cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between Cruiser RV Shadow, MPG & Fun Finder?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the same basic model but they make it in 3 different versions & I wonder whats the difference?

I'm Figuring in Level of quality is Highest to lowest.

Fun Finder

MPG

Shadow Cruiser

?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
15 REPLIES 15

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up buying a 2018 Pioneer RL250 & bringing it home on Thursday
With '85 Lance.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we bought our Fun Finder in late 2011, the Shadow Cruisers did not have as much insulation as the Fun Finders did. Don't know if that is still true. We are very happy with our little FF -- we've towed it for about ten thousand miles each year, spending between 60 and 90 nights a year in it.

Unfortunately, they no longer make the smallest model. Ours is an X-139 (see signature), which means that the box is 139 inches long. Less than 12 feet! Great for two people, as long as one of them is very small and both are very friendly. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

babs75
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting ready to purchase the MPG 2120RB. Saw it at the RV show last weekend. Sold our other RV last night. They're picking up tonight. It's just my husband and I so we're downsizing. Never used our couch in the last RV so we decided to do without one this time and go for more kitchen space. We don't watch a lot of TV except in the evening. We're usually outside.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
At this point I'm really learning towards this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8wJlwg4wg

But then again it might be 6 months before I actually buy?

I notice that this floorplan does not have a sofa. I recommend that you find this model and sit at the dinette for an extended period. Bring a book or magazine and judge if the dinette is comfortable enough to sit on for an extended time like watching TV etc. We found most dinettes to be uncomfortable for for extended sitting.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blanco1 wrote:

First, be sure you can get into the bathroom, into the fridge, and the bed with the slides in (bonus if you can cook too).

I never really planned to cook in the trailer with the slide in but a 5 hour ER detour meant it was great to be able to give everyone a hot meal while we waited. (Just the emergency Ramen rations but better than the nothing that was available at the rural hospital in BFE Utah)

If you have somewhere to store the trailer and have the money you can save about 10% by buying now instead of in the spring. Plus if you can do a shakedown trip or two now you can be in line for shop time for any needed repairs before they start filling up with all the problems from the spring sales.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer

With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. MPG means little in comparison.

I suspect, you don't realize MPG is one of their models.

The same floor plan is available in all 3 models!

But I'm at this point 90% sure this will be our floor plan.
With '85 Lance.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
TheHound wrote:
Smaller Cruiser models are on my short list and I am not seeing much difference in the options listed, at least on the website.

Fun Finder has:
30lb LP tanks
Solid surface countertops
Battery disconnect
King bed (some models)

Otherwise identical. I've noticed too that Shadow Cruiser offers a murphy bed which FF doesn't on the same model. Shame, as I am leaning toward a murphy bed layout but would like the larger propane bottles and higher quality counter tops.

Be aware the the Murphy bed takes up a significant amount of your front storage compartment.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. MPG means little in comparison.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
While it was talking to the manufacturer , I learned the MPG has a king size as does the shadow cruiser, but the fun finder has a queen.

We as a couple are use to a queen & don't need more.
So I was telling him I'd prefer more cabinet space next to the bed with more walk around room than the bigger bed.

& so he told me the FF has a queen & nicer counter tops, but...... You lose living room space because for some strange reason they made the side smaller & so the fridge is no longer in the slide out.

So if you want more around the bed space you lose living room space.
Seems silly to me?

I think I would prefer the space in the living area being we have a 100 lb dog.
With '85 Lance.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
TheHound wrote:
Smaller Cruiser models are on my short list and I am not seeing much difference in the options listed, at least on the website.

Fun Finder has:
30lb LP tanks
Battery disconnect
King bed (some models)

Otherwise identical. I've noticed too that Shadow Cruiser offers a murphy bed which FF doesn't on the same model. Shame, as I am leaning toward a murphy bed layout but would like the larger propane bottles and higher quality counter tops.

A pair of 30lb propane bottles are a whole $130, definitely not worth paying more for a trailer over. The countertop is a personal call, with the amount of time we spend in our trailer there's no way I would have wanted to pay for that kind of an upgrade, if I was fulltiming it would be a different story.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer

Fun Finder has:
30lb LP tanks
Battery disconnect
King bed (some models)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Shadow Cruiser.

A used car dealer had a 2011 Fun Cruiser, I went over it and found only small differences.

(2) 30# Propane vs, 20#
Hitch was a cast jaw type vs, pressed steel
Dexter EZ-Flex suspension equalizer vs. Solid cast one.
And yes a couple more cabinet doors, same storage just more access.

Quality was the same, FF needed some seams reseal ed (roof/front cap)

Worth price difference for a new one, IMO not worth the increased $$$$

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my Fun Finder in the spring of 2010 (it's 2011 model), the Fun Finder appeared to be above the Shadow Cruiser. I don't think the MPG had been introduced yet. I believe the difference in models is more in the detail than the overall quality. For example my Fun Finder has a front window and several more drawers than the Shadow Cruiser. So my advice is to study the details carefully and pick the one you like best.