Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Couple's trailer, tow vehicle, garage size

suehuck
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We are new to both this forum and to RVing. We've had small (tiny) trailers in the past, but we're now retired and want to spend anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks a year in an RV spread out throughout the year.

We want to stick with a couple's trailer that has a queen bed set up all the time, a back bath, and one slide out. We also want a 6 cf fridge. We plan on spending some of that time in national parks so overall trailer length shouldn't exceed 22 or 23 feet.

We're considering the Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS or the Winnebago Micro Mini 2106FBS. They look very similar in layout - is there a significant difference in quality? The Winnie has smaller holding tanks but seems to cost more (based on RV Trader prices). Are there other couple's trailers to consider? We looked at Jayco but the holding tanks are the smallest of the bunch so we've ruled those out. Although the trailer doesn't need to be a true 4 season camper, we do plan on taking it down to warmer states for several weeks at a time when the snows fly in Colorado.

We've looked at Lance and some of the other well made trailers based on the west coast but they are too spendy for us.

The other thing we have to think about is the tow vehicle. Right now we have a 2014 Grand Jeep Cherokee with the tow package and a V8 engine. We also have an older vehicle we need to replace and that new vehicle will eventually become the tow vehicle for the trailer. But until we buy the new vehicle do you think it's safe to use the Jeep as the TV? I'm not concerned about payload, but since we live in the Rocky Mountains I am concerned about torque and wheel base.

Regarding the new tow vehicle to be purchased, we have to find a truck that will fit in our garage. (The builders put a bump out in the garage that severely limits what we can put in there.) We're narrowing our choices down to the Chevy Colorado and a Ford 150. To fit in the garage, the Ford 150 could only have the front cab with no extended cab and only 2 doors, so if the Chevy is hefty enough I'd prefer to buy it. But it's obviously more important to be able to safely pull the trailer through the mountains so if the Ford 150 is advised, we'll just put up with having only the front seat.

I've lurked on this site for a while and have learned quite a bit. I know that dealer reliability is critical, so if you all can either suggest a dealer on the front range or let me know how to find one I would greatly appreciate it. I've done some basic google searches but I'd really value personal experience.

Thanks for your help! We newbies so all advice is welcome.
39 REPLIES 39

postmandug
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, the 192RBS is the perfect size and perfect floor plan for us. We bought ours last October and love it. Zero quality issues so far. The biggest selling points for us were the amount of USABLE counter space and the abundance of storage spaces inside the trailer. The fact that it came with the television and the outside grill were icing on the cake.

Doug & Cheryl
Bardstown KY
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Ford F250 w 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 3.73 rearend

โ€œAnd into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soulโ€

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
suehuck wrote:
SoundGuy, I am not really sure what my husband had added to our Jeep. It had something to do with towing our last small camper. I know we had the anti-sway bar and had weight distribution, but I am clearly not mechanical and can't give specifics. Anyway, regardless of what tow vehicle we end up with we will install all the recommended safety features.

So in your original post you said - "Right now we have a 2014 Grand Jeep Cherokee with the tow package and a V8 engine", in which case the only item that could have been added specifically for towing would have been a brake controller. Weight distribution and sway control have nothing to do with the tow vehicle per se but rather are stand alone items that connect the trailer to the TV. That's important as any future vehicle you might want to use for towing only needs to be similarly equipped and has nothing to do with using WD and sway control. Of course whatever WD system you have needs to be correctly rated for the size of trailer you intend to tow.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
suehuck wrote:
Iโ€™m in the car so canโ€™t check. How long is the 233rbs?

box is 22.5, bumper to hitch is 25.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
suehuck wrote:
Talked with DH this morning and we're thinking we will give the Jeep a go at being the tow vehicle before we purchase a truck. It isn't nearly as big as a Tundra (which would be our truck of choice but it won't fit in the garage). We'll look at trucks (diesel, single cab F150) to be ready to buy in case our Jeep can't perform as we'd like, but it's good to know that most folks think we should give the Jeep a go. I appreciate everyone's time and advice on this.

Have a safe and enjoyable trips!

suehuck
Explorer
Explorer
Talked with DH this morning and we're thinking we will give the Jeep a go at being the tow vehicle before we purchase a truck. It isn't nearly as big as a Tundra (which would be our truck of choice but it won't fit in the garage). We'll look at trucks (diesel, single cab F150) to be ready to buy in case our Jeep can't perform as we'd like, but it's good to know that most folks think we should give the Jeep a go. I appreciate everyone's time and advice on this.

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
We chose a floorplan with sofa over a dinette, as it is much more comfortable. Besides when sitting on the sofa, you won't need to turn sideways to view the TV. The 192 RBS comes with table, which can be moved around.

The walk around bed is a definite plus and it is a full queen (80" long). When bought our 192 RBS, we expected to replace the rather thin (ยฑ5" thick) mattress, but it turned out to be very comfortable.

Unless you really want a new truck, I would stay with your Jeep. My 4.7 Tundra tows the 192 RBS without any issues. I've been in some terrible head & cross winds in west Texas & OK. this past spring. A new truck might get you up the pass a little quicker and maybe better gas mileage, but you can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of a new truck.
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

suehuck
Explorer
Explorer
One more question regarding price - we plan on going to the RV convention in early January. Are good deals to be had at these conventions? Would it be worth it to wait until then to purchase an RV?

I see prices for both 2018 and 2019 models all over the board on RV Trader, and the difference doesn't appear to be in options. MSRP is always high (at least on vehicles) and I never would use that price as a beginning bargaining position. Is the average RV Trader price a better gauge?

suehuck
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy, I am not really sure what my husband had added to our Jeep. It had something to do with towing our last small camper. I know we had the anti-sway bar and had weight distribution, but I am clearly not mechanical and can't give specifics. Anyway, regardless of what tow vehicle we end up with we will install all the recommended safety features.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want a deal wait until Fall, we bought our trailer for ~15% off normal internet retail in early November. It's not a huge amount of money in this class of trailer but it did cover tax and doc fees.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
suehuck wrote:
If anyone knows of a good deal on a 2018 192RBS please let me know! I know now would be the time to buy because 2019s are coming out.

2019 models have been arriving at dealers for months now. I'd see little reason to buy a used 2018 with no warranty when a brand new 2019 with full warranty would cost little more ... for any significant price difference you'd want to be looking at an older model year unit, such as my 2014. That's not to say you couldn't come across a dealer who has a left over, brand new 2018 but considering this is one of Coachmen's most popular models it would seem your chances of finding such a gem are probably not that great.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
suehuck wrote:
Dodge Guy, our Jeep is completely set up for towing - we installed the anti sway hitch and something on the driver's side to apply sway braking.

Curious as to exactly what you mean by this as the only "hitch" one would add to any vehicle for towing that didn't already have one would be a hitch receiver but that has nothing to do with "anti sway". :h So called "anti sway" would either be a stand alone friction sway bar mounted to both the trailer and tow vehicle OR with some weight distribution systems is an integrated feature of that device as a function of it's design - but neither has anything to do with upgrading the tow vehicle. And what is "something on the driver's side to apply sway braking"? - you mean a brake controller? If so, that really has nothing to do directly with controlling sway but merely applies braking power to the trailer's electric brakes, based on quickly you're braking the tow vehicle. Could you clarify? :@

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think a 2014 Grand Cherokee with a V8 would be the 5.7L Hemi, which has more than enough horse power. My Ram has the same engine and I pull a heavier trailer with absolute ease. We're in the mountains here too though not as high.

I would use what I have if I was you.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

suehuck
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge Guy, our Jeep is completely set up for towing - we installed the anti sway hitch and something on the driver's side to apply sway braking. We bought the Jeep to pull a much lighter camper (a hard sided pop up) 4 years ago because it had decent torque and a V8 engine AND fit in the garage.

However, with a much bigger camper - at least bigger for us - we're mostly concerned with torque and the short wheel base, especially in the mountains. I want to be able to go over 50 mph and not struggle up each pass. We don't need to buy a new vehicle just for the sake of it, but I really don't want to be under powered.

Not having to buy a new vehicle would be great. Struggling up mountain passes or putting undue strain on the Jeep would not. Is the only way to tell whether the Jeep is sufficient is to actually tow the trailer with it?

suehuck
Explorer
Explorer
Camp-n-family, you've certainly given us food for thought on the truck. I've never owned a diesel - are there ever times when you can't find diesel fuel?

If anyone knows of a good deal on a 2018 192RBS please let me know! I know now would be the time to buy because 2019s are coming out. We may not be able to get to a dealer before we leave on a 2 week vacation - should we make time since we won't get back until mid August, or are deals available often? We have a lot of projects in the fire and won't use the camper until next year so there's no rush unless we get a great deal.

Addy15, my DH is saying the same thing you are - we need to get the floor plan that is going to make us happy (and keep us married!!!) Our very first camper was a Little Guy - a queen bed on wheels. I loved that little thing until we went to Steamboat and it rained for days. We sat on the bed or in the car looking at each other a lot and sold it the next week. I think a walk around QB as opposed to a crawl over QB needs to stay on the "must have" list. This will partially drive camper size, which will drive vehicle purchase. Small price to pay for marital bliss.