cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensating for GM crowned bed

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't discover this anomaly until about a year in when I noticed denting occurring in the front of the bed and on the camper where it meets the end of the bed. A result from the rocking motion from the built in see saw. Also noticed the distance from the bed rails to the camper was not uniform from front to back. Gap was less at rear.

So I made a wedge using 3 pieces of 3/16" wood sheets glued together. So its 9/16" on thick end and 3/16" at the thin end. Its 50" wide and 21" long. Then I slip that under the rear of my Dee Zee bed mat.

As you can see the mat leaves rubber on the wedge but little on the thin end leading me to think its too thick at 9/16" or too long.

So I wanna make another using 24" x 30" trucker mud flaps which will need trimmed.
MY QUESTIONS....
About how much drop is there on a 2016 Chevy short bed from the crown to the end of the bed?
Can I ignore putting anything on the other side of the crown?
15 REPLIES 15

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
On Ford trucks the bed is deeper at the back, to the top rails. Always makes campers look like they're falling off the back of the truck. 😞

How has the shimming worked for you? Road tested yet?

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
"Any more expensive and it's gonna be more profitable to sell your house in pieces!"

Now that's funny!!!

Avid_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:
My 2016 GMC long box is 7/16" drop at tailgate when straight edge is run from front of the box.
I need lift for my camper and use two 4'x8' 3/4" sheets of plywood. I shim those with a 1/2" x12" plywood piece across width of box at tailgate.

I have the same crowning issue on my 2016 Ford f350 dually. It's a bother, as it allows for a lot of camper rocking and stress cracks on the tail of the alum bed.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
dhull wrote:

So I cut my mud flaps back to 15" and added a 3/16" board in front of the thick portion of it to form a wedge of sorts. So I got the 7/16" thick at the back for 8" then its 1/4" thick out to the 15".

Thanks for all the replies...

Looks good, keep us updated. Thanks
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

dhull
Explorer
Explorer

So I cut my mud flaps back to 15" and added a 3/16" board in front of the thick portion of it to form a wedge of sorts. So I got the 7/16" thick at the back for 8" then its 1/4" thick out to the 15".

Thanks for all the replies...

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Z-Peller wrote:
....Shows pic of a Canadian 2x4...... a Newfie Straight edge

Nope, not a H depot airplane propeller...this one eyeballed carefully before using and was straight...my 4 foot level was 4 feet too short for this job.:B

LOL! And even at $9 each, they didn't get any straighter! 😄
Any more expensive and it's gonna be more profitable to sell your house in pieces!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:

Nope, not a H depot airplane propeller...this one eyeballed carefully before using and was straight...my 4 foot level was 4 feet too short for this job.:B

Thats funny! I couldn't use my 4 foot level either even on my short bed truck.

I haven't seen a 2x4 that straight for 30 years!

I got plan now, will post pics...

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
dhull wrote:
Didn't you trim some off the length of your mats?

No, you can buy semi mud flaps in different lengths, I think mine are 24".
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Z-Peller wrote:
when straight edge is run from front of the box.

....Shows pic of a Canadian 2x4...... a Newfie Straight edge :B
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 GMC long box is 7/16" drop at tailgate when straight edge is run from front of the box.
I need lift for my camper and use two 4'x8' 3/4" sheets of plywood. I shim those with a 1/2" x12" plywood piece across width of box at tailgate.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
There is a center crown in the box around the axle area to allow water drainage front and rear, it is obvious when I ran a 4' level lengthwise in the box. I put two rubber semi mud flaps side by side in the back half under my rubber camper mat, problem solved.

Didn't you trim some off the length of your mats?

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
There is a center crown in the box around the axle area to allow water drainage front and rear, it is obvious when I ran a 4' level lengthwise in the box. I put two rubber semi mud flaps side by side in the back half under my rubber camper mat, problem solved.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I first placed a 1&13/16” thick x 6” high piece of lumber across the front of the bed with a a 3/4” thick piece of HDPE attach to the lumber to keep the TC off of the front of the truck bed. I have a rubber bed mat in the bed, then I placed a piece 1/2” thick horse stall mat on the rear of the truck bed to compensate for the crown. I placed a straight edge, front to back, to find where the crown started to tapered to determine where to place the shim.