cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Discount off MSRP

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our last RV at 65% of the MSRP. Ads are also at approx 65% of the MSRP. A salesman told me that Grand Design does not give much off the MSRP. Is this true or another salesmanโ€™s ploy to get more out of us?
13 REPLIES 13

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, got 30% off a low retail price on a GD 2019. I say low retail, cause I saw same camper priced very different. GD is a better product and service. Not just a marketing ploy. Good luck shopping.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Shop around, find the rig you want at the price that makes you happy
Makes a big difference what time of year you shop as well

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another GD owner who posted to this forum discussing the customer support he received after the warranty service/support further clearing the smoke others with no experience with the brand like to blow.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You will always get the better deal on stuff that's been sitting around for a long time. Belive it or not the dealer is making payments on everything they have. So the sooner they get rid of something the better off it is for them. And units sitting around for a long time are costing them the most money.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
As a person with actual experience with Grand Design, I got 30% off MSRP and a front bedroom AC installed. GD also worked with me and corrected an issue with my awning three months out of warranty. I had a very nice 30 minute conversation with the VP of customer service. I emailed him about the issue, included my VIN number. He called me back after getting my phone number from their records with the help of the VIN. I don't have any issues with any of the installed equipment and we really enjoy using it. The salesman who told you that was blowing smoke - like some forum posters here. Grand Design isn't the one your dealing with - it's the dealer who already owns the trailer or will own it and can get it a a specific price. If you have a General RV dealer in your vicinity, they are a high volume GD dealership and therefore can be dealt with.

The trick is to not be a buyer on your first visit to the dealership, and have them show you different models and brands. When your ready to deal, pull out your phone and calculate 30 - 35 percent off the MSRP on your phone - or whatever number your comfortable with. I did this and it was significantly lower than the number they put in front of me. I simply showed them my phone and said this is where I'm at - and when they asked if I would be a buyer at that number, we asked for a minute to discuss. When they came back, we told them we would buy at that number if they threw in a front AC with thermostat. They accepted, we bought. You just have to be ready to walk away - they will call you back.

If you are interested in GD, then check out their owners forum here. You can talk with actual owners of the model your interested in and get the pros and cons from them. Good luck and feel free to PM me.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
google that trailer and hunt the net for sold units see if one comes up. call the bank and see what loan value is.

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't for everyone and the selection is less but our last two trailers were new left overs. That's where you get some good discounts. The MSRP of our trailer now was almost 31k. The original dealer list price was 26k. We got it for 16,5k. At the time I found about 15 identical trailers around the country and this one was the third cheapest and it had a couple of upgrades that the other trailers didn't have.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever he is willing to give you. If inventory is turning over quickly then discounts will be harder to negotiate. If sales are slow the buyer is in the driver's seat. Sharpen your bargaining skills, go in prepared and be ready to walk. Remember, MSRP is a mythical starting point. No two dealers will be the same.

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
65% OF MSRP. Same as 35% OFF MSRP.
I still would like to know what discounts people have been offered on their purchase of a Grand Design. Thanks!

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:
LuckeyUs wrote:
We purchased our last RV at 65% of the MSRP. Ads are also at approx 65% of the MSRP. A salesman told me that Grand Design does not give much off the MSRP. Is this true or another salesmanโ€™s ploy to get more out of us?

65% off MSRP?

One letter makes a big difference. The OP is say at 65% OF MSRP or 35% OFF of MSRP.

Yea it does LOL. Never heard it talked about that way.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert Ackerman wrote:
LuckeyUs wrote:

65% off MSRP?

One letter makes a big difference. The OP is say at 65% OF MSRP or 35% OFF of MSRP.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
LuckeyUs wrote:

You purchased your last RV at 65% off MSRP?

There is nothing special about Grand Design, I'll be damned if I would pay a premium for one. Nothing more than a mass produced trailer made from the same materials and components as most all of the others, including a lot of Lippert stuff. Even the great factory service and support is going by the wayside after the purchase by Winnebago. They had plenty at the Hershey show already falling apart before they sold them. Hard to believe they put them on display that way but they had plenty of folks who could not see past the plastic bling and the LED mood lights.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
"Much off" is the key phrase... When a brand is popular like the Grand Designs are, then the MSRP and actual purchase price will be a lot closer together than a brand that the dealer needs to get off of the lot.

As in "I can give you 10% discount on this Grand Design or if you come over here I can give you 65% off of this XYZ brand"