cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVT in your 1 ton?

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a lot of experience driving a CVT vehicle but the ones I have were not impressive. Two months ago I bought a new Honda Civic turbocharged 1.5 liter with a CVT to keep miles off my 3500 Ram driving for work. They have this thing figured out now. It is smooth as silk and this thing is like a little bullet. What got me thinking is how it will hold 2k RPM's from 10mph to 60mph and not move the tach at all. Would this not be great behind a Cummins or any new diesel. So after some research I guess the main problem is making a belt that can handle the torque. However I did find where in 2012 Allison and Dana signed an agreement with Fallbrook Technologies to develop a planetary CVT called the CVP trans. The main target seems to be over the road tractors but who knows if might come to light and medium duty trucks.
Another new spin would be diesel over electric trucks like have been used in locomotives for years. A flat max torque curve that starts from idle to wide open again would be sweet pulling any trailer. All this may be way down the road but any thoughts?
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
20 REPLIES 20

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
read up on autocar e3 trucks , they have a hybrid system, diesel hydraulic

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
CVT has also been used in ATVs and snow machines for a while. I recall Kawasaki started in 1997 with the Prairie 400. Almost all utility ATVs use them now and have for many years.
I love me some land yachting

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
One of these days we'll have a 1-ton pickup with a heavy duty version of Prius technology and I'll be first in line for one. No transmission. No torque converter. No fan belts. No starter. Compact hybrid battery pack.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
The American public does not like a CVT equipped vehicle. The Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot and Compass had a CVT Video of CVT in Caliber

Most owners kept bringing them back complaining that the transmission was not shifting. Here is some info on them at Allpar

Don

Lots of people are buying CVT's but American companies haven't committed to them in any big way. Europe and Asia has. Companies like Nissan and Subaru use only CVT's in almost all of their automatic cars. Almost all the hybrids you can buy in North America except VW/Audi use CVT's.

As CAFE standards become more strict, we will be seeing even more of them. Keeping an engine at its most efficient operating RPM makes a lot of sense. Like a turbo prop that runs at a constant RPM and uses changes in propellor pitch and fuel flow to control power output.

They do take some getting used to. Some manufactures have even engineered sport modes into theirs that are programmed with virtual ratios to give a sensation of shifting.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
I do not have a lot of experience driving a CVT vehicle but the ones I have were not impressive. Two months ago I bought a new Honda Civic turbocharged 1.5 liter with a CVT to keep miles off my 3500 Ram driving for work. They have this thing figured out now. It is smooth as silk and this thing is like a little bullet. What got me thinking is how it will hold 2k RPM's from 10mph to 60mph and not move the tach at all. Would this not be great behind a Cummins or any new diesel. So after some research I guess the main problem is making a belt that can handle the torque. However I did find where in 2012 Allison and Dana signed an agreement with Fallbrook Technologies to develop a planetary CVT called the CVP trans. The main target seems to be over the road tractors but who knows if might come to light and medium duty trucks.
Another new spin would be diesel over electric trucks like have been used in locomotives for years. A flat max torque curve that starts from idle to wide open again would be sweet pulling any trailer. All this may be way down the road but any thoughts?

My daughter and son in law have a Nissan Rogue with a CVT. I don't think I could get to that high engine revving from a start all the way up to cruising speed.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Nissan Rogue with a CVT, and we love it. Runs great, gets great gas mileage, and we have not had one problem at all with it in 6 years and 80,000 miles. When we bought it, I was warned both by the salesman and my local mechanic that it is NOT an "offroad" vehicle, even though it sorta looks like it should be. As long as it is driven like a normal car, it is fine.

My understanding is that the lack of shifting and constant up and down of the RPMs allows engines to run much more efficiently, especially with today's computer controls.

I do think that when they get the CVT heavy duty enough to run reliably for hard use in cars and trucks for on and off road use, they will make "standard" automatics obsolete.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a fan at all about them, my mother has a Nissan with it and nothing but issues. It was replaced last year again under warranty. She has decided to sell it this year and buy something different. Some like them others like me would never own or want one.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
The American public does not like a CVT equipped vehicle. The Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot and Compass had a CVT Video of CVT in Caliber

Most owners kept bringing them back complaining that the transmission was not shifting. Here is some info on them at Allpar

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Some engineer somewhere will get it figured out eventually, and it will make the conventional automatic transmission obsolete.

I'm guessing it'll happen round about the time I'm grumpy and old and vehemently averse to any change. Then I can come on here and complain that I can no longer get a good old reliable "slushbox" in a pickup truck, like the guys complaining that they can't get a stick shift now.

Now I want a manual CVT.

Give me a clutch to get it rolling and a stick I can pull smoothly from front to back with infinite control of the ratio from granny to double-over.:)
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arcamper wrote:
This is what I am looking for. Basically no transmission. Electric gets you around town stop and go. About 45 mph a single clutch connects the engine to the drive train and away you go. Engine could self start if needed to charge the battery around town. Maybe 40 to 100 mile range on battery (not towing).

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Not CVT but Ford has something on their pickup website that says they are developing a 10 speed for gassers and a 9 speed for SD trucks. GM is supposedly a partner in this.

Check it out here

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not CVT but Ford has something on their pickup website that says they are developing a 10 speed for gassers and a 9 speed for SD trucks. GM is supposedly a partner in this.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
There have been CVT applications in heavy equipment and agricultural equipment for several years now. They handle tremendous hp and torque very well. The biggest issue for the possibility in light truck applications is weight....they are heavy.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Some tractors are running CVTs these days. Lord knows they rely on torque.