cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Thermostat Cuts on AC During Freezing Weather

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. Last night, we had a deep freeze down here in South Texas. The freeze caused our electric service to *blink*. This happened about 5:00 am. When letting the dogs out an hour later, I heard my TT's AC unit running. I have an RV port and the TT was winterized but I keep it plugged in. Only way, that I can figure, for the AC to come on all by itself, is a glitch with the Dometic digital thermostat during electrical fluxes. Since we don't experience many freeze nights, hard to replicate. Anyone else had this happen?
On a side note, I was wondering if this harmed my AC unit, can't be good to have an AC running in 27 degree weather? (Not for sure if the compressor was running or just the fan.) As I don't really like the digital therm anyway,I'm considering replacing it with an old style analog one. If anyone has done this, easy job? Cheers........
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
11 REPLIES 11

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice "laramies", I'm going to contact Dometic ans see what they say.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

laramies
Explorer
Explorer
I've had problems with a Dometic digital thermostat where the buttons would go crazy. Press on and it would switch between fahrenheit and celsius. Go to adjust the temperature or switch between fan and heater or vice versa and the numbers would cause the temperature to take off up or down. This fall I read on another forum about problems they've had with these thermostats so I emailed Dometic and they sent me a new one. I haven't had a chance to install the new one but might be worth looking into.
Jim, Harleen, Jimmy, Joshua and Jessica
2017 Forest River Cherokee 304 BH
2018 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4x4
6th year as seasonal

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Cavie -- Just an A/C not heat.

Fan is set to auto.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback...
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If the fan is set to high or low, the air conditioner blower will come on with the furnace to circulate the air. Set the fan to auto to keep this from happening.
The hard part about replacing with analog is running thermostat wires.
-- Chris Bryant

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the tips.
Cavie: I want to change to an analog thermostat because the digital one is too sensitive. It's mounted in my hallway and every time we walk by we'll somehow change something, Probably just brushing it with our clothes or something. Its gotten to be a major PITA for us. However, since my original post, I've ordered one of those clear plastic thermostat covers and once installed, might just solve our problem.

Do you have straight cool or heat pump systems?
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dodge Guy. When I first got my present TT I set the thermostat to AUTO instead of simply Hot or Cold. When the heater came on, it would heat enough to turn on the air conditioner. Not talking about the auto setting for the fan, just the temp setting.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a auto T-stat. Maybe it got to it’s set warm temp and the ac kicked on to being the temp back down. Just a thought!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the tips.
Cavie: I want to change to an analog thermostat because the digital one is too sensitive. It's mounted in my hallway and every time we walk by we'll somehow change something, Probably just brushing it with our clothes or something. Its gotten to be a major PITA for us. However, since my original post, I've ordered one of those clear plastic thermostat covers and once installed, might just solve our problem.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
you are the very first person in 4 years that I have heard wanting to go Digital to Analog. Care to elaborate?
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
This is a longshot, but mine used to come on with the heater because the "differential" temperature was set to 1. The AC and heat would both come on. To "fix" it I had to set the differential to 3. This involved pressing the on button and up arrow at the same time (or something like that - sorry for the vagueness).
There is something special about camping in an RV.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Could it being turning on a heat pump or the optional electric heat function?