get it that it's a compromise)

Of course, that will be less fun in tight, city areas, mall parking lots and will put a dent in my backing ability (which is OK)...

But all this does give me a tiny tinge of fear (not of bad things, but little things).

If anyone has similar (or perhaps the reverse) experience, I'd love to hear your thoughts, what you liked, what you disliked. (Again, the seating and heating are obvious changes...I want to hear THOUGHTS, not the obvious stuff.)

PS, apologies for sounding crabby...But, I'll give you one of the beers when someone chimes in WITH the same old obvious, canned responses. 🙂
27 REPLIES 27

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Went from a diesel Excursion to a 07 Duramax dually crew cab 8' bed.
In the end the biggest difference was the loss of passenger space.
The crew cab could never make up for the loss of passenger space.
Lacking passenger space occasionally forced us to take 2 vehicles or leave people behind.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back when my great-grandfather first saw a 4-door, long bed pickup. "Man! You can get this stuck in both ditches at the same time!" Of course his last pickup was half ton '51 Chevy.

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Changed from a Buick Enclave to an F-250 with long bed. 22 feet long, but able to go into parking ramps and parking lots. Good choice for towing with 48 gallon tank. Yes, when I fill up and pay the CA gas tax, I feel patriotic!
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
You will give up a row of seats. Is that a problem?

This is the key right here. If you don't need a third row, the pickup is a better value and you can get an HD model vs the currently available full size SUVs which are based (somewhat) on half ton platforms. Throw a pappy cap on the back if you need the cargo area out of the weather.

But if you need more than 5-6 seats there's no way to make that work in a pickup.

Strictly from a towing standpoint you'll be far better off with the HD pickup, even versus and older 3/4 ton SUV.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next truck will be a 1 ton (probably dually) longbed crew cab. I've got 3 kids and we want a 5th wheel for a cross country trip.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had it all and prefer 8ft bed, 4 doors, 2wd. Don't need 4wd as I don't do anything to need it. 4doors and 8ft bed just make it ride better. If you can't maneuver that, sorry.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
You will give up a row of seats. Is that a problem?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that a lot depends on whether your truck will be dedicated to towing the trailer or if it is also going to be used for other tasks. I just ran an errand to Home Depot and Walmart and was thinking how glad I was that I wasn't in a crew cab pickup with an 8ft bed. Even my crew cab with a 6.5ft bed feels cumbersome in parking lots. With trucks being so high these days reaching something in the front of an 8ft bet can be quite a challenge too.

I have been towing for 30+ years and can honestly say the Long Bed is so much better.

You will not notice a HUGE difference solo from a Short Box to a Long Box, other than a bit better ride with the Long Box because of the longer wheelbase..

What I like MOST is the fact that the LB can get the 48 gallon fuel tank.... That in itself is awesome for travelling . . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m missing the point here. OP you already hit it. Longer vehicle = longer turning radius and places it won’t fit or fit easily. That’s all. Nothing magic.
Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Over the 40+ years since I've been driving, I've had 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks and 1/2 and 3/4 ton Suburbans as well as a 1/2 ton Toyota Sequoia. I currently have 2 each 3/4 ton pickups with caps on them, 6.5' bed; an '09 Chebby and a 2019 F250. I tow a variety of non-RV bumper pull stuff. The 5th wheel days are behind me.

Were I to start again with the proverbial magic wand: Single Rear Wheel 350 / 3500 Pickup with a Cap, 4WD, most likely diesel, 8' bed; game time decision of either a bed slider or a "Decked" setup. I won't spend the money to replace what I have, but in this ideal world, the 350 / 3500 and the 8' bed provide convenience and capacity disproportional to the cost. In my experience, the extra length of 8' vs. 6.5' doesn't make it any more difficult to park.

Loved my 3/4 ton 'burb, but in the end, I "need" to haul fuel cans and other "stuff" that just doesn't work in enclosed, nice environment.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both,but I pull a fifth. I now have a short box, but I miss my long box. I know that it's only about 18" difference, but I notice the stability and the things that I can carry.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make this new crew cab a HD 35 series truck, and add a fifth wheel trailer. You'll wonder why you've been towing a TT the last 20 years.

Nothin wrong with crabby, just a product of getting older!

Jerry