cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a enclosed trailer to a RV TT

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, hope all are well and healthy. Maybe asked before but, has anyone converted a 7x16 enclosed trailer to an RV TT.? I have seen a few ideas online as I’m in the fact gathering phase. We recently sold our large fifth wheel, just got tired of dragging around 35 feet and we can keep a much smaller camper at our house. So hence I may just build one. I own a 7x16 very well build enclosed trailer so we have that so far. Anyway if anyone has done it please post up some good info, even the good and the bad. Theirs just 3 of us so my daughter would be helping out build this as well. Yes I do have experience in construction and all types of stuff, so a project like this would be still a challenge but I look forward to it. Thanks!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.
43 REPLIES 43

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Want to save money RVing? Go bowling instead. Want a rugged, individualized camper? Check out cargo trailer conversions. But only if you have the skills or are willing to learn the skills necessary to create your own.

My buddy started some of us down this trail when he get sick of typical travel trailer weaknesses. Things like bent axles, delamination, leaks, and spongy floors drove him to converting a horse trailer into a camper. He had his last blowout over ten years ago after switching. Check out the payload of the average manufactured travel trailer, usually around 1,000 pounds. You can create one with two or three times that if you like. Your money, your choice. Have fun and don't pay any attention to the Negative Neds, or me. Do what you do.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t let the naysayers discourage you if this is something you want to do and it makes sense for you. Yeah, it might not be cost effective, but very little about rving is. There are so many cool ideas for cargo trailer camper conversions on Pinterest. The onesie I like have a bank of kitchen cabinets across the nose of the trailer and fold down beds on the sides. Once the beds are folded up you get use of most of the cargo space to haul quads bikes toys etc, or maybe even to use it during the week for work and camp in on the weekend. Make sure you show us lots of pictures of the build!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you want an incredible guide - check out FarOutRide.com. Granted, it's a van conversion; but Antoine and Isabelle are both engineers and detailed their build (that they live in full time) in a journal. And the company Sportmobile, offers lots of different floor plans to ponder. Again - they are a van upfitter, but the info should work for a trailer, too
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:

The carpet is just 1 example. I prefer to cook and do dishes outside. If I was converting a cargo trailer, I would mount sink and stove to back door, at a height to be comfortable to use while standing on level ground. If needed, could bend or sit to use inside.
My point is, DIY, you can make it as simple as you want, in both construction and use.

Again, lots come with an outdoor kitchen or it would be easy to retrofit one on a an existing camper.

Sure you can put in far more effort and cost to get simple or you can buy a simple RV and make a few minor changes.

Again, if you just like projects, it makes sense. Otherwise, you would be hard pressed to come up with a reason to build.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
....snip......
My point is, DIY, you can make it as simple as you want, in both construction and use.

That is the whole point. Add a cot, cooler, and camp stove and you can go camping. Windows, showers, air conditioning, vents, flooring, and a whole lot more things are optional.

As far as not being allowed in a campground, that is fine. If they don't want me, I certainly don't want them.

My friend who built one attached a manual RV awning to one side of his trailer. Great idea, it offered the same benefits as on an RV, and gave him some shelter from the weather.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
One point the Lot of work for no money crowd seam to overlook; Depending on the owners wants/needs, the camper can be made pretty simple.
Example. Most RVs have carpet. I prefer a floor that can be cleaned with a broom, or at worse, a mop. Some places, like next to bed, a soft floor feels better. A rug, that I can take out and shake, or throw in washer works. And in small area, dirt/mud can be tracked next to bed. Move rug out of way until bed time.

Buy a cheap small trailer. Most come with vinyl flooring if not rip out the carpet and put it in and you have an easy to clean floor.

The carpet is just 1 example. I prefer to cook and do dishes outside. If I was converting a cargo trailer, I would mount sink and stove to back door, at a height to be comfortable to use while standing on level ground. If needed, could bend or sit to use inside.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Buy a cheap small trailer. Most come with vinyl flooring if not rip out the carpet and put it in and you have an easy to clean floor.

Rip up that carpet and discover the cheapest, flimsiest, crappy floor they can install. The conversion trailers usually have full 3/4 inch plywood, not cardboard, floors that are meant to support things like motorcycles, four wheelers, and construction equipment. No comparison. I have both, so I am not recommending one over the other, but there are huge difference. If you like pretty and flimsy, get the TT. If you lean more toward practical, you might look at the cargo trailers.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
One point the Lot of work for no money crowd seam to overlook; Depending on the owners wants/needs, the camper can be made pretty simple.
Example. Most RVs have carpet. I prefer a floor that can be cleaned with a broom, or at worse, a mop. Some places, like next to bed, a soft floor feels better. A rug, that I can take out and shake, or throw in washer works. And in small area, dirt/mud can be tracked next to bed. Move rug out of way until bed time.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
...snip......We still love camping.....snip....

Bingo! That may be why a conversion will be fun for you and your family. There are plenty of "Ready mades" for those that want to tow a mobile home. A conversion fills the gap between them and the tenters.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all replies, yes we sold our fifth wheel already. I have another fifth wheel to borrow, aka my aunts, if I want to. We picked up this 7x16 like new and got a really great deal on it. I was planning on resell to make some money or use it for another business start up. But a few years ago I saw the conversion and was impressed. I always liked the work and play campers, such a great idea and they kinda are hard to find here in Florida for the right size. So it got me thinking to do my own and making it fit my family. Yes I do have experience in a lots of trades, I chose to learn a lot and still do. I’m no master of any but trades and common sense and the ability to ask others, seeking wisdom pays off. So I’m still on the fence with the conversion and will dive into more reading. If not then I guess it’s time to start up another venture on my days of from the FD. Thank you for all the comments, been part of this online board for years now and learn a lot. We still love camping, I see us buying a C class or such sometime in a few years, time will tell.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I did one about 10 years ago. 6x12 v-nose single axle with cargo doors, no ramp.
Had a shower, porta-potty, SS sink, 2 burner cooktop, 30A service, 45A converter, wall AC, 10 gal. electric water heater, full size bed, 20 gal. fresh water tank, city water hookup, 4 sliding windows, Fantastic Fan.
No grey or black water tank. Used a 30 gal. sewer tote. Separate 20# propane w/quick connect.
No dinette, but had folding table and chair if we had to eat inside.
Used it for 3 years and sold it for a little less than what I had in it.
Took about 2 months off and on, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it.
Mostly state or national parks. Never had a problem getting into a campground.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a forum devoted to cargo trailers. Lots of good advice and examples.

Here'http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=c954d1ca4e735b66a4d75a099e7edb75http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=c954d1ca4e735b66a4d75a099e7edb75
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

A good friend of mine did just that.
His was about 14 feet I think. He converted it to a TT for his own use to go fishing and such.
I was very impressed at his ingenuity. The bed folded up against the wall for daytime use. He wired it for lighting and such.
He carried his fishing boat on a rack he built for the roof.
It had a side door and a flip down ramp that he could run a quad up inside.
It was very basic but it worked well.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com