Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desert Southwest suggestions

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi All,

I had planned to make this trip last year but for several reasons it was put off. I had asked for and received lots of good advice prior but for some reason a search doesn't turn up that post and it seems to be gone.

I've come up with a preliminary itinerary and thought I'd get a little feedback from those familiar with the area. So far the only date sensitive item on the list is the VLA where they have a guided tour 1st and 3rd Saturday so I'm currently planning to be there 4/18 and spend a couple weeks in the area before returning home.

Very Large Array, NM
Gila Cliff Dwellings, NM
Petrified Forest, AZ
Meteor Crater, AZ
Grand Canyon (South Rim), AZ
Antelope Canyon, AZ
Monument Valley, AZ
Valley of the Gods, UT

Any places I didn't list you'd recommend or any places I should go instead of a planned stop? Before anyone questions Monument Valley AND Valley of the Gods, I plan to spend a few nights boondocking in VOTG trying my hand at nightscape photography. Something I don't think I can do in Monument Valley.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer
24 REPLIES 24

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
See it before it's too late

We had the pleasure of being guided by one of the settling families in this canyon. We listened for hours as he told stories discovering artwork, ruins and artifacts as we hiked around with him. One of our greatest times in Utah
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Dave5143 wrote:

Actually the tours of Antelope canyons are still on, they just don't want professional photographers consuming everyone's time. You are welcome to take snapshots with your phone. May I suggest the boat tour of the other Antelope canyon from Lake Powell also, it's a pleasant journey especially in summer's heat. Don't forget to take the tour of Glen Canyon dam also. It's pretty neat.

Here's a good place to stay in Page, AZ, Wahweap RV Park

As I said before - boat tour to Rainbow Bridge is great adventure and beautiful scenery. Even my wife who is so-so with boating enjoyed that.
Than Horseshoe Bend is just minutes on other side of Page and with elevation drop it beats most of Great Canyon.
Talking about North Rim, you will find nice area for boondocking just few miles from park gate.
No need to pay high fee at park for smelling your neighbour sewer.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave5143 wrote:
Actually the tours of Antelope canyons are still on, they just don't want professional photographers consuming everyone's time. You are welcome to take snapshots with your phone. May I suggest the boat tour of the other Antelope canyon from Lake Powell also, it's a pleasant journey especially in summer's heat. Don't forget to take the tour of Glen Canyon dam also. It's pretty neat.

Yes, but it seems a reservation is still required. Not sure summer heat will be an issue late April, but I'll look into the boat tour. Thanks.
Dan

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Seeing the restrictions on Antelope Canyon, I'll probably cross that one off the list. I have no idea which day I'll be there and it's not like other spots haven't been added since my initial post. I'm only semi-retired so time is still an issue.

Ranger Tim: Thanks for the altitude heads up but this isn't my first trip to elevation. Highest so far was a week above 10,000' on the Grand Mesa in CO. Drink LOTS of water and until you feel acclimated, and even then, "walk like you're retired." 🙂 I'll be there late April, is your North Rim suggestion still an option? I was contemplating heading north from VotG into Moab before heading back via Denver. Sounds like a few days in that area are worthwhile also.

Thanks again all.

Here's a good place to stay in Page, AZ, Wahweap RV Park
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seeing the restrictions on Antelope Canyon, I'll probably cross that one off the list. I have no idea which day I'll be there and it's not like other spots haven't been added since my initial post. I'm only semi-retired so time is still an issue.

Ranger Tim: Thanks for the altitude heads up but this isn't my first trip to elevation. Highest so far was a week above 10,000' on the Grand Mesa in CO. Drink LOTS of water and until you feel acclimated, and even then, "walk like you're retired." 🙂 I'll be there late April, is your North Rim suggestion still an option? I was contemplating heading north from VotG into Moab before heading back via Denver. Sounds like a few days in that area are worthwhile also.

Thanks again all.
Dan

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Tim wrote:
Be sure to factor in altitude when choosing locations.

Speaking of the Grand Canyon, I would suggest the North Rim. Check for weather conditions and snow.

Excellent post and excellent advice, Ranger Tim!

Only caveat I have to add is that the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only open 15 May to 15 October as the elevation is well over 8000 feet and depending on the year, can be snowbound in April. Same with Bryce.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That's the bad side of better economy.
20 years ago I was able to book Antelope Canyon tour for the following day and our family of 4 had "personal" guide for midday visit. Not crowded and plenty of time.
Couple years ago I tried and even at the end of the summer you could book tour for fall or winter.
I guess long waiting lines is what gave complain about photographers holding others from seeing.
$6.5 mil for a photograph. DARN!

