cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Daunting it's not...rooftop AC replacement

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took an hour out of my morning to replace my rooftop AC unit on my 5th wheel. Folks....do not pay someone to do this. It is VERY simple to do, even for the faint of heart. Just a few screws and long bolts. The only hard part is deciding where to put the ladder, to use as a "long ramp" to pull the new unit up on the roof. You'll need help for about 5 minutes, to load and unload the units from the rooftop. Note: There is a temperature thing that clamps onto the coil.....do not be afraid to pull it off. The rest is pretty elementary. Save yourself hours of frustration and hundreds of dollars by not going to an RV repair shop.
23 REPLIES 23

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the post. That also tells me that the gasket replacement would be easy!
Brian

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it worked great for those folks that are physically fit or young enough to do that type work.
Others have to pay for those type of services.

Anywayz glad it worked for you.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine while boondocking in northern Florida. I left it in itโ€™s shipping box, backed the truck up to the front of the FW, made a ramp with two 2x4s from the truck bed and pulled it onto the roof. Tie the rope securely so there is no way it can slip off. Return the 2x4s to HD.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
webwrangler wrote:
How much does the average AC unit weigh? Just curious--my TT doesn't have AC.

70#.....A rope, a guy on top pulling, and a guy on the bottom, pushing it up an extension ladder.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the encouragement!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
webwrangler wrote:

About 100#. I would think the hardest part of replacement would be geting that pig up there!

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! Getting the new unit up to the roof is the hard part.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you had a easy time doing that and saved several $ over having someone else do it.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate