cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dexter EZ Lubes, use or not?

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT has Dexter EZ Lube bearings/axles. The video on their web site show that the bearings can be "re-packed" without removing the wheels/seals/bearings in the traditional manner. However, some folks seem to think this a dangerous practice risking blowing out a seal. I have repacked many bearings over the years but, if I don't need to remove the wheels, just spin them as I pump grease in, this seems like the way to go, that is, follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/resources/videos/e-z-lube-system

Why should I or should I not deviate from the manufacturer's design maintenance recommendations?
47 REPLIES 47

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
mosseater wrote:
..... . Here in PA we have yearly inspections and they pull two axles to check brakes, etc. Nothing like introducing the possibility of a problem you weren't going to have. .....::

Texas trailer inspection
Runnng lights? Good.
Brake/turn lights? Good.
Tires? Good.
$7.00 please. About 5 minutes.
Takes longer to do paperwork than inspection.
Some have said the station checked their brakes. But they have never checked mine.

Oregon trailer inspection...wait we donโ€™t have one.

I wonder if anyone has ever proven if these inspection states have less safety issues with trailers.

As for EZ-Lube, I have them on my flatbed trailer but havenโ€™t used them in the 15 years Iโ€™ve owned it. But I havenโ€™t pulled a wheel or checked the bearings either. Itโ€™s lucky to average 100-200 miles a year.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here we go......get the popcorn, I already have a beer and just did a shot of tequila.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
mosseater wrote:
..... . Here in PA we have yearly inspections and they pull two axles to check brakes, etc. Nothing like introducing the possibility of a problem you weren't going to have. .....::

Texas trailer inspection
Runnng lights? Good.
Brake/turn lights? Good.
Tires? Good.
$7.00 please. About 5 minutes.
Takes longer to do paperwork than inspection.
Some have said the station checked their brakes. But they have never checked mine.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Here in PA we have yearly inspections and they pull two axles to check brakes, etc. Nothing like introducing the possibility of a problem you weren't going to have.
Seals should be replaced every time the hub is removed, so that's a perfect reason to repack afterwards.

Really, yearly? Do they do that for cars, too?

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
My problem with the system is you have to fill the whole hub space with grease before any comes out the front bearing. And at that point, I'm pushing dirt from the inner bearing and hub surface through the outer bearing. It's a lot of grease, expense, and pumping. I use the sytem on the inner bearing to add some new grease every year, and a grease needle between the rollers on the outer bearing. I'm done wasting all that grease for a "convenient" system. I hand repack every other year generally. Here in PA we have yearly inspections and they pull two axles to check brakes, etc. Nothing like introducing the possibility of a problem you weren't going to have. Gotta be a better way to inspect rather than messing around with my preload and seal. What would be wrong with an inspection hole on the backing plate you could actually see through?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
rstanek wrote:
I use EZ lube, camper is 10 years old, about 10000 miles on it check the bearings last year, still like brand knew, good for another 10 years, thanks EZ lube, you made my life easier......

That's what I was looking for..LOL..!

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
gotta agree with azdryheat, too much attention to bearings, although I'm one of the over attention payers.

Had a real nice condition 1985 Wilderness TT for a while (had to replace back bathroom floor due to a real slow leak over time), but rest of TT was pristine. As has been my custom first pulled a wheel and drum and found bearings with real old grease that was a little solidified. However, wheels still turned easy and the bearings were in perfect shape. Looked like the original grease and brake components were still on it. It had sat in on RV park for a long time but had been towed a lot too. So, '85 bearings still being good in '15, not bad.

Bearings were not Chinese were good ol' 'Merican. Actually what was cool that nothing on it was Chinese, all original USA parts.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
PopBeavers wrote:
About 10 years ago, on this forum, the conclusion seemed to be the problem was caused by using a power lube.

I use a hand actuated lube gun and squeeze it very slowly. I have never had a problem.

Agree. โ€œSqueeze it very slowlyโ€. Even a hand lube gun can over pressure the system if pumped to fast/too hard, especially if you fail to keep the wheel turning while pumping.
Again, if you use it, first understand it.

EZ Lube video

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 10 years ago, on this forum, the conclusion seemed to be the problem was caused by using a power lube.

I use a hand actuated lube gun and squeeze it very slowly. I have never had a problem.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

rstanek
Explorer
Explorer
I use EZ lube, camper is 10 years old, about 10000 miles on it check the bearings last year, still like brand knew, good for another 10 years, thanks EZ lube, you made my life easier......
2007 Eagle 322FKS
2015 Chev Silverado 6.0 4:10

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
I alternate annually between using them and manual repacking. Fourteen years combined on my last two trailers with no problems until the end of last year when a seal gave out. It was a year I had the bearings manually repacked.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Age old dispute on here. Some use them and love them. Others feel just the opposite. I use them and never a problem. Just make sure you understand the system and do it correctly if you do.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
only on a boat trailer from what im told
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had them on my last trailer which I had for seven years.
Once a year I would jack each wheel and pump the grease in until the old grease showed up coming out. As I was doing it I would turn the wheel. About four years after I had the trailer I had them professionally done and the mechanic said they were in perfect condition, and then I continued to use the fittings until I sold the trailer.
For what it is worth, that trailer made a 15,000 mile round trip to Alaska and back in one year, and in the other years, it probably accrued 3,000 miles each year.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not! Nope, never, not a chance...

You should periodically remove drum - then inspect brakes, then remove old grease and inspect bearings and then repack by hand using new seals. If you don't, how are you going to know what the condition the bearings, seals and brakes are in? Besides, the EZ lube feature just does not work well. Sometimes the bearings weren't lubed correctly lubed or seals correctly installed at the manufacturer and sometimes dealers add grease via the EZ Lube grease zerk on new trailers and cause problems. The photo below is courtesy anothr forum member and shows what the cheap Chinese bearings can look like. The owner of a local frame & axle shop has one just like it on display on his counter.

Two out of 3 new TTs we've owned had leaking seals and bearing problems from new and both had grease on the brakes. The second time I discovered there was a problem was at the end of the 2nd season (on current TT) after finding that one bearing was running much warmer than the others. Also found leaking seals and grease on the brake shoes. Although it still had life left on the factory warranty, I ended up installing new US-made Timken bearings and hand packing. The dealer already messed it up once and decided it's better to take care of it myself. EZ Lube is just another sales gimmick like "outdoor showers" and "bumper sewer hose storage" features.