cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachmen Trailer rims warning

Buzzcut
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up to those who own a Coachmen travel trailer or who may be purchasing one in the future. We have a 2016 321 Freedom Express Liberty with only a limited amount of trips. I take pride in keeping it very clean and immaculate however the finish on the aluminum rims are starting to deteriorate after only two years. Itโ€™s a disgrace that I had to take the Chinese bomb tires off after only a year but now these rims will need to be replaced as well. The manufacturer , Lionshead tire and wheel, were absolutely no help whatsoever and stated that I should not waxed them once the finish started to deteriorate.
Iโ€™m just holding my breath wondering whatโ€™s gonna need replacing next.??
Dave & Jerrolyn, Zachary, Jake & Maxx and lab "Cody"
'00 Newmar Dutch Star 4093 CAT powered pusher.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Buzzcut39
10 REPLIES 10

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Buzzcut wrote:
Sorry fellows, but if Coachmen uses these inferior rims on their Rvโ€™s that they sell then it is part of their problem, IMHO.

No, it's not Coachmen's problem. Just like if your refrigerator dies, it's a NORCOLD / DOMETIC issue, not a Coachmen problem.
If your Axle implodes, same story - it's not a Coachmen problem, it's a DEXTER / LCI / other axle manufacturer problem.

The RV manufacturer doesn't warranty those items, hence it's "not their issue to fix"

This whole repair business for RVs blows my mind. If my Bosch ECU goes out on my truck, GM fixes it, not Bosch. Same with parts made in china on my Harley, those companies don't repair them, Harley does.

IMO, if you stick your name on a product then you should stand behind everything in it. RV dealers save a lot of $$ by shuffling customers off to the manufacturer of a given part and around the mulberry bush everyone goes as they point fingers going in circles. No integrity in those companies who do this.
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut wrote:
Sorry fellows, but if Coachmen uses these inferior rims on their Rvโ€™s that they sell then it is part of their problem, IMHO.

No, it's not Coachmen's problem. Just like if your refrigerator dies, it's a NORCOLD / DOMETIC issue, not a Coachmen problem.
If your Axle implodes, same story - it's not a Coachmen problem, it's a DEXTER / LCI / other axle manufacturer problem.

The RV manufacturer doesn't warranty those items, hence it's "not their issue to fix"
Bob

Buzzcut
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Jerrolyn, Zachary, Jake & Maxx and lab "Cody"
'00 Newmar Dutch Star 4093 CAT powered pusher.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Buzzcut39

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Thread title should be about Lionshead wheels, not Coachmen RV.

Lionshead supplies wheels to a lot of RV manufacturers.

Any exposure to road de-icer . salt, etc will cause them to look like c-r-a-p a lot faster.

I ordered some Lionshead wheels from Etrailer.com. 1 was damaged to to poor packaging at Etrailer. THey sent a return shipping label and replaced the wheel.

I later ordered 2 more, they also had poor packaging resulted in damage. I got irritated at that point and asked to return all of them, then switched my order to Silver mod Dexstar wheels.
Bob

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s not a Coachmen problem. Those rims are found on bunches of campers. Just more cheap stuff from China. I took mine off and replaced them with plain old white Dexstars when I changed tires. Not particularly fancy, but Iโ€™m way beyond any desire for bling.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut wrote:
Just a heads up to those who own a Coachmen travel trailer or who may be purchasing one in the future. We have a 2016 321 Freedom Express Liberty with only a limited amount of trips. I take pride in keeping it very clean and immaculate however the finish on the aluminum rims are starting to deteriorate after only two years. Itโ€™s a disgrace that I had to take the Chinese bomb tires off after only a year but now these rims will need to be replaced as well. The manufacturer , Lionshead tire and wheel, were absolutely no help whatsoever and stated that I should not waxed them once the finish started to deteriorate.
Iโ€™m just holding my breath wondering whatโ€™s gonna need replacing next.??

Take them off and polish and clearcoat them. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I bought new aluminum wheels when I changed out the bombs. They have developed corrosion tracks out from the center despite being garaged except when being used and never exposed to salted roads. I suspect that the stainless steel centers are much of the problem with the unlike metals reacting. In the future, I will look for cheap plastic centers and give the wheels an additional shot of clear coat before use.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Your aluminum wheels are oxidizing. Thats normal. Wash and polish with aluminum polish and they will look like new. Don't use wax.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
If that is the worst thing to happen... Thank your lucky stars
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I got 5 yrs out of the China bombs that were on our Freedom Express before one of them unexpectedly split but never had any issues with the rims, look good as new with nothing special done other than the occasional washing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380