cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

A diesel truck owner's battle with the state of New Jersey is leading to the scrapyard. Mike Sebold initially received a letter from the state's Department of Environmental Protection after listing his modified 2008 Ram 2500 on Facebook Marketplace. Officials took issue with the pickup's deleted emissions equipment and, in turn, told Sebold his truck must be returned to stock or taken off the road. But even after he turned in his plates, Sebold claims they've forced him to make an appointment with the crusher.

The Drive

Diesel Tuner Faces Year in Prison for Violating the Clean Air Act

The DOJ hit the founder of Spartan Diesel Technologies with one year and one day behind bars for selling emission defeat devices. That's on top of two million-dollar fines.

Road and Track
65 REPLIES 65

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I just ran into something close to this at work. We got a truck from one of our other dealers for a possible trans issue. They took it in on trade and sold it not knowing it had an issue. Well it turns out it’s been, lifted, deleted, tuned, Def tank removed as well as DPF and catalyst. I told them to just wholesale it and be done with it! It will be a problem later on when the customer has to have it tested and they found out we sold it like that! It will cost too much for us to make it stock. Best to sell it in an area where they don’t have inspections and the buyer won’t care!

Excuse me for finding it hard to believe a dealer would not find any of all that stuff when doing a trade in valuation.

Any time I ever let one value a trade within minutes they could tell me where every single scratch or paint chip was, tires needed replaced as they had put a micrometer on the tread depth, and knew the bumper end cap was replaced with an aftermarket part after a run in with a groundhog. They could also tell I smoked a cigarette in it once on the way home from buying it 5 years earlier. They could not see the DEF tank was gone? Lol. I think your employer needs to fire whoever approved that one immediatly.

I don’t know, but places take in any trade, but this one should’ve went right to wholesale. But I went to fill it with diesel because it was on E and I think that is the problem with the truck it was running out of fuel on acceleration. Well the 1/2 of what I put in runs on the ground.
This was from another dealer, some places have people up front that don’t know a thing about cars, even though they sell them!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
DELETED

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I just ran into something close to this at work. We got a truck from one of our other dealers for a possible trans issue. They took it in on trade and sold it not knowing it had an issue. Well it turns out it’s been, lifted, deleted, tuned, Def tank removed as well as DPF and catalyst. I told them to just wholesale it and be done with it! It will be a problem later on when the customer has to have it tested and they found out we sold it like that! It will cost too much for us to make it stock. Best to sell it in an area where they don’t have inspections and the buyer won’t care!

Excuse me for finding it hard to believe a dealer would not find any of all that stuff when doing a trade in valuation.

Any time I ever let one value a trade within minutes they could tell me where every single scratch or paint chip was, tires needed replaced as they had put a micrometer on the tread depth, and knew the bumper end cap was replaced with an aftermarket part after a run in with a groundhog. They could also tell I smoked a cigarette in it once on the way home from buying it 5 years earlier. They could not see the DEF tank was gone? Lol. I think your employer needs to fire whoever approved that one immediatly.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Honestly, he's probably being used to "make an example" but he did it on purpose, so he doesn't get much sympathy.

Yeah ask my step-son about being a "make an example"!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
Even if there is some "VIN database" there would be nothing stopping the new owner if it is sold in a state where they don't do emissions inspections.

I believe most states require the title and registration to be cleared and removed from the prior state (not sure of the legal terminology). I ran into an issue with a typo on a title from another state and my state wouldn't touch it until it was sorted with the original state. So if NJ flags the vin/title, getting it titled/registered in a new state may be problematic if NJ says there a problem with the truck.

Also, there is the issue of getting caught. It's one thing to play dumb that you didn't realize it was illegal to delete the truck. But now that you've been cited and told to fix it, you can expect the charges to be escalated if you purposely try to circumvent the ruling by selling it in another state still deleted.

Honestly, he's probably being used to "make an example" but he did it on purpose, so he doesn't get much sympathy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:

On September 25, a group of cyclists riding near Waller, Texas, were hit by a Ford Super Duty driven by a 16-year old youth. Reports from witnesses indicated the driver had been "rolling coal" on the group immediately prior to striking six cyclists, four of whom were hospitalized due to injuries sustained. Now, news out of Texas is that the teen driver is finally in custody according to the District Attorney of Waller County, over a month after the incident occurred.

Today, the district attorney filed six felony charges of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon against the juvenile driver, corresponding to each of the six cyclists that was injured. The 16-year old voluntarily surrendered to authorities, and was taken into custody by the juvenile justice department.

The Drive

I remember hearing about that last year. Is the driver the same guy trying to sell the truck in the beginning of this thread?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
How can a New Jersey bureaucrat demand a vehicle be destroyed? Doesn't that require a court order from a judge and such? I mean, the owner still has Constitutional rights to his personal property. Perhaps he needs an attorney.

