cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
NO surprise.

Too much emissions BS and regen.
This one is emissions **** free - Turbo bk.....now sitting at 561,650 km...~ 345,000 miles..running perfect. Best **** vehicle I ever owned in my 67 yrs on this earth..!!
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
eshaunmichael wrote:
I have a 2005 LLY duramax towing a 13,000 solitude fifth wheel. I get between 11-12 towing between 65 and 70 mph, And I'm not full of sh____ lol

I have a L5P, From what I have read the LLY gets better mpg
Hitch

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Yea...06 GMC D'Max...I get similar mileage at this speeds,as well...maybe a bit less even as I go from Calgary to Central BC driving through the Canadian Rockies.

Usually to the Shushwap area - God's Country and a lake with an 1100 Mike coast line - Crystal clear water and in Aug, water temps in the mid 70's..best summer place in this whole messed uo gender bent progressive country..!!

Cheers
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

eshaunmichael
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 LLY duramax towing a 13,000 solitude fifth wheel. I get between 11-12 towing between 65 and 70 mph, And I'm not full of sh____ lol
2005 Silverado Duramax
2015 Solitude

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch Itch wrote:
I couldnt drive 60 mph that would drive me nuts never mind others on the road behind just pissed right off that Im doing 60 mph in a 70mph highway

I find it easy to tow slower than everyone flying around at 75-80 on the highways. I just set the cruise at 55-60 and let everyone pass.

No need to worry about constantly slowing down for slow cars (since I'm the slow one), then speeding up again. Or planning passes with the trailer in tow.

I just cruise until we get there or need to take a break. With a 42G tank, even at gasser mileage I'm ready for a break before we get to low on gas.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hitch Itch wrote:
I couldnt drive 60 mph that would drive me nuts never mind others on the road behind just pissed right off that Im doing 60 mph in a 70mph highway

Well I guess itโ€™s going to be low mpg for you. Price ya pay.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I just got back from a 800 mile round trip with the 5er and only managed to average 8.6mpg @75 mph in Pa and NY."

I guarantee if you slowed to 60 you would be over 10mpg.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch Itch wrote:
Others have stated they get 12+ mpg towing large fifth wheels is what I was expecting. This is my first diesel so I only went by what others posted. Obvisouly they are full of ****. I just got back from a 800 mile round trip with the 5er and only managed to average 8.6mpg @75 mph in Pa and NY.

Have you tried 80mph?

Are there 75mph highways in New York?

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:

If it makes you feel any better a 2 MPG gain over 7 MPG is a 28.5% improvement. OTOH, do not do the math to figure out how many towing miles until you've made up the cost premium.

Best regards,
Chris

25-30% is what I figured diesel gets over gas so it appears he has a good increase to me, but on the other hand he drives with a heavy foot at 75mph.

No need to figure out the math to figure out making up the cost difference. That's like figuring out the math for buying a top trim package, I bought mine more for less stressful towing and not for making up $$ at the pump. Some people like leather, air conditioned seats, and 15 cameras, I don't really care about those things but I like a comfortable towing experience. How to you put a price creature comforts? I paid a lot less for my truck than a top trim package in a gasser. Their isn't a right or wrong way it's just what you prefer while staying within your budget.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hitch Itch wrote:
Others have stated they get 12+ mpg towing large fifth wheels is what I was expecting. This is my first diesel so I only went by what others posted. Obvisouly they are full of ****. I just got back from a 800 mile round trip with the 5er and only managed to average 8.6mpg @75 mph in Pa and NY.

:S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch Itch wrote:
This is what I get with truck in my signature, I get between 11-13 mpg towing my mid profile 10,700# loaded fifth wheel. I also tow at 65mph, your killing your mpg going that fast not to mention I hope your tires are rated for that. Your truck may get less also as it seems the more powerful they get the less mpg they get. I know my current truck gets less than my old 2004 duramax.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
14K 5W with a F350 SRW 6.7, thousands of miles with about 1000 mile range and gas buddy phone app. I can look miles ahead and plans fuel stops, topped off everything yesterday in Deming NM @ 2.82 a gallon. 80 gallon L tank, keeps weight low and truck tank gives me over 1K to find fuel.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch Itch wrote:
I bought my first 2018 duramax, always pulled our 13k 5er with a 6.0 gasser, no real issues other then it was always at about 3k rpm now with the duramax its always around 1800-2000rpm. I am Very dissapointed in the mpg tho, the gasser would always get 7mpg and the duramax only gets 9 mpg, I was expecting far more then a 2 mpg gain for the additional $10k I spent

If it makes you feel any better a 2 MPG gain over 7 MPG is a 28.5% improvement. OTOH, do not do the math to figure out how many towing miles until you've made up the cost premium.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package