cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

Wgeorge11
Explorer
Explorer
Cauzin Chaos wrote:
Has anyone changed out a manual jack to an electric one?

Yep, I've done a couple of these over the years, and wouldn't leave home without one. Easy enough to block up the tongue, undo 3 machine screws, remove the mechanical jack, install the electric jack and bolt it down. You'll probably spend more time hooking up the power to the unit. Just don't forget to fuse it. It's a quick fix.
Make sure the bolt pattern is similar on the replacement. Typically the jacks are rated at 3-4k pounds. Keep in mind, your tongue weight will only be 10-15% of the gross TT weight. I always use a 3500# Atwood as an aid to lift and level my TT before setting the stabilizer jacks. Otherwise you may bend those non lifting, rear stabilizer beyond repair.
There are a lot of posts here re weighing your rig. I check my gross weight on the truck scales and adjust the weight if necessary using my tongue scale. When in doubt keep the weight forward.
Traveling companion

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
kraushad wrote:
I found some unused space above our pantry. I added some supports, a shelf, and then hinged the countertop for easy access.

Nice!! I hate wasted space.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
For purposes of buying a trailer jack, I don't think you have to be that accurate about the tongue weight, which will vary from trip to trip anyway. Usually the tongue weight will be 10-15% of the trailer weight. To be on the safe side, use the max weight of the trailer to make the calculation. For an 8500lb trailer, 15% would be 1275 lbs.

I purchased my camper with the jack already installed. I would not even consider having a camper without an electric tongue jack now. I'm even considering installing one on my small cargo trailer, too!
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

bigun73
Explorer
Explorer
Cauzin Chaos wrote:
bigun73 wrote:
Cauzin Chaos wrote:
What brand was it?? and weight was???

I keep researching & think I found one that will work with the weight of my trailer. I am so not into jacking that thing up and down by hand!!
LINK

Well, it might not. trailer weight is 8500 pounds not 6500 pounds like I thought.

I believe that what the add is saying is 6500 lbs. of "on the jack weight", i take that as being more to hitch weight not total weight of the trailer.

How do you know what the hitch weight is?

I have read a lot on here about that, and what i found was the most accurate way was to go to a truck stop and use the scales there. to find hitch weight i just put the landing gear on the scale and got the hitch weight. i did this fully loaded and ready to travel.

many others on here have better and other ways and will be glad to let you know how. also, in other posts others have detailed directions on how. I like to use the scales, and it worked for me.

have a great year camping.

kraushad
Explorer
Explorer
I found some unused space above our pantry. I added some supports, a shelf, and then hinged the countertop for easy access.

Dirk
Myself (37), my Wife(35), "The Boy"(5), & "The Girl" (1)
06 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3L V8, 3.42rear
05 30QBSS Trail-Cruiser, Prodigy BC, Reese Dual Cam W/D

Cauzin_Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
bigun73 wrote:
Cauzin Chaos wrote:

I keep researching & think I found one that will work with the weight of my trailer. I am so not into jacking that thing up and down by hand!!
LINK

Well, it might not. trailer weight is 8500 pounds not 6500 pounds like I thought.

I believe that what the add is saying is 6500 lbs. of "on the jack weight", i take that as being more to hitch weight not total weight of the trailer.

How do you know what the hitch weight is?
My treasures do not chink or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.

bigun73
Explorer
Explorer
Cauzin Chaos wrote:

LINK

Cauzin_Chaos
Explorer
Explorer

LINK

My treasures do not chink or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased one last year and the DH thinks it is the best purchase we have ever made. I purchased it on ebay from mantelli trailer sales. Ordered it on a Monday and received it on Thursday. DH installed it Thurs evening in about 1 1/2 hours and we left on our first trip of the year on Friday morning.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
Cauzin Chaos wrote:

Lots of info here on that. I hear its a two beer job!
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15

Cauzin_Chaos
Explorer
Explorer

ut_pupcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Yup I put one of the bars that are available from most trailer places. It was a quick and easy mod and a big saver when we take the grand kids. They kept grabbing the little sliding plastic piece and would pop it off. THis way they can both grab the bar and pull the door shut.
Don & Alice

Camping in and around Utah
2013 Rockwood 8286WS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2003 Ford F350 Lariat Super duty Crew Cab
6 kids 3 grand kids a dog a cat and Titan the killer Chiweenie 🙂

Camping in 2013: 15
Camping in 2012: 19

Bearly51
Explorer
Explorer
MichelleLMT wrote:
Has anyone put a bar across the screen door to make it easier to pull shut when it gets away from you? Seems like a good idea to save the screen from being pushed or pulled on.

We simply added a nylon strap and it works great.
Bearly51

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Bearly51 wrote:
Right after we bought our used trailer, my wife wanted me to install a paper towel holder by the sink. When we got to our destination on our very first trip the paper towel had unrolled about a third of itself. We now use a small bungee cord around it when traveling.

I use a small bungee on the TP also.....
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bearly51 wrote:
Right after we bought our used trailer, my wife wanted me to install a paper towel holder by the sink. When we got to our destination on our very first trip the paper towel had unrolled about a third of itself. We now use a small bungee cord around it when traveling.

We bought a paper towel dispenser, it kinda ratchets as you pull them off so it can't "free-wheel", the old trailer we took them off and put them in the sink.
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge