cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer update after TransferFlow install on a Chevy 3500HD

Scot
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a 61 gallon fuel tank replacement installed in my 2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so, did you or can you get the computer adjusted to accommodate the increased volume of fuel to do its calculations such as miles to empty or mileage ratings?
Scot & Ann
2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CC Dually Duramax/Allison
2013 Sandpiper 355RE
Hidden Hitch 18k
My Photos
10 REPLIES 10

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Every since I had the T-flow mid ship replacement tank installed I
have always re-filled at 1/4 tank. Issue resolved. Then again, I have
trust issues with any "levels"....
hint: black water tank.;)

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
When i switched out the stock tank for the T-flow 50 gallon replacement one on current truck, T-flow also sent a new float rod. Replaced the stock rod w/ T-flows and reading is dead on for fuel level/used/mpgs. Never bothered w/ distance to empty.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Scot
Explorer
Explorer
Update.. I had the tank installed and when the installer transferred the pump/float for the fuel level, they must have banged it pretty good so that when I still had about 30 gallons left, the light was coming on and the gauge was on E. My buddy has a Ford and they were able to tell the computer to calculate based upon the new size (51 gallons vice what ever was in there before) but I've not been able to get anyone on the Chevy side to figure out where that is and how to adjust it. I have since gotten the fuel float replaced and the gauge is pretty accurate now but I would never recommend the place that did my tank install to do anything on my truck or RV again.
Scot & Ann
2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CC Dually Duramax/Allison
2013 Sandpiper 355RE
Hidden Hitch 18k
My Photos

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
racer4 wrote:
From the FAQs on transferflow.com:

"How will the larger replacement tank affect the truckโ€™s trip computer?

Most of the functions will still work, except the miles-to-empty feature. It will read as though you have the stock tank still installed.

Will my stock fuel gauge read properly with your replacement tank?

Yes, your stock fuel gauge will read accurately when our larger tank is installed on your vehicle, so when you gauge reads 1/2 tank, you have approximately 1/2 tank of fuel."

That didn't work so well on my '03 SD when I switch from stock to T-fer flow. What I ended up doing was when tank was at the "E", 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 marks, I simply just recorded how many gallons it took to fill from each mark. Then I wrote it down in notebook that I kept in cab. Makes it nice when it comes time to add additives. So here is what I came up for readings and gallons in tank and gallons to fill tank. Tank was a 46 gallon Transferflow.

F = 46 gal
3/4 = 35 gal (11 gal to fill)
1/2 = 26 gal (20 gal to fill)
1/4 = 17 gal (29 gal to fill)
E = 8 gal (38 gal to fill)
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
From the FAQs on transferflow.com:

"How will the larger replacement tank affect the truckโ€™s trip computer?

Most of the functions will still work, except the miles-to-empty feature. It will read as though you have the stock tank still installed.

Will my stock fuel gauge read properly with your replacement tank?

Yes, your stock fuel gauge will read accurately when our larger tank is installed on your vehicle, so when you gauge reads 1/2 tank, you have approximately 1/2 tank of fuel."
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have a different truck and different inbed fuel tank but I have not seen any problem as you ask. March 2005 was when our tank was installed.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

bigg-limo
Explorer
Explorer
I have bigger tanks on my Dodges, and wondered the same thing. I never asked them, because the distance to empty is never correct anyways. If you drive 10 miles, it won't have counted down 10 miles. The most noticeable difference is that it takes a whole lot longer before your fuel gauge will even move off of the Full mark.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Now if you are talking about a computer calculated 'miles to empty' or some such

Then the computer has to be told it now is calculating to a much larger tank
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree...they should have both explained it and supplied documentation

The sensor just senses 'level' inside the tank...not gallons

So half of what it used to be vs half of the new tank will just show up on the
dash gauge as 'half'...

Unless their tank has some oddities to it. Like it is pear shaped, so when the
'level' is half...there is 3/4's left, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
You should ask Transfer Flow people first, i bet you are not the first person with this question.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver