cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

jcramin
Explorer
Explorer
I drive gassers because I like the speed and acceleration of a gas engine yes I keep hearing well use a programmer on a diesel and it will out perform a HEMI. Well aint that like comparing apples and oranges. What if I also use a programmer on the HEMI ? I only tow once or twice a month and only tow around a 5000 lbs trailer. SO I use a gas 2500. If i was going to keep a truck over 200,000 miles the cost of a diesel would pay for itself but since I dont plan on keeping the truck that long the HEMI is cheaper. PLUS much more fun for the price. Yea you can get a deisel to be fun to drive if you wana pay the extra $5500 for the engine then another few grand for exhaust and programmers and stuff. Now buy the HEMI and put $8000 into and see what you got.. MORE FUN..

I just HEMI for an example cause I have one.

J
2007 Weekend Warrior FS2500
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4X4 HEMI

Wizard7530
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford a diesel you will like it. Few ever post they are sorry they went diesel. My wife loves our F250 2002 7.3L PSD. So do I. It pulls so well and at low rpm. You can do cost-benefit analysis and you can change the asumptions to show a gasser or diesel might be best in your situation. But it is hard to put a dollar figure on satisfaction. The F250 psd we have is such a pleasure that we just wouldn't get from a gasser. But why believe me? Why not go camping in your nearby state park and talk to people about their tow vehickle. [sp?] Then make your decision.

good luck and happy camping

fitbykes147
Explorer
Explorer
i drive gassers, but i like diesels just cant afford one ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
2000 tahoe LT 5.3, 3;73 tow package
2000 27' jb enterprises flatbed

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Haapy Trails wrote:
The bigest thing with diesel is getting fuel off the interstates.

This is becoming less of an issue all the time. Many stations now carry diesel. Your best bet is still to fill at high volume stations, such as truck stops, but you can still get quality diesel in many areas (even in a lot of out-of-the-way places).
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Hap_Trails
Explorer
Explorer
The bigest thing with diesel is getting fuel off the interstates.

JThiessen
Explorer
Explorer
Ya'll ever seen a diesel with propane injection? Its like a gasser on Nitrous. Heat control becomes an issue though.
2005 Keystone Laredo 29LR
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins assisted by Edge, AFE, and Banks

ArcticDodge
Explorer
Explorer
Old TV was 95 K1500 got 9 towing and 14 running around.
New TV listed below gets 11.5 towing and 15 running around.

Diesel in Issaquah is 2.65

Even though gas mileage is rather close. Towing with the diesel is much easier. It powers over inclines, much more stable, bigger fuel tank so I get go to Lake Wenatchee and back on one tank.
The difference between the trucks has been night and day and I am very happy with my choice.
2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife :W 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

messer
Explorer
Explorer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have A 2002 F350 Dully 4x4 with A 410 rearend Mileage is 09 miles
per gallons pullung 14000 fifth wheels 13 to 15 empty.
What can I can I improve this Thank
Momeing through Texas robber roof tore.Hade A new replacet in Texas. What kind of warranty on A 2002 everest 34ft Bert

Momeing through Texas robber roof tore.Hade A new replacet in Texas. What kind of warranty on A 2002 everest 34ft Bert

VicT
Explorer
Explorer
Patster This sure sounds like an option that I will look into further. Mind telling me about what the conversion cost was. Fell free to send me a private email if you prefer to keep this out of the public venue. Thanks again.
Grandpa of 3.5 Father of 2 Husband of 1
21' Trail Cruiser Ultra Lite
2004 Nissan Titan
2005 Suzuki KingQuad

Patster
Explorer
Explorer
Vict
My tank is a 60 gal propane tank mounted in the box, it measures 20x60". On a full tank of propane I can go around 850km to 950km depending on idling, cold weather and how heavy my foot feels. My driving consist of 75% in town during the winter and 50/50 durng the summer. As for availability, with a little pre planing you can find it most places. If you plan a trip to the US check out this site, Alternate Fuel Station Locator (http//afdcmap.nrel.gov/locator/LocatePane.asp). You can map a route or enter a city and it will find the stations with the alternate fuel of your choice. Looking at the data it seems in the US just about any U-Hall dealer sells propane. In Canada you can get info from CAA, I think. Price wise propane is $.20 to $.30 per litre cheaper than gas. Big cities with fleets on propane you will find it cheaper than in rual areas. There are also various tank options as well. Talk to a conversion shop in your area, there are a couple in Calgary. I cannot recommend any because I don't know them personally but I can speek to someone who might be able to. As for gasoline, my tank lasts about 8 or 9 weeks. I never let it get empty. I figure that that it costs less to run my truck on propane than a simular truck on deisel, without taking into account the price difference between the trucks. I hanen't tried it yet but based on my fuel capacity I could travel 1300km easy before looking for fuel. Anyway I'll do some checking and get back in a few days about shops in your area.

VicT
Explorer
Explorer
Patster, Thanks for those comments, Do you find Propane easily available, Does it save you much in daily driving,How far can you get on a full tank of fuel Gas & Propane. Where did you mount the propane tank? Lots of questions but the option you talked about has me intrigued.
2004 Nissan Titan
2005 Suzuki KingQuad

Patster
Explorer
Explorer
To Mr Vic T
Last year I bought a gently used 2002 Chev 3500 crew cab dually with the 8.1 with the Allison. I must say it is great truck. Lots of folks with deisels say what great millage they get and will tell you at times unrealistic numbers. I get empty 13.5mpg on the hwy at 70 to 80 mph, in town 8.5 to 9mpg. Towing my boat, millage is almost unaffected. For operating savings I installed a propane fuel system. Before anyone says" yuck! propane" let me say this is not one of those crappy carb systems of the past but an actual vapour injection system that works in conjuntion with the trucks computer. Operation is seemless, the truck starts on gas and once it warms switches to propane without you even noticing. Performance is identical and fuel millage within 5% of your gas figures. Its not cheep but cost less than the deisel option. Its made by a company in B.C and sold and serviced across Canada and the US. Propane is not practal for everyone but I thought I would pass along to you my experiences. Even if you keep your truck on gas you wont be disappionted. Let me finish by saying I am a profesional deisel mechanic with 15 years experience, I don't want to smell or hear one on my own time. Enjoy.

SoCalLifted
Explorer
Explorer
thiswebs4u wrote:
1999 F-250 SuperCab short bed 4x4 (Gasser)
Equipment
XLT
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
AM/FM Stereo
Consumer Rated Condition: Good
Private Party Value - $10,610

1999 F-250 SuperCab short bed 4x4 (Diesel)
Equipment
XLT
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
AM/FM Stereo
Private Party Value - $15,140

Whoo I only lost ~500

This is straight from Kelly blue book 5.4L gasser vs the 7.3L Diesel with 100K on them.

Don't believe anything you read. Go to kelly blue book and do it for your self.

You have to ask yourself, where is my 5k? :?

Do the same comparison with the v10 instead of the 5.4, that is like putting a lightweight against Tyson. My truck unfortuantly gets about 10-11mpg pulling, but will change a small bit once i get full intake, exhaust and chip... I dont know about chevy's or Dodge, but the biggest differnce between the 7.3 and V10 in fords, is: v10 has more torque stock, 7.3 has more HP, 7.3 gets a couple of gallons better mpg, but here in southern Ca, Diesel is more expensive, I wanted to get the 6.0 diesel, but a guy was sellin his truck for 25k with 25000 miles and lift, stereo, tires and wheel are already done. (about 10k in upgrades) couldnt pass that up. But pulling my Lil trailer, with 70gal of fuel, 100 gal of water, 2 dirtbikes, a quad, and a harley, you can not feel that it is there.... untill you get to the gas station and see the 2.53 gallon sign =P

That was my 2 cents, sorry for the book ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

VicT
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching this forum and others as I try to decide what I want to do. I recently underwent bypass surgery and this has dictated some livestyle changes. I have basicly made my decision but now I need some help in fine tuning it. I am going to sell my Class A sell my BMW toad and purchase a midsize mid profile 5th wheel with the intent of spending 3 or 4 mths per year in the warmer cliamte. The 5th wheel I have picked with a great deal of input from my wife is a 285RG Sandpiper made by Forestriver from RVwholesalers. Dry wieght is 7850 lbs with GVWR of 11620lbs, hitch wieght is 1460lbs. Now the truck, My wife says the truck is up to me, until I mentioned that a diesel was probably best because we live near the mountians and this and other forums seem to feel they are best for towing. Connie had some strong opinions about Diesels, she is very annoyed when people in campgrounds or nieghbors here in the city start thier noisy, smelly machines at inappropriate hours. She feels anyone starting a diesel has disrespect for thier niegbours to the same degree as people who run thier generators all night. She also reminded me of back in the 80's when I had a GM 6litre diesel for hauling our horses around. I swore I would never own a diesel again because you had to plug it in to start in our cold climate and because twice it left me stranded on the side of the road with frozen water in the fuel lines. This never happened with any of my gas trucks. Her quote "we are not going to save a few bucks on mileage and iratate every nieghbour we have in the campground"

So with that said I am on the hunt for a slightly used under 40,000 miles Big Block gas 2500 series truck. Based on what I have read here the best choice seems to be a GM product with the 8.1 litre engine installed with an allison transmission. That is what I am currently looking for and there seem to be several available. I am not going to take the plunge until my Motorhome sells so I have some time to hunt. In the meantime I would welcome sugestions from you experienced towers keeping in mind that life is to short to try a diesel after the wife of 35 years has such strong opinions. I am not brand loyal and any good Gas truck that you think will do the job for me I will consider. Thanks for any input.
2004 Nissan Titan
2005 Suzuki KingQuad

thiswebs4u
Explorer
Explorer
1999 F-250 SuperCab short bed 4x4 (Gasser)
Equipment
XLT
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
AM/FM Stereo
Private Party Value - $10,610

1999 F-250 SuperCab short bed 4x4 (Diesel)
Equipment
XLT
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
AM/FM Stereo
Private Party Value - $15,140

Whoo I only lost ~500

This is straight from Kelly blue book 5.4L gasser vs the 7.3L Diesel with 100K on them.

Don't believe anything you read. Go to kelly blue book and do it for your self.

You have to ask yourself, where is my 5k? :?
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed Dually Aisin 3.73
Max Payload 5610.00LBS Max Towing 24940.0LB oh and 385 hp, 930 lb-ft
2018 Keystone Fusion 427
2002 Lance 1121 Truck Camper