cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF CONSUMPTION

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
This is a general question to anyone with a Duramax that requires DEF.How far in normal driving will the 5 gal of DEF last before the warning light appears?. Also Where are you purchasing the DEF?. I am contemplating a new Duramax and getting horror stories from a few GM owners.
37 REPLIES 37

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
By law all DEF will have a shelf life of 2 years . After that you dilute it 10 parts water to one part DEF and spray it on your lawn , per the manufacturer .
Sunlight will shorten shelf life .

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
DEF consumption is a percentage of fuel consumption. The more fuel you consumer per mile the more DEF you will also consume. With my Duramax I get roughly 1000 miles per gallon of DEF when not towing and roughly 750 miles per gallon when towing.

When traveling and in general I get DEF at the pumps which is available at most truck stops and many Shell gas stations that sell diesel. That way I can get the DEF tank to 100% full and the DEF is fresher.

DEF is most expensive and least fresh when you buy it in the 2.5 gallon plastic containers at a big box or chain store. Buy it at the pumps and there is no question as to how fresh it will be. DEF also degrades with temperature and exposure to sunlight so sitting underground at a fuel station is a good way to keep it in the best possible condition until it goes into the tank on your truck.

Fresh DEF is enough of a concern that the feds are moving to reduce the maximum allowed size of the DEF tanks on the big rigs so that they will be getting fresh DEF each time they fill up the diesel fuel tanks.

08UltraRider
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrojan66 wrote:
Don't want to hijack thread, but what does bad DEF act like?

A Poor DEF Quality message appears in the DIC. If it's not corrected within I believe it's 200 miles the truck will start speed limiting itself eventually to limp mode (4 mph).

Bad NOX sensors will cause that message to appear too.

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I fill mine at least once a week when driving that truck.

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Roadtech wrote:
I wish you didn't have to go under the hood to add DEF on a Chevy. Having it next to the fuel fill like Ford does is so much better.

For something you fill two, maybe three times a year? Really?
it is more convenient when filling at a truck stop which I do when towing.
Travis - Houma, LA
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Firestone Riderite Airbags
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
wrenchbender wrote:
This is a general question to anyone with a Duramax that requires DEF.How far in normal driving will the 5 gal of DEF last before the warning light appears?. Also Where are you purchasing the DEF?. I am contemplating a new Duramax and getting horror stories from a few GM owners.

I don't have a Duramax, but I just used 2.5 gallons on a 1300 trip from NY to FL under load. I buy the Peak brand from Walmart. No issues.
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I am on board with it under the hood. There is another thread in here where a guy got help from his insurance company after he pumped DEF into his fuel tank. He said the insurance adjuster said they where getting around one call a week for this same issue. For me and the miles I drive (which isn't a lot) I like it where it is at.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
For the average person who drives 15k mi or less a year under the hood fill is ideal and a bit more idiot proof. I could see where high mileage fleet drivers would prefer the Ford fill location but that is a pretty small population.

Or RVers who drive a lot of miles per year like me...

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
Roadtech wrote:
I wish you didn't have to go under the hood to add DEF on a Chevy. Having it next to the fuel fill like Ford does is so much better.

I like mine better under the hood. It's more secure. I read a post where some fool vandalized a Ford truck and poured motor oil into the DEF tank. The entire DEF system had to be replaced. I have also read a few posts where people have inadvertently pumped deisel fuel into the DEF tank because it was right next to the fuel filler.

I claim bull on pumping diesel into the DEF tank. How did they get the diesel nozzle to fit in a hole that is half the size of the nozzle?

It is the opposite. Several Ford owners have pumped DEF into fuel tank taking down the entire fuel system.

For the average person who drives 15k mi or less a year under the hood fill is ideal and a bit more idiot proof. I could see where high mileage fleet drivers would prefer the Ford fill location but that is a pretty small population.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Roadtech wrote:

I like mine better under the hood. It's more secure. I read a post where some fool vandalized a Ford truck and poured motor oil into the DEF tank. The entire DEF system had to be replaced. I have also read a few posts where people have inadvertently pumped deisel fuel into the DEF tank because it was right next to the fuel filler.

Doesn't the Ford fuel fill door lock when you lock the doors? Also, what's to keep someone from vandalizing the diesel fuel tank?

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
Roadtech wrote:

I claim bull on pumping diesel into the DEF tank. How did they get the diesel nozzle to fit in a hole that is half the size of the nozzle?
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Worst things about under the hood is have to stretch the fill hose out to reach pass side. And the pump fills to fast and DEF shoots out everywhere.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtech wrote:

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Roadtech wrote:

For something you fill two, maybe three times a year? Really?

If I only needed to add DEF two or three times a year I would just let the shop top it off when they were doing my oil change. I add DEF at least 8 or 9 times a year and it would be a pain going under the hood to do it IMHO. I'm well over 6' and have to stand on tip toes to even check my oil on my truck. The less I have to go under the hood for the better.

I totally agree. Opening the fuel fill door is a lot easier than opening the hood, especially if you are in a truck stop trying to add DEF at the pump.