Update: I just read that he crushed his truck a few days ago. Apparently the bureaucrats in New Jersey's Department of Environmental Protection (the global warming crowd) have the power to separate you from your personal property.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shelbyfv wrote:
That 16 year old reprobate was probably enabled by an "adult" who never grew up ....

Shoot....I still roll coal (well, new truck wont), roast tires, drive fast cars, jump my snomachine off of cornices and even drink whiskey straight outta the bottle occasionally.

And last I checked, I'm pretty sure my daily level of responsibility that I've maintained for the last 30 + years since legally becoming an adult qualify me as being quite responsible and "grown up."

It's too bad that your life has apparently not been nearly as exciting... Hopefully you've gotten everything out of it that you've wanted so far.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
That 16 year old reprobate was probably enabled by an "adult" who never grew up ....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
8.1 Van wrote:

On September 25, a group of cyclists riding near Waller, Texas, were hit by a Ford Super Duty driven by a 16-year old youth. Reports from witnesses indicated the driver had been "rolling coal" on the group immediately prior to striking six cyclists, four of whom were hospitalized due to injuries sustained. Now, news out of Texas is that the teen driver is finally in custody according to the District Attorney of Waller County, over a month after the incident occurred.

Today, the district attorney filed six felony charges of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon against the juvenile driver, corresponding to each of the six cyclists that was injured. The 16-year old voluntarily surrendered to authorities, and was taken into custody by the juvenile justice department.

The Drive

Must be a Ford thing...
Mustangs are bystander magnets too. lol
Oh and I can't say what I really think about how weird or twisted your thought process is. I can only hope you're so bored that your "contributions" here are just for personal entertainment that you might be otherwise lacking...

PS, my coal rolling truck (it actually doesn't roll coal even though deleted and tuned) ended up looking just like that one after it saved my wife from injury while running over an intoxicated, hit and run, tweaker's vehicle last week. Just wish my kid (who was driving) and wife didn't have to experience that and wish I didn't have to deal with fixing our truck....

About as irrelevant to the discussion as yours was, except in this case "Diesel dun good"....

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

The Drive

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

As much as you would hope Creepy Joe and the rest of the govt is able to monitor and control your life, fortunately it hasn't come to that yet...

But I'm sure as a truck driver and self proclaimed mechanic, you've "never" turned up the pump on a mechanical diesel, or in any way modified anything you've ever driven that would make it 1 bit less "safe" for the environment or anything else.

As for turning up the pump, Yes, I have done that, and going back decades. But does replacing the 55 injectors with 70s, adding turbos to the buzzin dozen add more pollution? (Got about half MPG better running meat from Ks to east coast, so I doubt it) When I bought my last truck, the 3406E was factory set at 475, but was do for overhaul. When I took it in, I handed the Cat shop the EMC off the wrecked 1, that was factory set to 600. The shop warned me about the transmission not rated for that much torque so cut back to 575. (Still had to watch trans temp if approach WFO in overdrive.) Plus I set NTC Cummins to the most I could depending on turbo/intercooler. But 1 major difference IMHO; The production dates where between '67 and '95. They complied with all emission regulations at the time!
BTW, I did retrofit PCV to a '56 Old, '57 Caddy, and several pre-'63 Fords and Chevys, which I'm sure did reduce pollution compared to the factory installed road draft tube.

Atta boy! I knew you were a gear head at heart!
And no criticism from me for you being a “responsible” person with respect to what you wrote above.
BUT, and this will be hard to admit, when you were a gear jammin trucker back in the day makin the wheels spin faster to put more meat on the table, I’ll go out on a limb and say that you would have done what it took to protect your interest if you had a truck sitting on the side of the road waiting for some repair to an issue that was seriously affecting YOUR bottom line and the fix was a die grinder and a programmer.
ICBW but I bet your views have become more altruistic since then…

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

As much as you would hope Creepy Joe and the rest of the govt is able to monitor and control your life, fortunately it hasn't come to that yet...

But I'm sure as a truck driver and self proclaimed mechanic, you've "never" turned up the pump on a mechanical diesel, or in any way modified anything you've ever driven that would make it 1 bit less "safe" for the environment or anything else.

As for turning up the pump, Yes, I have done that, and going back decades. But does replacing the 55 injectors with 70s, adding turbos to the buzzin dozen add more pollution? (Got about half MPG better running meat from Ks to east coast, so I doubt it) When I bought my last truck, the 3406E was factory set at 475, but was do for overhaul. When I took it in, I handed the Cat shop the EMC off the wrecked 1, that was factory set to 600. The shop warned me about the transmission not rated for that much torque so cut back to 575. (Still had to watch trans temp if approach WFO in overdrive.) Plus I set NTC Cummins to the most I could depending on turbo/intercooler. But 1 major difference IMHO; The production dates where between '67 and '95. They complied with all emission regulations at the time!
BTW, I did retrofit PCV to a '56 Old, '57 Caddy, and several pre-'63 Fords and Chevys, which I'm sure did reduce pollution compared to the factory installed road draft tube.