cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crayon smell

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2008 Chevrolet 2500 diesel with 120,000.miles. This has excellent maintenance. Most people think it is new. We have just started getting a smell of crayons. Only happens every once in a while and last maybe a minute. Any ideas?
Dick OK
8 REPLIES 8

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The DPF could be on regen and developing more than the 1,200 degrees it created when new. Could be burning paint or bed-liner. Maybe a leak has caused fluid to migrate to the DPF.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhhh..... brings back the grade school kid in me ... opening that new and fresh box of Crayola Crayons the very first time of the school year! Nice memory. Thanks for sharing! (sorry about your problem though.)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might be a heater core with a very small leak.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup Rosmella has an odor for sure. But IMO it smells like oil.
I used the stuff once and it was annoying. Then a buddy had my truck for a while, we swapped trucks and he had the oil changed, called me saying he thinks it's leaking or burning oil. It was the Rotella smella.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you use Rotella eng oil, it can have an odor for a while after an oil change.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why? That stuff smell like crayons if yer Edsel was burning oil?

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Good. Glad to know you guys are not using RayLube. ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
While it seems totally off the wall, our old 2006 SRT8 Charger had the same smell, but only when heat was on and only for a minute or so, like you.
And it may have been sporadic, like not all the time, and the last year or 2 never noticed it.
I swore there were a couple crayons that got shoved down the defroster vents or something, but never found out what it was and never had a problem.

FWIW, I just googled it and Mercedes of the same era as our old Charger (which was a Diamler/Mercedes chassis) had a crayon smell and it was some wax in the insulation somewhere.