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, Antelope Canyon is ending it's special photo tours. You won't be allowed to use tripods or monopods on regular tours:

Ultra Popular Antelope Canyon Ending All Photo Tours

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note on Goblin Valley State Park; it offers some good photography and has a very nice slot canyon for hiking / photography. And it's within striking distance of White Sands.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Admittedly my tastes are a little out of the mainstream. I prefer remote spots with lots of hiking/exploring opportunities.

Whittington Center is an NRA run hunting and shooting facility near Raton, NM. You don’t need to be a member or interested in either to visit. It is 10s of thousands of acres along the old Santa Fe Trail. There are many FHU sites, an old , restored mining town, miles of hiking and wildlife everywhere.
Larry

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Mcdonald Obervatory and nearby Davis Mountains State Park in Texas. May as well do Big Bend National Park too.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an awesome journey ! If you're interested, we have videos on our YouTube channel of many of the places listed in the recommendations here. If you chose to take a look, I would recommend checking out the Playlists for National Parks, National Monuments and State Parks. Click on "View Full Playlist" to see a listing of each video in each category. Scroll to the right to see all the Playlists.

Travels with Yoly

None of the videos are monetized and there are no ads or commercials in any of the videos. I don't have the channel for any purpose other than sharing our travels with like minded folks.

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to factor in altitude when choosing locations. When coming from back east some folks are not conscious of the effects on temperatures altitude plays, not to mention the effects on some folks bodies. There are places like Bryce (8000 ft.) that are high up and can be very cold in April. I have a real problem with altitude and need to acclimatize over a few nights or I suffer bad headaches. Your body may be fine with it. Just be sure to drink copious amounts of water when in the west.

I would not consider visiting canyon country complete without seeing Canyonlands Nat'l Park near Moab. Visit the "Island in the Sky" section, which is accessed off the same road to Moab as Arches. There are many locations that would provide stunning vistas for nightscapes. Mesa Arch is one that should not be missed. A five minute hike from the parking lot. It would provide a sensational shot looking east.

There is rarely anyone camping that time of year (no water) and only 12 sites at Canyonlands, but the views easily equal Grand Canyon. Only a two minute walk from the campground to the Green River Overlook. Great place for night landscapes (Bortle 2/1). There is Dead Horse State Park there with the famous "Horseshoe Bend" but not sure when they open. Before you reach the N.P there are opportunities for boondocking and there is also a BLM campground called Horsethief that is usually deserted - it would be a great spot to shoot from next to the camper..

For a Bortle 1 location stay at Goblin Valley State Park, Utah. It is nearby and on the way from Bryce to Moab.

Of course Arches N.P. is local to that same area as Canyonlands, so stay there for some incredible nightscape opportunities. It's a shame that Moab is only a few miles away from Arches, there is some light dome to factor in. At Arches my favorites are "Double Arch" and "Delicate Arch." If you want to shoot snowy mountains at night the La Sal's are nearby and spectacular. So are the Henry's. These stay snow capped all year. Remember my comment about temperatures.

Speaking of the Grand Canyon, I would suggest the North Rim. Check for weather conditions and snow. There is a wonderful observation point at the rim where Angel's Window is located that would yield countless spots for shooting nightscapes. Many opportunities to shoot without any people in the way. Be sure to watch where you step! The best part is that you will be shooting towards the south in most of them, catching the milky way prominently. Too bad Sagittarius will not be up! I like camping at the Forest Service campground near the North Entrance, good water and usually quiet. Boondocking in the area can be found easily.

If you ever decide to come farther north be sure to contact me for more astro friendly sites that are truly dark. The intersection of Idaho, Oregon and Nevada continues to be one of the darkest spots in the lower 48. The marriage of astronomy and the truck camper is a match made in heaven! I often have a few scopes in the back seat and more in my utility trailer when I set out for the last of the dark places.

Good luck with your journey!
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
deserteagle56: Excellent advice. It's not so much that I was leaving out most of UT, I just couldn't decided what to add to the itinerary. Not knowing the area it's difficult to know what is really a must see site, which is why I'm here. I'd never heard of the Moki Dughway but with you and Tyler0215 both recommending, it's added to my list. Thanks so much for the detailed trip instructions. Natural Bridges, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park were on my list of possibilities. Thanks to you I have a trip plan to see those and others.

TenOC: Thanks. Would love to see Condors.

Second Chance: I can hit White Sands on my way to the VLA. Thanks.

Dick_B: Awesome advice. Thanks.

bighatnohorse: Just for the record, my list was in the order of my stops, not desire to see. "Too much to do - not enough time." Oh so true. But seeing it in a TC is the only way to go, IMHO. 🙂

Thanks again all. If I missed anyone it wasn't intentional. Not a bad bit of advice in the list.
Dan