cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

rsh_757
Explorer
Explorer
I like my money as much as the next guy, but I am not quitting a diesel in lieu of a gas rig just because fuel prices are higher. I never bought into the old "it will save me money" deal anyways. I just like the way it works as a truck engine. I have a Honda for anything else.
2008 Cougar 310SRX 5th Wheel
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 CTD
2008 Nissan Armada LE

PSDExcursion
Explorer
Explorer
Area diesel fuel prices continued to climb on Tuesday, reaching record high levels in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey, AAA Mid-Atlantic reported.

The current average price per gallon for diesel is at a record $4.27 in the five-county Philadelphia region, $4.25 statewide in Pennsylvania, $4.11 in Delaware and $4.02 statewide in New Jersey, including South Jersey.

The average price per gallon for regular unleaded gas edged up by a penny overnight in the five-county Philadelphia region and statewide in New Jersey to $3.23 and $3.06, respectively. Prices remained unchanged statewide in Pennsylvania ($3.27), Delaware ($3.20) and South Jersey ($3.04.)

Diesel fuel prices continue to rise

michaelkkirk
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use this web site to track the price of Diesel.?

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
gm seller wrote:
I paid $3.43 a gallon for gas today and Diesel fuel is at $4.09 none of the new Diesel trucks get good enough mileage to make up for that.
Actually, this isn't true. I've owned and operated both and would still see a fuel savings at the prices you are quoting. However, diesel prices sure are sky-high right now.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

djdave33
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel fuel in my area is at least a $1.00 more a gallon. I have 2 diesel pickups but honestly unless you really tow heavy or just want a diesel to have one.. it may be better to just go with a gas engine.. just go SLOWER and use a LITTLE more fuel..

gm_seller
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $3.43 a gallon for gas today and Diesel fuel is at $4.09 none of the new Diesel trucks get good enough mileage to make up for that. I would also tell you the resale value for any Diesel truck is not very good right now in our area. We have people trying to trade them in left and right trying to save costs and no one is buying the used ones so they sit around on the lots. Since they they don't sell we don't give you the big trade in money anymore. To be fair here the truck market in general is poor in our area because of fuel prices but the diesel market is taking the biggest hit.
2006 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 8.1 with 6 speed allison
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
Myself, Darling wife Lisa
Laura 21,Sara 18
3 Jack Russell's
Jack & Rusty & Tobey

PSDExcursion
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my 2003 PSD Excursion last fall before the big diesel price hike and just purchased a 2002 Chevy Express 8.1 155" wb passenger van and paid $2.99 today for reg unl and diesel was $3.95. I don't miss the diesel at all now since the 8.1 runs fantastic.

forwardho
Explorer
Explorer
I like the smell of Diesel fuel.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually - AKA Blue Thunder
Quad Cab SLT 5.9L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
48RE Trans w/Mag-Hytec DD Pan @ Temp Gauge
18K Hitch
50 Gallon Auxillary Fuel Tank
Viper Security System

2003 35' Cardinal Fifth Wheel--AKA Motel 9

forwardho

H20view
Explorer
Explorer
I just upgraded from a 1/2 ton and a TT to a Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad cab diesel and a 5th wheel. Curious if anyone has a similar set up and how the truck performs. I'm getting ready for a trip from VA to FL (Fort Wilderness in Disney).
'07 Dodge 2500 4x4 quadcab cummins diesel
'07 34' Cruiser 5th Wheel

mopp4
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 06/21/04 10:24pm
ilovetocamp wrote:
Paying $1.55 a gallon for diesel and getting over 20mpg.

Those prices make me nauseated
2008 Wildcat 32QBBS
2006 2500 Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 CTD
Do not click this link

AntiqFreq
Explorer
Explorer
I sure wish diesel only costs $.20 cents more than regular gas here.

Our regular today is $3.25 and diesel is $3.75...........= $.50 cents more.

And it will only get worse! but, I still love my diesel!!

Jo
2007 Keystone Cougar, 291 RLS
2003 Ford F250, 7.3L, Lariat, CC, SB, 4x4
Isspro Gauges-overhead mount, 14K Pullrite Superglide
Firestone RideRite airbags & pressure gauge
Two Honda eu2000i generators, parallel kit
Bell Morningstar Canoe, bent shaft paddles

tr4petty
Explorer
Explorer
After owning both gas and diesel pickups over the years, I'll take diesel anyday. Better fuel mileage (about %35 better, more than makes up for difference in fuel prices), much more torque, longevity (there are Dodge diesels like mine out there with a million miles on them!), better resale at trade-in (makes up for higher initial cost), more torque (tows my 5th wheel without even breathing hard), more torque, and did I mention more torque?
TR4Petty

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
bluenote wrote:
hawkeye-08 wrote:
With the higher upfront costs, higher fuel per gallon fuel costs (hopefully the mileage is better than a gas engine) and higher maintenance costs, face it, a diesel powered pickup/SUV is going to cost more to operate than a gas rig.
I've owned and operated both and what you are saying is not accurate.

Here are the facts....

Higher upfront cost - Yes, but making this statement without acknowledging the higher resale value down the road conveniently ignores part of the truth. Do an Edmunds, or KBB search for similarly equipped used trucks and you will see significantly higher trade-in/resale prices for diesel engines.

Higher fuel costs - While this is unfortunately true throughout the country now, it is not as much of a spread as you are claiming everywhere. We are seeing about a 20ยข difference in my area right now. However, for the sake of argument, I'll use your price difference, with my actual experience (I previously owned a pickup with a big block gasser and now own the diesel pickup in my signature. I've pulled the same 5er with both, driven the same routes locally and have the same driving habits with both trucks)...
Big Block empty - 12 mpg average (combined city/highway)
Diesel emtpy - 18 mpg average (combined city/highway)
Big Block towing - 8 mpg average
Diesel towing - 11 mpg average
If you were to figure $3/gallon for gas and $3.60/gallon for diesel, it would cost me $250 for the gasser and $200 for the diesel to drive 1000 miles emtpy. It would cost me $375 for the gasser and $327 for the diesel towing the same distance. If you were to use the 20ยข difference in fuel costs in my area, the diesel savings would obviously be even higher.

Higher maintenance costs - This always gets brought up during the discussion and I've found it to be flat out wrong. It costs me about $5 - $10 more per oil change with my diesel than the big block. However, since the recommended oil change interval is significantly higher with the diesel, it is actually less per year for diesel oil changes. I do have a higher cost for fuel filter changes, but that is easily offset by the oil change savings. All other components on my truck require the same maintenance, so there are no other differences.

Face it, the diesel can still cost less to own and operate than a similarly equipped gasser for many people.

30% + better fuel mileage with a diesel. Me thinks he needs to lay off the peace pipe!

rsh_757
Explorer
Explorer
I bet I have said this in this thread before. I don't care how much diesel costs, it works SWEEEEEEET no matter what you are pulling. Today's diesel is a different animal, it isn't just for towing heavy anymore.
2008 Cougar 310SRX 5th Wheel
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 CTD
2008 Nissan Armada LE

colorado_carava
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Bluenote, now I am no math whiz but when I can brew biodiesel for around 90 cents a gallon and need no additional modifications to my rig. It sure does seem like the diesel is the way to go. I also want to add that when this war winds down the diesel prices should drop.
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD ECSB Duramax
1994 Dutchman Classic 24'
DH Steve DW Randi
Best boy in the world, Cody:B
The Fleabags, Radish and Sedona
The Mousers, Cactus and Canyon