cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comparing Quality from a Manufacturer?

coolm19
Explorer
Explorer
How on earth do you tell which models are entry level, vs higher quality from the various manufacturers?

My husband and I are starting to shop for a replacement RV, but are having a hard time differentiating between entry level models and middle of the road and luxury. (We're looking for middle of the road in construction/amenities/quality).
24 REPLIES 24

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
Trust your eyes. Thoroughly inspect the unit, look beyond the surface if possible. I've found that doors and drawers are a good indicator of quality. Are they solid wood or waferboard, staples or screws or glue. I have found that most cabinet doors hinge screws are not long enough to stay in place. If possible have a salesman undo one and see how long it is. Ive had to replace several with longer screws. Price is also an indicator, "you get what you pay for" holds true in RV's. Decide on your budget, find a floor plan that you like, buy it then deal with the quirks that you will find after a few trips because you will have issues with your unit, regardless what you paid. Just expect problems and remember that the joy of going on trips outweigh the negatives.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping I look at how the whole unit is assembled concerning the different parts. On the frame I look for a stout frame that has extra gussets or bracing welded on. Like above the spring hangers.
I look for plywood and if there's OSB I move on.
I look to see how the cabinet drawers are built. Some use a thin piece of luan for the bottoms, others a thinner piece of plywood. How are the drawer fronts built. Some use 1/2"-5/8" thick wood and then attach the drawer face to that. Others use a small piece of 3/8" plywood. How solid do the cabinet doors feel?
I also look at how they finish off the basement areas and how they route plumbing and electrical wires. If they are just running pipes and wires wherever then that means they really don't care.
I then look up the R values and holding tank capacities. Generally on lower cheaply made units the holding tanks are smaller. As well as the cargo carrying capacity. R-values are lower too. Like 7-9 for walls and 14 for roofs and floors.
I look to see if the back wall is just filon laid over framing or is it a vacuum bonded or pinch rolled assembly.
Also look inside the lower cabinets and see how they run pipes and wires.
Are they using ligt weight Schwintek or cables on heavier long slides? Rack type are stronger and will last longer without the need for adjustments.
Also look at the wheels and axles. Are they 5, 6 or 8 lug. The more the lug nuts the stronger the assembly.
I look at warranties as well. Two's better than one year and some even offer a 1-2-3 year combination warranty.

IMO it's pretty easy to tell the lower end form the better models. Price is really the biggest factor in a particular MFG.
It' doesn't necessarily mean the more expensive one will out last the lower priced one. One thing for certain though is, and take Keystone for example. If you buy a Cougar X-lite 5th wheel and a Big Horn and use them the same way, then there's a very good chance that the Big Horn will be in better shape. If you only use each for a few weekends out of the year then the lower priced X-lite will hold up just fine. On the other end of the spectrum is that if you full timed in both then the Big Horn will hold up better.

You can't build quality in an RV for nothing. But there is a fair amount of bling added that can skew the comparison.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the models made by Riverside in Lagrange, In. After touring the factory I am convinced they try to do quality work. There are a lot of different models including, retro, slideouts, etc. We have been please with ours. Everyone is different and preference is the main thing. Look for what you want and go for it.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Certainly one thing to consider is weight for similar length rigs. Compare what you are looking at to the build on an Arctic Fox of similar size. Almost everything in the Fox is heavier build than many others.

Even compare the different model lines in the Northwood lineup. There is lots of clues when you start to look hard.

Good advice and exactly what we did....and then bought an Arctic Fox...It's our 4 travel trailer...all from different manufacturers. The Arctic Fox (Northwood Manufacturer) is by far the heaviest and the best... and the most expensive.

Also check the CC - carrying capacity. Very lightweight entry level units generally have a very low CC.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
One of the fastest and easiest ways to separate the sheep from the goats is to simply look at the cabinets inside the RV. If the cabinets are particle board or any kind of composition glued wood, I put that into a lower end model, regardless of how big or small it is. Middle to high end will use real wood for cabinets, and high end will use really top of the line wood that resembles customized made, hand crafted cabinets.

I do not think, "entry level" is a category for manufacturing quality. "Entry level" RV's (in my opinion) are based on size. Most folks start out smaller, and move up to bigger and bigger over time. Size of camper has nothing to do with it's quality or the type of RV either. A very small Airstream is still a better quality camper than some of the biggest of other manufacturers. It's not the size, it's the way it's built and the materials that go into it that make it a high-end RV.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not married to any brand, any manufacturer can make a good RV or a inexpensive RV all in the same building. All of the different brand names of any manufacturer are not all of the same quality. If for instance you buy a Forest River product, they have zillions of brand names and different model names within those brand names. Just because your neighbor has a Rockwood "whatever" doesn't mean if you buy a Rockwood "something else" they are of the same quality. One could be built for full-timing and last forever while the other is built for an entry level buyer, built for occasional use, and built to be inexpensive. Totally different target audience, totally different build quality, totally different target price range, same brand, same manufacturer.

This is a major purchase and should not be taken lightly. You should take your time and do your research first before you plunk your money down. This forum is just one little piece of it. There is a lot of good information here and some that is really a disservice to you.

The only way to determine quality is by getting your blue jeans dirty. Inspect the RV stem to stern, climb over, under, around and inside every nook and cranny; open drawers, look behind panels, lift up seat cushions; crawl underneath it and look at the frame and everything underneath; compare what you see to many, many different brands (within similar price ranges) and determine how the unit is really built, what itโ€™s made out of, and how its put together.

When I inspected the different brands I looked at craftsmanship, type of construction, materials, thickness of materials, methods of jointing, welding, bracing, etc. From that I was able to eliminate several brands within similar price ranges right off the top. After that I looked at floorplans and the ability to use the TT while traveling (like stopping for lunch or a quick potty break) without opening it up. And this narrowed the decision down more. You have to do your homework. It took me over 9 months to do the thorough research necessary before I put my money down.

You need to know what you are buying, what your intended use is, how long you plan to keep it, and then you can decide what price range you are shopping for. Bang for the buck first (quality), then comes the floor plans and other amenities.

coolm19
Explorer
Explorer
So just reading the brochure info pretty much and the Internet? What are the most important things to look for regarding construction?

For instance, we're looking at specific layout or two of a Forest River Rockwood Ultralite, Salem Hemisphere, Wildwood Heritage Glen and Surveyor. Their websites aren't a huge help, but the brochures give more detailed information.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly one thing to consider is weight for similar length rigs. Compare what you are looking at to the build on an Arctic Fox of similar size. Almost everything in the Fox is heavier build than many others.

Even compare the different model lines in the Northwood lineup. There is lots of clues when you start to look hard.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Look past the glitz and glitter. Build quality is whats its all about.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your dilemma and had a bit of a time figuring out which way to go before dispassionately reading specifications AND understanding the "best" way to build an RV.

Lots of internet info out there so get to it before making a choice.
HTH:).