cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel anti-gel additive

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Live in N Texas and haven't had a problem, until this past winter.

With our "freezeageddon" this year, and no personal knowledge of the best additive, looking for suggestions from the northern climate truck owners.

All the anti-gel sold out here locally during the freeze, and I don't believe that they put anti-gel in the fuel here (I could be wrong), so I want to pick up something now and be prepared.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
patperry2766 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Power service is what most people /industry use.
What temp did your diesel gel?
I wondered about that in Dallas when it was below zero.

Tried starting it when it was about 5 deg. Nope,Nada. Just let it sit for a couple of days till it got above 25 deg and it fired up.

ALL the shelves were bare EVERYWHERE.

I bet! We were down there during the snowmageddon/arctic freeze. It was absolutely crippling to the entire dfw area for sure. We ended up just hijacking the rental car and driving through the next blizzard headed towards TX, to Albuquerque so we could get a flight out.

Straight #2 starts gelling up in the mid teens. It’s possible the fuel in your area is treated a little or not at all. Simple enough to ask around. Ask a couple of the local oil and fuel suppliers what they do.
I’ve only seen mass fuel gelling once, and it was in Denver of all places. Got to about -30F for a couple nights and according to the news channels the local suppliers had been dosing to about -10F.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Tried starting it when it was about 5 deg. Nope,Nada. Just let it sit for a couple of days till it got above 25 deg and it fired up.

ALL the shelves were bare EVERYWHERE.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
larry cad wrote:
FWIW, Amazon has several products available in stock.

Yes they do, and that's why I looking for suggestions so I can get something ordered and hopefully not have to use it

I'm surprised the "its snake oil" blabber hasn't been throw at you which is usually what happens when the word fuel "additive " is used.

I've had a south TX fuel gell after getting back home in NE OK with single digit temps up here. Pushed the Dodge in the heated garage. About 3 hours later went out and it fired right up. Dumped my usual Power Service amount in the tank and drove around the section.
I use mostly Howes and Power Service as its available every where around here. I like the seat of the pants performance it gives the old 5.9 HO Cummins.

I wouldn't depend on the jug lasting several years. And it won't hurt to use the all jug one winter and order fresh jugs the next winter.

Had to put two hairdryers under the hood for about 4 hours. Luckily, that was before we lost power for 2 1/2 days

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
At what temps is it advisable to add it?

All the packaging says 30F or below. Is that legit or the companies just trying to sell more product?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
larry cad wrote:

Yes they do, and that's why I looking for suggestions so I can get something ordered and hopefully not have to use it

I'm surprised the "its snake oil" blabber hasn't been throw at you which is usually what happens when the word fuel "additive " is used.

I've had a south TX fuel gell after getting back home in NE OK with single digit temps up here. Pushed the Dodge in the heated garage. About 3 hours later went out and it fired right up. Dumped my usual Power Service amount in the tank and drove around the section.
I use mostly Howes and Power Service as its available every where around here. I like the seat of the pants performance it gives the old 5.9 HO Cummins.

I wouldn't depend on the jug lasting several years. And it won't hurt to use the all jug one winter and order fresh jugs the next winter.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

blt2ski
One thing to do with fuel conditioners, be it for gas or diesel. Don't put it in with a full tank, then walk away! Turn the motor on for 5-10 min, so the conditioner gets into ALL the fuel lines, filters etc otherwise you're really not helping you potential problem
With this said, I've had good luck with products by Bell industries for the diesels I've owned and own now. Gas Sta-Bil has worked well, both std red, and marine dk blue version.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
I use this when its down right COLD - Power Diesel Fuel Supplement

Used it in all of my BIG Rigs back in the day and it works.

Same here. I have used it for about 35 years, even when I hauled fuel. That is what many places use to treat their bulk fuel.

I don't gel, but I don't trust anyone else blending my fuel either. I do carry Power Service 911 just in case, and have used it when I had to take a truck that wasn't used much and was filled with straight untreated #2 fuel. It worked, but like was said, you also have to treat the filter.

I have never used Howes, but I have also never seen anyone sitting along side the road in below zero F weather that did use it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Howes Diesel Treat Anti-gel, Hot Shot Secret Anti-Gel are the 2 I use here in CNY even tho the fuel is treated at place of purchase. I don't take any chances. In case you do gel up, 911 or Melt Down. Never have use the Melt Down, but that's what our shop gave us too use along w/ Diesel Thaw as a Anti-Gel (never used that one either). What ever brand you go with, watch your ratios.

One thing to remember as well is that if a gel up product is used, it may not get to the filter where it's actually gelled up, so you'll end up having to replace the filter(s). So some would say "What's the sense in using it then?" which is true, but it will treat any fuel in tank to prevent it from gelling up in filter(s). Again, watch your ratios.

We only had about a week of really cold Texas weather. Never had any problems into the 20's, but we hovered around -0- for about 3 days and my truck wouldn't start till it warmed up

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
I never have used anything in my truck for 25 years in Michigan, no problems ever. 1also would travel across the country in early winter no problem.
Solved any potential problem years ago by spending winter in Florida . lol

I almost confident that they put additives in the cold weather states like you're referencing. Here in Texas...not so much

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I never have used anything in my truck for 25 years in Michigan, no problems ever. 1also would travel across the country in early winter no problem.
Solved any potential problem years ago by spending winter in Florida . lol
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Howes Diesel Treat Anti-gel, Hot Shot Secret Anti-Gel are the 2 I use here in CNY even tho the fuel is treated at place of purchase. I don't take any chances. In case you do gel up, 911 or Melt Down. Never have use the Melt Down, but that's what our shop gave us too use along w/ Diesel Thaw as a Anti-Gel (never used that one either). What ever brand you go with, watch your ratios.

One thing to remember as well is that if a gel up product is used, it may not get to the filter where it's actually gelled up, so you'll end up having to replace the filter(s). So some would say "What's the sense in using it then?" which is true, but it will treat any fuel in tank to prevent it from gelling up in filter(s). Again, watch your ratios.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold