Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins to Hemi?

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi folks,

Currently have a '14 3500 CTD with around 25K miles on it.
When we were looking for a truck (2015) I was originally looking for a 6.4L, but couldn't find one with 4.10's, and the CTD ended up being cheaper than ordering a 6.4L.

Just bought a new 5th wheel that fully loaded (without water) weighs in at 10,500lbs.
The CTD tows it effortlessly, and I LOVE the exhaust brake.
Thing is, because it's a short-box, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to carry bikes/kayaks(in the future).

Have found a '15 3500 dually 6.4L, 4.10's with about 1200miles on it at a dealer.

This would help with my 'cargo' carrying issues with the longer box as I could put an over-the-cab rack without having to worry about clearances with the 5th wheel front cap.

Another reason I'm considering it is because our current truck has now been taken off of daily driver duties and will be our tow- vehicle only.
Is having it sit for extended lengths of time a problem?

I know that I'll be giving up a bit of towing performance, but my previous tow vehicles were both gassers, so I know what to expect with one towing out here in the West. I do not have any issue with hearing a gas engine rev.

Guess I'm trying to determine if the trade-offs will be worth it.

Pros:
-newer truck
-more payload capacity/usefullness
-gasser 'simplicity'

Cons:
-loss of diesel 'oomph'
-loss of exhaust brake

My truck is paid for, and after talking with the dealer it looks like a straight across trade (with a few extras to me) would be possible.

Anyways, thoughts??
92 REPLIES 92

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I struggled with the Gas vs Diesel thing for a long time, had my 2013 F250 Gas 6.2 for 4 years and 45,000 total miles and of those 13,000 miles were towing my sig. 12,000 lbs 5th wheel.

I bought my 2017 sig Ram 3500 DRW Cummins and have 11,000 miles on it now with 5,500 of those miles towing my sig. 5'er. I have never been happier...zero issues, much better ride from the 3500 DRW setup and the power is unbelievable and makes towing a breeze ๐Ÿ™‚

Just my two cents ๐Ÿ™‚

Gas/ Petrol trucks MDT/ HDT died out many years ago in Australia, now Pickups are rapidly going through the same transformation

Which might matter, if the OP were in Australia!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
LOL the charts shows the repair costs being the same between the gas and diesel. Whens the last time you had to replace injectors on a Hemi, replace and clean the EGR system, replace a turbo, injector pump, DEF system, grid heater, adjust valve lash, EGT sensors, fuel filters, oil leak repairs, water pump, replace dual batteries, service dual radiator's?

And most of these things are items that you are probably not going to service within 5 years of ownership unless you were putting in a lot of miles which in that case all these items are better than replacing a whole engine. However, I know you are just listing them just so you can be like your neighbor. I could list the 10k to replace the fuel system on a Powerstroke, but I don't want to be like you and your neighbor.

Actually, no...it would be CHEAPER to replace a complete diesel engine than the exhaust filters! For the cost of ONE diesel truck exhaust filter, you can install a complete, rebuilt gas engine. Diesel has jumped the shark.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Mountains + towing = diesel
Mountains + towing + gasser = lame
Gasser = lame - diesel!
Lol
Your $ your choice. 6.4 is a nice truck, but Iโ€™d only do that if finances dictated I should.

20 years ago, who would have thought we would call 400 hp lame.

400 hp is not lame but 400 lbft is when you have double that available. That's like taking off half throttle every time.......Ain't nothin like feeling the left front wheel getting light when taking of at a stoplight. LOL

OK, one more time. Repeat after me: One horsepower equals one horsepower!
Current rig:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
I struggled with the Gas vs Diesel thing for a long time, had my 2013 F250 Gas 6.2 for 4 years and 45,000 total miles and of those 13,000 miles were towing my sig. 12,000 lbs 5th wheel.

I bought my 2017 sig Ram 3500 DRW Cummins and have 11,000 miles on it now with 5,500 of those miles towing my sig. 5'er. I have never been happier...zero issues, much better ride from the 3500 DRW setup and the power is unbelievable and makes towing a breeze ๐Ÿ™‚

Just my two cents ๐Ÿ™‚

Gas/ Petrol trucks MDT/ HDT died out many years ago in Australia, now Pickups are rapidly going through the same transformation

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer

Just my two cents ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I don't understand the obsession with whether or not a person needs a diesel. Nobody seems to do that when buying a Lexus over a Toyota or a King Ranch over an XLT. The diesels perform better but cost more up front. If you want the performance and can afford it, get the diesel and don't feel the need to justify the choice.

Agree completely here with Ida!
I didn't need it at all. But, I got a great deal, wanted one, now its in the garage! Not worried at all about expensive emissions stuff either. Its Ram's problem for quite some time, then when no warranty and issues arise they will all be deleted.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
We don't want derail this thread too much. I think there re two distinct parts to the original post:

1. Is the trade in of the diesel to a gasser worth it?
2. Will there be regrets stepping down to a gasser later?

#1 No
#2 Yes

Bedlam
For me, I have a self-restricted budget for fun that requires I prioritize what I need verses what I what I want to avoid going into any debt. My priorities may be different than the other forum members, so I can only give input on why I chose certain options or features over others. Insight on my choice may sway someone to or away from the same, but at least they get a perspective from an angle they may not have approached. I try not criticize a choice I would not make myself but will offer options.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said he checked out a few pages back and actually requested this thread to be closed. Not sure why it hasn't yet.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Bedlam
We don't want derail this thread too much. I think there re two distinct parts to the original post:

1. Is the trade in of the diesel to a gasser worth it?
2. Will there be regrets stepping down to a gasser later?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Hey, there's a few of us perfectly happy with our Tradesman/XL trim and would rather spend the money on engine and suspension rather than cheek and palm warmers...

You are a perfect example of what I am talking about. Some here talk about their "need" for a diesel in their Laramie optioned truck yet they never talk about the "need" for the $10k Laramie option from the Tradesman. The Laramie package and diesel engine are both options that people want to have. Some think the Laramie option is more important than the diesel option while others like yourself think the diesel option is more important than the Laramie option.

Yet I have never heard you talk about how you didn't get the Laramie option because you didn't "need" it or talk about how you would never "recoupe" the money spent on the Laramie option in fuel savings. It would sound silly if you did just as it sounds silly when someone does the same when talking about the diesel engine option. You get it because you want it and sometimes you don't want it bad enough to spend the money to get it or you don't want it at all, and there is nothing wrong with that.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Bedlam
Hey, there's a few of us perfectly happy with our Tradesman/XL trim and would rather spend the money on engine and suspension rather than cheek and palm warmers...

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I don't understand the obsession with whether or not a person needs a diesel. Nobody seems to do that when buying a Lexus over a Toyota or a King Ranch over an XLT. The diesels perform better but cost more up front. If you want the performance and can afford it, get the diesel and don't feel the need to justify the choice.

Yeah, I hardly ever hear anyone talk about justifying their need for a Laramie package over and SLT or when they upgrade from the base V6 gas engine to the optional V8 gas engine. Most people don't get these options because they "need" them and they are never going to "recoupe" their money for these options in fuel. Yet every time the diesel engine option gets brought up people start talking about their needs and recouping their money in fuel. I never understood this.

The diesel engine option is just like any other option that costs more. You pay more to get more. However, the diesel options also increases the value of the truck just like a Laramie package would over an SLT.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB